Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Headphones

Headphones
aliscafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 01:52 PM

I would like to buy new headphones to replace the ones that come with the iPod.
Which ones are good?
I thought about the Bose Quiet Confort since I am often on the plane, but it is still expensive.
Any ideas??

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

The Bose Quiet Comforts are amazing. I travel via commercial air a lot and it's incredible how much sound they block out. If you wear them over a pair of foam earplugs you can block out almost all of the jet engine noise and still watch a DVD on your laptop at 50-60% volume, or listen to your iPod at about the same level.

You can get interest-free financing for 12 months if cost is an issue; they bill your credit card $25 each month.

Sounds like I work for them but I've just suffered through so many pairs of sh1tty headphones that I'm happy to have a pair that's so good now.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

nate_02
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 10:06 PM

I mix for live sound and most sound engineers use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. They have incredible sound and they block out most outside noise (although they may not block out jet engine nosie as well as the bose headphones). They also fold up and come with a traveling pouch and have mini jack with a screw-on 1/4" adapter.

Cost is around $99.
-nate

fudo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 10:54 PM

I originally bought a pair of MDR-EX70's about 2 years ago when the original 5GB iPod came out. The EX70's where excellent, now that I have a 3G iPod I wanted a pair of earphones which I could use with the remote control unit so I got a pair of MDR-EX71SLB a couple of weeks ago.

These are the short cable version of the EX70's. I use them on the tube since they seal out background noise really well.

I think I saw a review of the EX70's on ipodlounge originally and a friend also recommended them to me. I believe there are even colour options however in the UK I have only seen the black and silver version.

I believe they cost around $50 in the US.

fudo

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
I mix for live sound and most sound engineers use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. They have incredible sound and they block out most outside noise (although they may not block out jet engine nosie as well as the bose headphones). They also fold up and come with a traveling pouch and have mini jack with a screw-on 1/4" adapter.

Cost is around $99.
i second the 7506's. i needed a good set of headphones for mixing and recording, and these work great, especially if you need a closed-ear headphone to block outside noise. very comfortable and very well made.

tr

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by tr:
i second the 7506's. i needed a good set of headphones for mixing and recording, and these work great, especially if you need a closed-ear headphone to block outside noise. very comfortable and very well made.

tr
Since your listen to an ipod and want to noise cancellation, look for some inner ear or over the ear with passive or active noise cancellation. The 7506s are not going to block jet engines. Hell, I can hear my wife yelling from the other room sometimes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules