Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Second Class Citizens

Second Class Citizens
coolmac
Feb 14, 2003, 02:41 AM

Yes that's what I sometimes feel like as a Mac user.
If you have a PC, want a great video card? You can get the ATI Radeon 9700 right now (actually for months already), want a great sound card? Just go ahead and order the Creative Labs Audigy card.

Now that I got that off my chest I wouldn't trade in my Mac for any Windows machine, but wouldn't it be nice if we got the same respect as the PC world?

Hey come to think of it Rodney Dangerfield should do a Mac commercial!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2003, 02:46 AM

Life bees dat way sumtimes, massa.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:48 AM

Its not just hardware. Quicken is behind in the PC version, Office doesn't have Access (for database stuff, I just have to suffer with VPC)...there are other programs I know. The only ones that are on par are the cross platform ones like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Now that I got that off my chest I wouldn't trade in my Mac for any Windows machine, but wouldn't it be nice if we got the same respect as the PC world?
It's not about respect, it's about business. ATI is not a charity, or a government entitlement. They make video hardware for money, and the Mac market is so small it's a wonder they produce Mac products at all.

Macs should have the best video hardware in the industry, or at least be equal to the PC World - I'll give you that. Apple should look for ways to work with ATI and Nvidia to make that happen.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 06:38 PM

Life's a b*tch, isn't it?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 06:43 PM

I would love to see the newest things the pc world has ready for the mac, but it's not gonna happen (at least not at this point in time) and i have accepted that.. I guess we all have accepted that.

We will be treated as second class citizens as long as macs are below 5% marketshare. Now Apple will survive for a long time maintaining its low marketshare, but IMO Apple can do a lot better if it puts more effort into attracting more customers (ie. marketing).

Yes, yes.. there are the switcher ads and the price reductions. But Apple has to begin pushing ahead with a campaign that truly reflects WHAT the mac can do (capabilities) and HOW it does it (better than windows ). All my friends that have seen and used my g4 733 with my 17" studio display fell in love with it - regardless of how much they hated macs before.
Apple has to heavily advertise Mac OS X, iMovie, iPhoto, integration in a PC-dominated world etc etc.. Apple should do another "shoot-out" (like back in 1998 when the iMac came out), proving how much more efficient you can do things on the mac.

When I grab a computer magazine or check tech news online I never see an Apple ad. Why? Because it's PC related or PC dominated, why should Apple advertise there? If you think about it, that kind of advertising would be a lot more effective. If Windows users SEE and HEAR about the mac and its superiority every day then they will consider at least looking at a mac before their next computer purchase.

When big companies see room for making profit in a growing mac market, that's when we will no longer will be treated as second class citizens.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 16, 2003, 02:28 PM

..good post..

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2003, 04:04 PM

Well, I temporarily retreated to the PC world. Partly due to finances, partly due to Apple's current price/performance ratio in the desktop arena. So, I sold my Dual 867 MDD and built this;

Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.46GHz. (Overclocked it to 1.84GHz/2200+)
256MB's of Kingston DDR 2700 RAM.
80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, ATA-133/7200 RPM.
Antec alluminum case w/ a 350 watt ultra quiet power supply.
48x24x48x CD-RW.
128MB DDR Radeon 9100. (Repackaged Radeon 8500)
MSI motherboard with 6 PCI slots, 8x AGP, a 3GB RAM max, and integrated USB 2.0, LAN, and Bluetooth.
---------------------------------------
Total cost was about $490.
(And FYI, it feels noticeably faster than my Dual 867... :-( )

It's very nice to be able to pick and choose parts, but that ability is overridden by Apple's operating systems and the overal Mac experience... The price to performance ratio is not though.

I will be back to the Mac world. I am still an Apple fanatic, always will be.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Well, I temporarily retreated to the PC world. Partly due to finances, partly due to Apple's current price/performance ratio in the desktop arena. So, I sold my Dual 867 MDD and built this;

Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.46GHz. (Overclocked it to 1.84GHz/2200+)
256MB's of Kingston DDR 2700 RAM.
80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, ATA-133/7200 RPM.
Antec alluminum case w/ a 350 watt ultra quiet power supply.
48x24x48x CD-RW.
128MB DDR Radeon 9100. (Repackaged Radeon 8500)
MSI motherboard with 6 PCI slots, 8x AGP, a 3GB RAM max, and integrated USB 2.0, LAN, and Bluetooth.
---------------------------------------
Total cost was about $490.
(And FYI, it feels noticeably faster than my Dual 867... :-( )

It's very nice to be able to pick and choose parts, but that ability is overridden by Apple's operating systems and the overal Mac experience... The price to performance ratio is not though.

I will be back to the Mac world. I am still an Apple fanatic, always will be.
Please let me know where you bought these parts.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2003, 07:59 PM

I got all of it except the case from NewEgg. The case was from AMatterOfFax.com, it's the Antec SLK3700AMB.

The motherboard is the MSI KT4VL, FYI.

Ryan Heid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Office doesn't have Access (for database stuff, I just have to suffer with VPC)
FileMaker won't work for what you're doing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules