Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black MacBook optical drive problems

Black MacBook optical drive problems
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 27, 2008, 07:59 PM

I got a black MacBook 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo in January. Great machine... except for the optical drive, the GSA-S10N. I first ran into problems a few months ago with writing to darker colored Memorex CDs. I figured maybe the drive was just sensitive to some weird variations and chose my media more accordingly.

But then I ran into problems reading DVDs that I burned from my G4 desktop's Pioneer drive. Yet every other machine, Playstation 3, the G4, my old Powerbook, and standalone DVD players could read the media just fine.

I ran into this problem again when trying to play some older burned DVDs. I tried something else recently; I tossed my Memorex media and got Verbatim DVD+Rs and got an external burner. I had Toast read from the external burner and had the GSA-S10N write to the DVD+Rs (which it recognized as blank media). After writing, the drive fails to recognize the DVD and after trying to spin it up for a minute, just ejects it.

This is 2008. Even a first generation 2003 laptop SuperDrive didn't do this. What should I do?

ibook_steve
May 27, 2008, 08:25 PM

You probably have a bad drive. It happens. Get it repaired as a warranty repair.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
May 28, 2008, 02:24 PM

After Googling the issue, I tried the "upside down trick" and the discs sometimes mount fine if I hold the MacBook upside down. They have no problems playing in the upright position either, the only trouble is the initial mount.

Problem is they should mount in the normal upright position. Anyone know why this would be?

SamoanDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2008, 10:10 AM

No, but it seems as of late Apple has had a a lot of trouble with their Superdrives. I have had to have them replaced in 2 of my machines under Apple Care.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
May 29, 2008, 06:10 PM

Yup, of the 3 Intel Mac's that I have, two have had Superdrive problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules