Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > End of the line for the G4?

End of the line for the G4?
coolmac
Feb 12, 2003, 03:51 PM

Is the dual 1.42gig Powermac really the end of the line for the G4?
I'm assuming if it is the next upgrade, G5 or whatever it will be called will have a new case to diferentiate it from the G4.

Then again any new case will have to match the current display lineup so the diference probably wouldn't be that drastic.

I guess what I'm asking is, would you go for the dual 1.42gig now, or do you think the next Powermac upgrade will be a dramatic improvement over the dual 1.42gig, not the incremental upgrades there have been recently?

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 04:23 PM

I am presuming that it will be sometime next year before any chips start showing up in Apple computers. New meaning anything like IBM's 970 or whatever Motorola might make that it has not made to date. The G5 most likely in my opinion will never show up. It's been what 3 years since that was first talked about and we are still waiting.

One thing to think about is the following. Any new (really new) chip will like cost more to start with, so prices you see now are not likely what you will pay later. Also it's kind of wishful thinking that everything one wants in a computer will ever materialize when the new models come out.

So I would say this, if you like what you see now then get one now or wait until something comes along you do like and try that one. I have Duals in the 1 ghz, 867, and 800 mhz. models. They are plenty fast enough for me. However, sure I can always admit I want more speed at a price I am willing to pay!!!!!!!

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2003, 04:48 PM

The PPC970 WILL be the G5. I would bet that it will be released at the end of the summer. The new G4's that are above 1ghz are being overclocked. There is not much more life in the G4, and Apple will need to release something that is a bit faster if they want to even try to compete with the industry.

I don't think apple will wait until 2004 to release the G5 because that would put them too far behind Intel/AMD chips. The current 3ghz intel chips toast apple machines, and apple cannot afford to wait any longer or the next generation of Intel chips will make apple's machines look like overpriced toys. I fully expect something big from apple at the end of the summer.

If nothing new arrives, then I would expect something bigger to arrive in 2004, like intel chips in apple machines. That may eplain why Intel CEO was in the front row at Macworld last month!

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 06:56 PM

Call me crazy, but I'll have to admit I was a little disappointed in my recent jump from the Pismo G3 to the New Dual G4. Sure, scrolls in iPhoto are much faster and applications launch considerably quicker, but I still notice delays in common finder actions like menu drops, etc. I think we are quickly reaching a point of diminishing returns within current architecture and we'll have to wait for true revolutionary changes to once again get the thrills reminiscent of the first PPC's.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 07:03 PM

I suspect that while the 970 will be popular, there will be problems with demand. So Apple will probably have the 970 as the high end machine and a bunch of G4s as "low end." I also expect at least one more speed bump on the G4, although it probably won't be around until next year.

If you are interested they've been discussing the Motorola PPC chips in the 970 thread over at Ars.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...470943335&p=44

Forum Links
Forum Rules