Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Single 1GHz

Single 1GHz
baikinman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 04:06 PM

I am wondering if the single G4 1GHz is a good buy. I plan to use it mainly for video editing (Final Cut Pro). I noticed that Dual 867MHz close-out is about the same price. Some real world tests (e.g., Macspeedzone) say PB 1GHz with 1MB L3 sometimes tops Dual 867MHz--it often loses because of the PB's slow drive performance. Any advice?
Baibaikin!

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 05:00 PM

Dual 867's are much better deals. Hell, Dual 800's on eBay are going pretty cheaply these days. Dual processors is the way to go, espically if your doing FCP.
Am I still here?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 05:01 PM

Hmm...well video editing is a pretty CPU-intensive task, and the advantage of having duals is pretty substantial...in all honesty, with Apple's change in line-up, I'd go to eBay and try to find a Dual 1Ghz machine in your price range. It would be well worth your effort, and even if you had to end up paying slightly more than the $1,499 single 1Ghz machine, your productivity would be greatly improved and the money would be very well spent. Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 28, 2003, 05:20 PM

Never ever buy a single processor Mac if your going to be in OSX fulltime and why wouldnt you be now?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 05:38 PM

Never ever buy a single processor Mac if your going to be in OSX fulltime
I disagree.

While the coolness of SMP cannot be understated, MacOS X should run just fine on the 1Ghz machine, just as it does on my friend's 700Mhz eMac that has a lesser video card, slower system bus, and NO L3 cache. The 1Ghz unit is also the only option for those of us (like me) who have no need a dualie and want to pick their own monitor.

As a side note, MacCentral has a quote from a Apple employee stating that all of the new Powermacs should be quieter than the previous versions, which is good news for everyone.
Agent69

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 08:43 PM

I disagree.

While the coolness of SMP cannot be understated, MacOS X should run just fine on the 1Ghz machine, just as it does on my friend's 700Mhz eMac that has a lesser video card, slower system bus, and NO L3 cache. The 1Ghz unit is also the only option for those of us (like me) who have no need a dualie and want to pick their own monitor.

As a side note, MacCentral has a quote from a Apple employee stating that all of the new Powermacs should be quieter than the previous versions, which is good news for everyone.
Have you or your friend ever tried using FCP on a single processor, then tried on a dual processor? I'm not trying to flame, but I use FCP all day at work, and at home I use my powerbook and the difference is NIGHT & DAY. Real time effects happen really in real time, mixing down audio happens instantly, there's no lag when I"m trying to color correct something very precisely...overall, nothing beats a dual processor powermac when it comes to video editing. Sorry.

Also, what does choosing your own monitor have to do with anything? The Macs come with ADC, and DVI (along with a DVI to VGA Adapter) so I don't see the revelence.
Am I still here?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by JayTi:
Also, what does choosing your own monitor have to do with anything? The Macs come with ADC, and DVI (along with a DVI to VGA Adapter) so I don't see the revelence.
It sounds like he just wants an inexpensive single-chip G4 machine, and doesn't want to buy a machine with a built in monitor. ie. eMac, iMac, or PowerBook. Only the PB has DVI.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 09:28 PM

Have you or your friend ever tried using FCP on a single processor, then tried on a dual processor? I'm not trying to flame, but I use FCP all day at work, and at home I use my powerbook and the difference is NIGHT & DAY.
That might be true but I was responding to the comment that suggesting you need SMP if you are running MacOS X fulltime. You're talking about an application that not everyone uses. Of course, if you're running FCP all day and night then you probably shouldn't be buying an entry level Powermac anyway.

I was pointing out the fact that this is the only single CPU system from Apple (except the Xserve) that doesn't force an integrated monitor on you. Although I don't mind integrated monitors, it is relevant for some people.
Agent69

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 12:51 PM

The single processor 1 GHZ is a huge disappointment. I agree that the dual 867 MHZ was a much better deal, even if it cost $200 more. I would recommend finding the dual 867 and purchasing that somewhere, if possible.

Other then that, the two other models are a much better deal then the previous models. In fact, I could get the dual 1.43 GHZ model with the 17 inch LCD for $100 less then the dual 1 GHZ model I purchased with the same display in July of 2002. That's a pretty big leap in MHZ in 6 months. Also, it comes with a larger hard drive then mine did and double the RAM.

There is no doubt that Apple needs to clock their machines higher, but not a bad release considering the price decrease.

Forum Links
Forum Rules