Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB G4 - Vertical 1-px magenta line down the screen

17" PB G4 - Vertical 1-px magenta line down the screen
naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 10:32 PM

Hi guys

I've got a 17" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz with 1GB RAM running Leopard.

Since last night, the display has been acting weird - There's this vertical 1-pixel-wide magenta line that appears at the end of the first third of the display.

It seems laid on top of everything else. It is mostly persistent, but occasionally disappears (only to return) at random times. What's up with this?

I think I've had this problem maybe two years ago or so, and I had it fixed by AppleCare. The machine's AppleCare's long over now. While I'd really like to have a new machine, I'm holding up for the June Intel platform refresh. What can I do in the meantime?

Also, having gotten this problem twice (if not more often), I wonder if this is a widespread issue with PowerBooks/MacBooks? I couldn't find any similar thread in the archives though.

Thanks for your help!

iMan G5
Mar 4, 2008, 10:40 PM

It is a widespread issue with many PB's but I am not sure about yours. Pretty soon, it will be permanent and more will show if it is the same thing.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 10:42 PM

Hey iMan thanks for the really quick reply! What's the source of the problem? Dying LCD? Some display cable? Is there anything that can be done about it?

Also, does this affect the current MBPs? My replacement machine is likely to be one, unless I'll face this issue too

iMan G5
Mar 4, 2008, 11:00 PM

If I remember correctly it is due to the video card malfunctioning. Apple would repair it most likely if you pay them the cash I think.

The MBP's use a different GPU card and I have not heard of anything like this on a MBP.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks for your advice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules