Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Missing moderators

Missing moderators
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 08:47 PM

Or perhaps they are just all busy.

Just wondering since when it became OK to call Muslims/Arabs "cameljockeys".

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=283928&page=3

Powerbook post near the end of the page.

(and is there no way of direct linking to posts anymore?)

ps. yes, I reported it a while ago.
( Last edited by von Wrangell; Feb 1, 2006 at 08:53 PM. )

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2006, 10:03 PM

Not going to address the language thing, but you can direct link to posts — it's just kind of hidden. If you mouse over the reply button, the end of the link will be "p=something", where something is the number of the post. The direct link to that post will then be the page's address + "#post" + the post's number. So that one, for example, is http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...=3#post2862645.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Not going to address the language thing, but you can direct link to posts — it's just kind of hidden. If you mouse over the reply button, the end of the link will be "p=something", where something is the number of the post. The direct link to that post will then be the page's address + "#post" + the post's number. So that one, for example, is http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...=3#post2862645.
Thanks.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Nick
Feb 1, 2006, 11:02 PM

I would add it too the censor list but...

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
How about just removing it from the post and warn (or temp/permanent ban) the poster?

And I see that vmarks (who's a mod in the PL) has posted yet did nothing about it. Does that mean it is an accepted term around here for Muslims/Arabs?

(not trying to pick a fight or anything just want a clarification on the policy on these matters)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
How about just removing it from the post and warn (or temp/permanent ban) the poster?
Actually I think Nick was hinting at was at one point he went and changed the profantiy filter to all of MACNN to filter out macupdate. I'm not sure why but he got some sort of hair across his butt.

Since then the Mods, staff and admins have made policy changes to people don't go on and inflict their own form of revenge/punishment/modifications

Mike

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Actually I think Nick was hinting at was at one point he went and changed the profantiy filter to all of MACNN to filter out macupdate. I'm not sure why but he got some sort of hair across his butt.

Since then the Mods, staff and admins have made policy changes to people don't go on and inflict their own form of revenge/punishment/modifications

Mike
Yeah, I forgot about that.

But I'm still wondering about that remark PB made. Is it the official policy of MacNN to tolerate racism now? Would it take as long for the mods to do something about someone who would call Jews "kikes" for instance? Or if someone called Africans "niggers"? How about Asians and "rice"?

Would that be tolerated? I doubt it.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 09:23 AM

I am in agreement with von on this one. Lots of offensive slang being thrown around lately.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 10:54 AM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 02:38 PM

... I'd rather sulk in the corner and cry because the admins didn't let me add "MacUpdate" to the swearing filter.

I mean, 'cause "MacUpdate" is far more offensive than any old pansy racial slur! How dare we use such a word as the "M word" on a forum where children could read it! Oh, my virgin ears!

... er, eyes. Or something.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nick
Feb 2, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
... I'd rather sulk in the corner and cry because the admins didn't let me add "MacUpdate" to the swearing filter.

I mean, 'cause "MacUpdate" is far more offensive than any old pansy racial slur! How dare we use such a word as the "M word" on a forum where children could read it! Oh, my virgin ears!

... er, eyes. Or something.
will do

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 03:14 PM

will do
Will do what?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nick
Feb 2, 2006, 03:23 PM

Sulk in the corner and cry because the admins didn't let me add "PointlessTurtleHouse" to the swearing filter.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 09:13 PM

"PointlessTurtleHouse" .
Wow, from cameljockeys to turtlehouses...

Railroader
Banned
Feb 2, 2006, 10:33 PM

Racist comments seem to be welcome here. I have pointed out a number by Rolling Bone's posts with racist comments and he has yet to even get a warning as far as I know. He now taunts me with the fact that he gets away with it.

Sorry you have to read such a ignorant racial slur VW.

I think racist comments should be grounds for an instant ban for one week. Do it again and banned for a month. Third time, you're out.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2006, 11:56 PM

The rules are as they have always been: Just because you or someone else may manage to get away with something doesn't mean that it is now okay to violate the rules.

Just because vW happens to take offense does not mean it is now ok for all manner of other offensive words to be used. There's a lot of bile in the Pol/Lounge forum, and very little time to track it all.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 2, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Just because vW happens to take offense does not mean it is now ok for all manner of other offensive words to be used.
This sentence makes no sense to me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2006, 12:12 AM

It's not like vW doesn't dish out stuff himself...

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Racist comments seem to be welcome here. I have pointed out a number by Rolling Bone's posts with racist comments and he has yet to even get a warning as far as I know. He now taunts me with the fact that he gets away with it.

Sorry you have to read such a ignorant racial slur VW.

I think racist comments should be grounds for an instant ban for one week. Do it again and banned for a month. Third time, you're out.
Thank you.

Not often we agree but this is one of those few instances.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks
The rules are as they have always been: Just because you or someone else may manage to get away with something doesn't mean that it is now okay to violate the rules.

Just because vW happens to take offense does not mean it is now ok for all manner of other offensive words to be used.

There's a lot of bile in the Pol/Lounge forum, and very little time to track it all.
That's why I reported it as I know you guys (moderators) don't have time to read everything.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 11:27 AM

While the moderators may not think so, "camelj*ckey" is just as much an offensive racial slur to muslims/arabs as "n*gger" is to black people (especially when used by a white person).

Since "n*gger" is in the offensive language filter, the request is for "camelj*ckey" to go in it as well.

This is orders of magnitude worse than adding "Macupdate" to the filter.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 11:38 AM

There are a lot that should go on there as well. But they wont add them

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Since "n*gger" is in the offensive language filter, the request is for "camelj*ckey" to go in it as well.
Then people will just spell it "camel jockey" instead of "cameljockey."

Not really. While this may allow offensive people to say offensive things without having 0.5% of the post starred out, at least it doesn't break perfectly useful posts. Unbeknownst to some people, there are parts of this site that are actually about Mac software and not just angry political name-calling.

Incidentally, are you so much more offended by somebody saying "Those cameljockeys are all terrorists who hate our American values" than you would be by somebody saying "Those ***********s are all terrorists who hate our American values"? It would be pretty clear from context who they're insulting and what they think of them either way.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Nick
Feb 3, 2006, 01:21 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it wouldnt break existing posts unless they were edited.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2006, 06:00 PM

While the moderators may not think so, "camelj*ckey" is just as much an offensive racial slur to muslims/arabs as "n*gger" is to black people (especially when used by a white person).

In case you don't understand, we DO think that camel* is offensive.

Shoot, most of the terrorists who blow themselves up in automobiles use toyotas, mercedes, and isuzus. Donkeys have been used as means for bomb delivery. Camels are pretty much modes of transportation in Morroco* and areas where Bedouin live. Use of the term camel* is inaccurate and offensive.

* My wife's cousin's father was offered 8 camels as a dowry.

Just because the offensive term stays online for a few days does not entitle vW to go posting many other offensive terms as he has done in this thread or in the one that prompted this thread.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 3, 2006, 06:12 PM

i've been busy (and still am).

not everything is a conspiracy or intentionally jerky.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 06:29 PM

Pitchfork Stabber!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2006, 06:57 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it wouldnt break existing posts unless they were edited.
Um, when you added "MacUpdate" to the filter, it did modify all the existing posts in a bunch of threads, unless that was you doing it manually.

Are you ever going to just let this go? I think you need a vacation.

Nick
Feb 4, 2006, 03:36 AM

Um, when you added "MacUpdate" to the filter, it did modify all the existing posts in a bunch of threads, unless that was you doing it manually.
In fact, I was.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 11:41 AM

If racial slurs produce intellitxt links, then I don't see the problem.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 12:09 PM

What about the word "redneck" ?

See, I get called a "redneck" quite often - but I'm not sure if it's a term of endearment or if it's a derogatory comment.

For example;

Spliff, you're a backward-assed inbred cornbread-eating redneck hillbilly...

When, in reality, I *do* eat a lot of cornbread...but my neck is not red and my parents weren't blood relatives. My ass appears to be in the back, so that part is true. And I *am* a hillbilly.

I'm confused.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 01:00 PM

http://www.camelraces.com/

Camel Jockeys in the Middle East

It is a fact that any animal can travel faster with a small rider than with a large one. Horse and camel jockeys are chosen for their size, but it would take a little effort to find small adults to ride the camels. Around the Middle East, rather than make this effort, child slaves are used as jockeys on the camels. It is easier for the oil rich gulf countries to continue, as they have done for hundreds of years, to buy children from the poorer countries across the gulf in the Indian subcontinent and to force them to work as camel jockeys.

And one should presume that calling an actual camel jockey a camel jockey wouldn't be offensive. Or would it?

However, all kidding aside, there is no place for such slurs. Seriously.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
What about the word "redneck" ?

See, I get called a "redneck" quite often - but I'm not sure if it's a term of endearment or if it's a derogatory comment.

For example;

Spliff, you're a backward-assed inbred cornbread-eating redneck hillbilly...

When, in reality, I *do* eat a lot of cornbread...but my neck is not red and my parents weren't blood relatives. My ass appears to be in the back, so that part is true. And I *am* a hillbilly.

I'm confused.
I've been saying this for years.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
i've been busy (and still am).

not everything is a conspiracy or intentionally jerky.
Didn't think it was a conspiracy or anything. Just thought it was a bit weird how long it took. That and that vmarks posted IIRC three times before doing anything about it in that thread.

But since it's been dealt with there's no problem.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
That and that vmarks posted IIRC three times before doing anything about it in that thread.
And that is what this is really about isn't it?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
And that is what this is really about isn't it?
bizarre enough.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 05:05 PM

That von likes to make big deals out of things that pertain to vmarks?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 01:18 AM

"The Jews are leeches, they're all leeches"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 02:25 AM

You could make the argument for racist statements in this thread too

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
That von likes to make big deals out of things that pertain to vmarks?
That vmarks is a representative of the powers-that-be, yet sees no problem with letting borderline or truly offensive content slide - or providing it himself on occasion.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 07:19 AM

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 7, 2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
That vmarks is a representative of the powers-that-be, yet sees no problem with letting borderline or truly offensive content slide - or providing it himself on occasion.
Hmm, I never read that. Where are you getting your information from?

I did hear him say

"There's a lot of bile in the Pol/Lounge forum, and very little time to track it all."

Not that he saw no problem with letting such content slide.

No need to exaggerate.

And CharlesS, That's a keeper!

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 09:10 AM

Solution

Did notice you got tooki twice - and I also believe nick is "gone...."
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 09:49 AM

In fact, I was.
You were manually editing and censoring all posts where MacUpdate was mentioned?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ω
Solution

You win a one-legged hampstor !

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ω
Yep, Tooki getting duped was due to a mistake on my part. I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
You were manually editing and censoring all posts where MacUpdate was mentioned?
Not the most efficient use of time for a MacNN Staff member... perhaps his replacement will help fix the problems with the server instead.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 06:40 PM

Not the most efficient use of time for a MacNN Staff member... perhaps his replacement will help fix the problems with the server instead.
Well, if I ran the place, I would have taken away Nick's computer and locked him in a human-sized hamster-wheel

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 10:05 PM

I'd have gone for the Machine for Calming Violent Lunatics meself...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 01:16 AM

Yep, Tooki getting duped was due to a mistake on my part. I was wondering if anyone would notice that.
What happened to Tookie?

Indeed. I can't believe that. I don't understand why this guy was given the position he was. It seems to me as if he was put there because he knows someone or is related to someone on the staff. And I can't help but think that he's a rather young and/or immature individual judging by his posts, actions and his (I believe) Eminem sig.

Forum Links
Forum Rules