Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush supporters.... could you explain this?

Bush supporters.... could you explain this?
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 06:16 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4652286.stm

"The Iranians have said 'We want a weapon' and it's not in the world's interests that they have a weapon," Mr Bush said in Washington.
ummmm, would this be a lie or could you perhaps find where the Iranians have said that?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2006, 06:22 PM

Well, they want to "wipe Israel off the map", I'd imagine they'd need some pretty potent weapons to do that... A person would have to be stupidly naive to think Iran wants this technology just for the sake of nuclear power, especially considering how much oil they're sitting on.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 06:45 PM

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...395753,00.html

[…] the head of the IAEA, Mohammed Elbaradei […] no longer excludes the possibility that Iran has a secret atomic weapons program in addition to those nuclear activities known to the IAEA. "If they have the nuclear material and they have a parallel weaponization program along the way, they are really not very far -- a few months -- from a weapon," he said in the interview.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2006, 07:58 PM

Maybe we could 'GIVE' a few to Iran.

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell

ummmm, would this be a lie or could you perhaps find where the Iranians have said that?
I think you are stretching here. Iran's intentions are pretty clear.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2006, 08:28 PM

Who is the guy on the picture, and how did he become "they"?
Who are "the Iranians"? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2006, 08:51 PM

The Iranians are the folks who kidnapped our citizens at the American embassy and held them for 333 days.

We haven't yet had the chance to even the score for that one. But we soon will.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
The Iranians are the folks who kidnapped our citizens at the American embassy and held them for 333 days.
The Americans are the folks who toppled the Iranian democracy and installed a dictatorship.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2006, 09:23 PM

And we can do it again.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 11:09 PM

And we can do it again.
can we? really? okay, i'll play along. what lessons will the US bring to iran, taking into account that we've played there before and were burned?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 11:14 PM

remember, no one ever uttered the phrase 'imminent threat'.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 11:22 PM

And we can do it again.
Yeah. We saw that in Viet-Nam...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2006, 05:48 AM

Which conflict was it that France won?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(oh, I surrender)

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 06:11 AM

I see no one has found where the Iranians said this.

So I take it this is a lie then.

Continue spinning. It's probably good for your health or something.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The Americans are the folks who toppled the Iranian democracy and installed a dictatorship.

Hehe there is that IRONY thing again.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2006, 10:38 AM

I noticed Bush in his recent speech and he seemed particularly troubled. I think it was a bumblingly unintelligent thing to say. Most of the surveys and polls I see show an Iranian more pro-West than ever (the people, not the government) and an unwillingness to attain "peace and tranquility" through nuclear means. in short, I agree with you in part Von, I believe it was a stupid thing to say and didn't qualify by indicating the apparent dsconnect between a government and her people. I don't think it was a lie so much as a bumble of words. The Iranian government, I believe well-supported by facts and rightly under suspicion by many more than just the US administration, is interested in nuclear weapons technology. The majority of Iranian people however seem not to be. I wished at times I had a more eloquent leader, but I don't regard this as an outright lie.
ebuddy

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2006, 01:10 PM

Which conflict was it that France won?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(oh, I surrender)
But you haven't finished making fun of the Jews and Poles.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by OSX Abuser
Interestingly, I just heard a story on the radio about a CIA project that gave flawed plans for a nuclear weapon to Iran. Seems that we were trying to get evidence that they wanted to build a bomb, so we were going to help them build enough to get the evidence. Of course, between China and Russia, the flaws were quickly identified.....

I thought that was interesting. Sorry I don't have a link.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by boots
Interestingly, I just heard a story on the radio about a CIA project that gave flawed plans for a nuclear weapon to Iran. Seems that we were trying to get evidence that they wanted to build a bomb, so we were going to help them build enough to get the evidence. Of course, between China and Russia, the flaws were quickly identified.....

yeah. i heard that too. brilliant plan ("project merlin"?). fabricating evidence and reasons... so were does the ME seem to get it's wmd's?

also, the CIA inadvertently sent a double agent contact info for it's agents in iran. afterwards our intellegence gathering ability was rolled up in short order.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OSX Abuser
Nuclear power plants and other peaceful applications of the technology? They've been offered repeatedly, by the US and by several European countries, in exchange for giving up the program. These offers have been refused every time they were offered.

Why waste the money to reinvent the wheel with peaceful applications of nuclear technology, when you have multiple nations willing to give that technology to you? What rational reason exists, unless what you want is something they aren't willing to give?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Nuclear power plants and other peaceful applications of the technology? They've been offered repeatedly, by the US and by several European countries, in exchange for giving up the program. These offers have been refused every time they were offered.

Why waste the money to reinvent the wheel with peaceful applications of nuclear technology, when you have multiple nations willing to give that technology to you? What rational reason exists, unless what you want is something they aren't willing to give?
i think by 'GIVE' he meant dropping some out of an airplane.

the refusal for russian enrichment and disposal is a little disconcerting. it's a win-win situation. i think it might have something to do with national pride though - no country likes to be told what they can or can't do - and nuclear power is on a pretty high pedestal, from a technological standpoint. it would show their sophistication.

plus, why use your own cheap oil, when you can sell it for a lot more.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium

Because they have seen what happens when you get dependent on Western nations on anything. Trusting the US or the EU on this would be a suicide.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Well, they want to "wipe Israel off the map", I'd imagine they'd need some pretty potent weapons to do that...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2006, 10:11 AM

Well, they want to "wipe Israel off the map", I'd imagine they'd need some pretty potent weapons to do that...
Not necessarily ...

Now, if they said they want to wipe Israel off the face of the planet ...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Now, if they said they want to wipe Israel off the face of the planet ...
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was saying.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 12:01 PM

I think many of us missed his threat to the USA, to!

It wasn't just a world without Zionism and Israel that Ahmadinejad and his friends in Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and other terrorist groups were envisioning. It was a world without the United States of America.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, it is literally true. Examine for yourself the photos published here of Ahmadinejad addressing the Tehran conference Oct. 26, 2005.

Some of them will look very familiar. Those showing the Iranian president gesticulating at a podium showing the name of the conference were published worldwide – from Al-Jazeera to the Associated Press. But those showing a wider view – and the complete poster for the event – are getting their biggest audience yet here in WND.

It is worth noting that Ahmadinejad didn't just stroll up to the podium. The Iranian government actually produced the visual aids you see here.

Yes, that is a ball representing the USA cracked at the bottom of that hourglass — with another representing Israel falling later.

It wasn't just the imagery of the conference that was overlooked, ignored, unreported and underplayed by the world press. It was also the anti-American substance of Ahmadinejad's speech.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

"Is it possible for us to witness a world without America and Zionism?" he asked. "But you had best know that this slogan and this goal are attainable, and surely can be achieved."

What is he talking about?

Iran has developed a strategic "war preparation plan" for what it calls the "destruction of Anglo-Saxon civilization."
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=48430
http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/new...p?storyid=4164

"I am hopeful that just as the Palestinian nation continued its struggle for the past ten years, it will continue to maintain its awareness and vigilance. This phase is going to be short-lived. If we put it behind us successfully, God willing, it will pave the way for the annihilation of the Zionist regime and it will be a downhill route.

I warn all the leaders in the Islamic world to beware of this conspiracy. If any of them takes a step towards the recognition of this regime [Israel], then he will burn in the fire of the Islamic umma (nation) and will have eternal shame stamped on his forehead, regardless of whether he did this under pressure by the dominant powers, or lack of understanding or naiveté or selfishness or worldly incentives...The issue of Palestine is the issue of the Islamic world. Those who are closeted behind closed doors cannot make decisions on this issue and the Islamic nation does not allow this historical enemy to exist at the heart of the Islamic world."
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
I noticed Bush in his recent speech and he seemed particularly troubled. I think it was a bumblingly unintelligent thing to say. Most of the surveys and polls I see show an Iranian more pro-West than ever (the people, not the government) and an unwillingness to attain "peace and tranquility" through nuclear means. in short, I agree with you in part Von, I believe it was a stupid thing to say and didn't qualify by indicating the apparent dsconnect between a government and her people. I don't think it was a lie so much as a bumble of words. The Iranian government, I believe well-supported by facts and rightly under suspicion by many more than just the US administration, is interested in nuclear weapons technology. The majority of Iranian people however seem not to be. I wished at times I had a more eloquent leader, but I don't regard this as an outright lie.
Though I disagree with you I have to thank you for giving the first honest answer in this thread.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2006, 11:08 PM

Oh, believe me, I agree completely. There are many other places where his goals are quite obvious. I'm just saying there are many ways to interpret how he sees those goals being met, nuclear weapons being only one possibility.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to conclude from the oft quoted "wipe Israel off the map" statement that Iran is developing nuclear weapons.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2006, 12:50 AM

"Mahmoud Ahmadinejad"

Now you see why so many people simply refer to him as "Iran's president" in conversation.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by boots

here are a couple about Merlin from the man who brought us NSA domestic wire-tapping ("State of War" by James Risen)

'CIA bungling hands Iran vital A-bomb clue'

George Bush insists that Iran must not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons. So why, six years ago, did the CIA give the Iranians blueprints to build a bomb?

MERLIN: The CIA, Iran, And The Bomb

hmm, couldn't find it on google news... enjoy

Forum Links
Forum Rules