Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SuperDrive Update for G4 PowerBooks

SuperDrive Update for G4 PowerBooks
macndave
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 10:30 PM

I was just bouncing around various Mac PowerBook sites, when I landed on MCE's website which has a graphic identifying a $449 SuperDrive upgrade for "all G4 PowerBooks"

If they manage to do this while protecting AppleCare on my 800mzh DVI and ensuring that iDVD 3 will work, I think I will do the upgrade. Heck, if they can get iDVD 3 to work, I just may do the upgrade anyway.

I am not associated with MCE, but I have purchased upgrades (Hard Drives) for past PowerBooks from them.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 11:09 PM

I would assume iDVD 3 would work. The only problem is using it via Firewire.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 04:46 AM

I'm with you macndave. I really want a superdrive for my Ti800 but I don't want to get an external because it won't work with iDVD 3. I was hoping Apple would have an upgrade program like they did with the combo drives but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 08:56 AM

You'd think if Apple are going to charge $50 for iDVD 3.0 (all the other applications in iLife are downloadable for free - it would be cheaper to go to an internet cafe, download them, and burn them to cd then buy iLife from Apple) they would at least make it work with external DVD Burners. At least the Pioneer A03/4/5/103/4/5 based ones (come on! it's the same drive as Apple uses anyway).

So Apple aren't getting my $50 until they do get iDVD to work with external burners - because otherwise it looks like a waste of money.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2003, 09:15 AM

Not to hijack this thread but..... How long would a 1x DVD-R take to write a complete DVD? Does it depend on the type of data you're writing? (DVD video vs. normal data).

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2003, 11:36 AM

Burning DVDs on my Powerbook (1ghz/SD) takes around an hour. Its not terribly fast, but it a great feature just to have!

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 05:30 PM

I e-mailed mce but they haven't responsed, maybe somebody here can answer:

1) Is the superdrive being installed a slot loading one?
2) Will it work with iDVD 3 and or DVD Studio Pro 1.5?
3) The service is available in the UK?
Luke

Wisner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2003, 06:17 AM

I would be delighted to have a SuperDrive in my Rev. A TiBook, but there's no chance in hell I'll be buying it from MCE.

Why?

Because they positively insist on installing the drive themselves. They simply will not ship the bare drive.

I'm more than capable of performing the installation myself, and I am not willing to ship my laptop across the Atlantic and be without it for a week. Just not going to happen.

So I'll be on the lookout for another source for the drive, and MCE will lose a customer.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by sandsl:
I e-mailed mce but they haven't responsed, maybe somebody here can answer:

In response to your first question, the drive they install would have of the slot-loading variety to fit in a PowerBook G4. In a simpler term, yes.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2003, 06:27 AM

1) yes
2) yes
3) dunno

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 12, 2003, 12:28 PM

Question 3 is the most important to me anyone had any experience of mce in the UK?
Luke

Wisner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2003, 11:13 AM

They will not sell you a combo drive unless you ship them your laptop so they can install it themselves. It's entirely likely they will have the same policy for the superdrive.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Wisner:
They will not sell you a combo drive unless you ship them your laptop so they can install it themselves. It's entirely likely they will have the same policy for the superdrive.
This is what I've been waiting for. Actually I got the 1ghz combo model because I couldn't wait another month or so for the SD model, but now i find the need for a dvd burner. Although it is a little pricey (same price as current higer speed firewires) but it does support iDVD. I am also not going to ship my Pb anywhere. I am not even considering on shipping it to Apple for any repairs when I do get problems, what more to a 3rd party. Please keep us posted of other sources that may pop up. Im pretty sure alot of other 3rd parties will be offering this and with better deals. Thanks for the catch!

macndave  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Wisner:
I read on the MCE site that under the combo drive update program, you could take your Powerbook to an "MCE Authorized Installer" who might be able to install the combo drive while you wait, though there is an installation fee. There is a an "MCE" authorized installer here in Northern Virginia. If they can install the SuperDrive while I wait, I will definitely buy the upgrade.

You can check out their listing of US and international resellers and authorized upgrade centers here.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 04:01 AM

From MCE: The service will be available in the UK in the same time frame. It is
expected to work with IDVD 3, we will be sure once we start shipping. We
expect it to work as it currently works with iDVD 2. The only way to
install the drive is by replacing the existing slot loading drive with the
same slot loading type mechanism. Please refer to our website for a UK
installation site nearest you for installation. I would order it soon as
the demand is already great.
and

From MCE:
Pricing has not been sent to the dealers yet as it it still being finalized.
We will get this information out later this week. We expect there to be
great demand as we have have hundreds of inquiries since the announcement.
Shaye and other dealers should be able to accept and order by Wednesday.
Luke

Forum Links
Forum Rules