Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New iPhones announced: 6s, 6s Plus features new '3D Touch'

New iPhones announced: 6s, 6s Plus features new '3D Touch'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2015, 02:36 PM

Apple on Wednesday announced the expected new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, retaining the same screen sizes and form factor as the previous iPhone, but with substantially upgraded internals and software -- and a new color option. The news was largely as expected, but with confirmed specifics such as the new A9 processor. A new feature based on Force Touch, called 3D Touch, now offers new and more advanced gestures and features, such as Peek and Pop, not previously seen in Force Touch devices.

The technology of 3D Touch integrated into the backlight for capacitive sensing, along with a new haptic engine borrowed from the Retina MacBook and Apple Watch. The technique allows "peeks" into other apps, such as pressing down on a phone number to bring up the relevant contact card or offer to move to Contacts to create a new contact, or press on Maps to automatically summon up directions to home from wherever one is.

Other expected items, such as the upgraded 12MP rear camera (and 5MP front-facing FaceTime camera), and improved graphics using the Metal API are also included. A small surprise was that the screen itself of the iPhone has become a True Tone flash for the "selfie" camera, flashing three times more brightly than normal when used as a flash. The camera processor offers 50 percent more pixels, 50 percent more focus pixels, the ability to make "live photos" with short amounts of motion take automatically when users take normal photos, which will work across all of Apple's products, including the Apple Watch.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus also feature second-generation Touch ID that is said to be twice as fast as the current Touch ID, and the A9 processor powering the devices is said to be 70 percent faster at CPU tasks, and 90 percent faster at graphics tasks. The new iPhones also support LTE-Advanced, making them the most world-friendly smartphones yet. Apple has also improved the Wi-Fi responsiveness to be up to twice as fast.

Unusually compared to the iPhone 6 line, the 6s Plus does not appear to offer any major features that distinguish it from the 6s, though it likely retains the optical stabilization that was a feature of the 6 Plus not duplicated on the 6. It's unclear if the 6s has gained optical stabilization. The camera is now capable of panoramas up to 63MP resolution, and now shoots 4K video with eight million pixels in each frame. The live photos feature will also be supported by Facebook early next year.

The new iPhones come with some new accessories as well. New charging docks in matching colors will be available, as well new leather and silicon covers. As previously rumored, the new iPhones are strengthened with 7000 series aluminum. Pricing on the units will remain the same for the same capacities, with the iPhone 5s becoming the new low-end iPhone (doing away with the 5c as predicted), and the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus still available at lower price points.

In addition, Apple introduced an intriguing new option: while talking about how users are signing up for "installment plans" where users bear the full cost of the iPhone in monthly payments in addition to their plans, thus avoiding the two-year commitment that prevents early upgrading, Apple introduced an installment plan of its own. The new Apple Upgrade Program allows users to buy a new unlocked iPhone that includes AppleCare+ with the carrier of their choice for a cost of $32 per month (does not include a cellular plan), and allows users to swap the device out every year for a new model.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will launch in a dozen countries with pre-orders starting on September 12, and hitting retail on September 25. The iOS 9 operating system upgrade will go live on September 16.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 9, 2015 at 07:29 PM. )

MarkTime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2015, 04:45 PM

Oddly enough I have no particular interest in the iPhone 6s Plus - I'm happy with my iPhone 6 Plus.

If someone hasn't upgraded yet, they are in for a treat. But I see no reason to upgrade, I actively dislike forced touch - I will give it a second glance eventually, but I hated it on the Watch. I know, they say its gotten better, I hope, because that was terrible. I do think the A9 processor improvement and stronger case are cool and everything, but I'll pass on upgrading this year.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2015, 05:38 PM

iPhone 6s.... kind of expected. I wait for iPhone 8.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Sep 9, 2015, 05:53 PM

Meh on the 6S... but I'm rocking a 4S so it's time for an upgrade.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2015, 12:05 AM

Just finished watching the Apple Event video. I have to say that the "3D Touch" and "Live Photo" are very, very, very COOL!

3D Touch = touch version of contextual menu (and more)

Live Photo = brief motion embedded in still image (on any still images)

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2015, 12:11 AM

coffeetime, I agree with you -- 3D touch, when they first announced it, was kinda "meh" -- but then the demo sent me over the edge. Just when I thought Multi-Touch couldn't get any better, they go and -- just like you said -- introduce an intuitive, easy-to-use, touch-based method of contextual menus.

Live Photos seems gimmicky, but in the end, awesome. It's not something that you can't live without, but something that changes the way you expect photos to act from this point forward.

I think it might be time to trade in the trusty, ol' iPhone 5S.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2015, 12:30 AM

Interesting view point on Live Photos, Diablo. I can see that Canon, Nikon, and other stand-alone cameras will incorporate that feature down the road.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 10, 2015, 08:35 AM

Why would they name it iPhone 6s and 6s plus? After a while I feel like I'm saying six sex and suck sex plus etc. etc. They could have chosen iPhone 7.

Forum Links
Forum Rules