Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB 2.0 on a Powerbook

USB 2.0 on a Powerbook
coolmac
Dec 23, 2002, 07:29 PM

Are the USB ports on the new Powerbooks 2.0?
If their not, what can be used to add USB 2.0 capability to a Powerbook?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 07:42 PM

The ports are USB 1.1, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do to upgrade them either.

Mind you, that's not such a big deal from what I've heard. Most any device that could use USB 2.0 has a Firewire equivalent, and they're both roughly the same speed (in fact, Firewire may actually be faster in practice). The only catch is that if you want to hook up more than one high-speed device at the same time, you're stuck.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2002, 09:10 PM

I'm sure there will be Mac compatible USB 2 PC cards at some point, but it is true that at the moment there isn't much advantage to USB 2. That might change in the future if companies start putting only USB2 on their devices instead of firewire or USB2/firewire combo.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 09:19 PM

there are usb 2.0 pc cards out that work with osx but from what i have seen they need to be plugged in to an electrical outlet in order to power the ports. That kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop. Things may have changes since the last time i looked.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 05:37 AM

I think USB 2.0 is very useful for external CD burners and the like. Since USB is a CPU-controlled interface, it's not as good as FireWire, but it's still a great improvement over the USB 1.1 standard.

azark
Dec 24, 2002, 09:47 AM

Orange Micro USB2 Type II Cardbus

USB2 with OS X and USB 1.1 with OS 8.6/9

No external power.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

FlashGordon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 01:13 PM

USB 2.0 is a great improvment over 1.1, but it is not yet very useful on Macs. There is just no point yet as there are no compelling products that take advantage of USB 2.0 only. Firewire HDs and burners are superior to USB 2.0 and they are about the same price. FOR NOW usb 2.0 is not much use to the average Mac user.

However, I am sure you have a particular purpose in mind. In which case the above PC card is a perfect solution for you.

Now if they would only make a 5.1 surround PC card, then I would be very pleased....

Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 01:32 PM

Can USB 2.0 deliver power a la Firewire?

Forum Links
Forum Rules