Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New iCloud account hacking tool dodges Apple safeguards

New iCloud account hacking tool dodges Apple safeguards
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 2, 2015, 12:50 PM

A new hacking tool available on GitHub is claimed to be able to brute-force access to an iCloud account in a way that avoids Apple safeguards. Dubbed iDict, the tool performs "dictionary" attacks on target iCloud email addresses. Normally these would be stopped by Apple's rate-limiting measures for logins, but iDict disguises itself as an iPhone, a device which for whatever reason is exempt from those limits. At present, the malware offers little threat, but could become more menacing.

In its current incarnation, the tool is believed to pose little danger to users. It has a dictionary of just 500 words, which should make any even mildly-complex password safe. Because the hack uses a simple trick, it should also be easily fixable by Apple.

At the same time, though, the company has yet to make that fix, and a third party could potentially take the GitHub source code and upgrade it with a bigger dictionary and/or a way of randomizing password suggestions. As always, strong passwords that rely on a mix of random letters and numbers, along with two-step verification, should nullify any risk.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 3, 2015 at 07:56 AM. )

hayesk
Jan 2, 2015, 02:43 PM

For now. When Apple gets light of this, they can easily rate limit iPhones.

In the meantime, use a strong password.

pairof9s
Senior User
Jan 2, 2015, 02:48 PM

Gosh, I better change my password from "password" to something new.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jan 2, 2015, 03:53 PM

Apple is seeming a bit sloppy on cyber security. Late to the game on 2-step verification, implemented only as a response to a very public incident, and more backdoors like this.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2015, 04:24 PM

Bummer. I am changing mine to 12345 (Spaceball).

Forum Links
Forum Rules