Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help making an argument for buying a Mac

Need help making an argument for buying a Mac
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hi

My family is going to buy a computer for my younger brother who is about to finish his confirmation(don't know if it's the right term) and I'd appreciate some help from you guys.

There are three computers I prefer to give him

1. iMac
2. iBook
3. Mac Mini.

The problem is that my family would rather buy a PC for him since that is what they currently use at home. This of course I cannot accept

So what I thought you could help me with is to find some reviews on these computers, but preferably from some PC based sites. There is a slight difference in prices that I need to be able to explain to them is irrelevant or actually to Apple's benefit(you know the drill).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 01:28 PM

No Virus'
No Spyware
No real security issues

If that doesn't sell them they are idiots.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

hayesk
Mar 23, 2005, 01:32 PM

Also mention to the parents that there are less games to distract him from school work.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 01:37 PM

This comes up often enough we really need a Switcher's Guide FAQ or a Why Mac over PC sticky.

I mean seriously. The arguments haven't really changed in the years that I've lurked/been around.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 01:48 PM

In the long run, with all the extra costs (for regular users) of keeping a Wintel machine in optimal conditions, any of the Apple machines you mention will be cheaper.

Originally posted by paul w:
This comes up often enough we really need a Switcher's Guide FAQ or a Why Mac over PC sticky.

I mean seriously. The arguments haven't really changed in the years that I've lurked/been around.
<Mod reply>Great, put it together and we'll use it.</Mod reply>

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2005, 01:51 PM

Comes with cool stickers,

'nuf said.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 01:53 PM

This is all you need:

http://www.apple.com/switch/
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 02:10 PM

With Apple's little game support, you will have one little P.O.d brother.

That said, hopefully he has a gaming console too. Kids like videogames.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2005, 02:17 PM

Does your brother have any aspirations for graphic design, movie editing, anything in that area? 'Cause then you could always tell your parents that getting him a Mac would most likely improve both his productivity and give him an advantage if he plans to study it later on.

(Och jo, confirmation �r det r�tta ordet at anv�nda p� �ngelska f�r 7:andeklasseskonfirmationen. Om han f�r sin Mac eller ej, hoppas din bror f�r en j�ttebra konfirmation f�r det - och f�rl�t f�r min fruktansv�rd d�liga svenska, jag �r ju dansk...)

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Does your brother have any aspirations for graphic design, movie editing, anything in that area? 'Cause then you could always tell your parents that getting him a Mac would most likely improve both his productivity and give him an advantage if he plans to study it later on.

(Och jo, confirmation �r det r�tta ordet at anv�nda p� �ngelska f�r 7:andeklasseskonfirmationen. Om han f�r sin Mac eller ej, hoppas din bror f�r en j�ttebra konfirmation f�r det - och f�rl�t f�r min fruktansv�rd d�liga svenska, jag �r ju dansk...)
He's the family "artist". He loves drawing, painting etc, as well as being very good on the piano and is about to start a band with a few friends of his. So I thought a Mac with PS and Garageband would be great for him

(din svenska �r i alla fall b�ttre �n min danska)

And thanks guys for the help. I've done pretty much everything you've mentioned but am still looking for some good articles.

Thanks again

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 03:04 PM

Do a search for the Anandtech articles. They're somewhat flawed due to Anand's inexperience with Macs, but at least you know he's not biased against PC's.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 04:03 PM

focus on the iLife software, security, good price (those three items are all amazing for their respective price/performance), and compatibility. Focus on basic stuff like office for mac, etc.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
focus on the iLife software, security, good price (those three items are all amazing for their respective price/performance), and compatibility. Focus on basic stuff like office for mac, etc.
Price is not a good argument in this part of the world. Macs are still much more expensive than their counterpart PCs. The PB I'm looking at is $2,549 in Apple Store USA, but $3,500 in Apple Store DK, so don't go with price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules