Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 2)
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::

I think this will be the game that makes me upgrade my Mac to a big fat G5. I want to be able to run this game at maxed out settings. It's too beautiful not to!
Thats how I feel, i *could* get by with what I have but...

-owl

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 10:59 PM

I think this will be the game that makes me upgrade my Mac to a big fat G5. I want to be able to run this game at maxed out settings. It's too beautiful not to!
Yeh WoW is another reason to drool over the G5s. Especially since I like to play at 1680x1050.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 01:16 PM

Have any of you second-phasers heard anything about when your phase is supposed to start? I'm itching for them to send out the phase 3 e-mails.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Have any of you second-phasers heard anything about when your phase is supposed to start? I'm itching for them to send out the phase 3 e-mails.
Blizzard hasn't stated officially yet when the next phase will begin. But the buzz from the players is that it's coming pretty soon. As soon as I hear anything, I'll post about it here.

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 01:20 AM

u lucky people...i cant even enter the beta application coz i am in Japan!!! talk about torture.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:47 PM

Well, the next push has begun, but they haven't opened it up to more testers yet. I believe it will be any time now.

On a side note, any badass WC3 players out there have a chance to compete for a beta testing spot for WoW. Check it out here.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 07:19 PM

I received my phase 2 email with key last night. I've completed the download and will be playing once I get home from work!
MacBook Pro

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
I received my phase 2 email with key last night. I've completed the download and will be playing once I get home from work!
Excellent! We can always use more Mac users.

Look for me when you get going. Right now I'm playing as a Human Warrior, named 'Fluke'.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 10:58 AM

Excellent! We can always use more Mac users.

Look for me when you get going. Right now I'm playing as a Human Warrior, named 'Fluke'.
Will do! Main character right now is a level 8 Night Elf Druid named 'Kika'.

So far I'm just going through all the newb quests and saving my skills points & money for when I start moving into the larger areas.

Overall the game is fun but there are some playability issues that I've noticed and have used /suggest to offer my opinions. Maybe I'm just jaded from being completely addicted to FFXI
MacBook Pro

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 02:34 PM

Will do! Main character right now is a level 8 Night Elf Druid named 'Kika'.

So far I'm just going through all the newb quests and saving my skills points & money for when I start moving into the larger areas.

Overall the game is fun but there are some playability issues that I've noticed and have used /suggest to offer my opinions. Maybe I'm just jaded from being completely addicted to FFXI
Cool, I'll add you to my Friends list.

Yeah, there are definitely some things that need to be ironed out. But this latest push has fixed quite a few things. I am pretty sure the memory leak bug in the Mac version has been fixed. I used to have to restart WoW every half hour to an hour because my frame rate would drop to below 10, and I would start losing all sound. It doesn't do that anymore, but I am experiencing more crashes than the last push. Oh well, such is the price of beta testing.

I should be heading over to the Elf lands pretty soon. I am up to level 13, and am doing some quests in Loch Modan at the moment. I'll look you up when I get to your part of the world.

I also have a level 12 Orc Rogue, but I don't think Horde and Alliance can interact at the moment.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 04:03 PM

Cool, I'll add you to my Friends list.

Yeah, there are definitely some things that need to be ironed out. But this latest push has fixed quite a few things. I am pretty sure the memory leak bug in the Mac version has been fixed. I used to have to restart WoW every half hour to an hour because my frame rate would drop to below 10, and I would start losing all sound. It doesn't do that anymore, but I am experiencing more crashes than the last push. Oh well, such is the price of beta testing.

I should be heading over to the Elf lands pretty soon. I am up to level 13, and am doing some quests in Loch Modan at the moment. I'll look you up when I get to your part of the world.

I also have a level 12 Orc Rogue, but I don't think Horde and Alliance can interact at the moment.
Excellent! Some Mac beta friends would be nice. Would make the game more fun to play for me. Since I've been playing FFXI non-stop since PS2 launch, playing with other people is critical to your success in that game and I'm sure at some point in WoW that will be true as well.

As for the issues, I don't mind the techincal issues. I'm confident those will be ironed out. I'm more interested in being able to actually help shape the game world/playability through beta testing.

One example is the "trading" system, which I know Blizzard has stated is temporary. However, it's plain horrible. Having to listen into a chat channel for an item you may want to buy or want to sell is just insane to me. Way too much chatter to read through.

FFXI has an awesome in-game eBay type auction system that is very easy to use and adds to the game experience. Sometimes I log in just to check my auctions and/or add more things to sell! You can visit an Auction House in any major city and buy/sell to your hearts content without having to deal directly with player sellers. Also, since each town has it's own Auction House, some items may sell for more in one town than another. A good reason to make sure you visit each town and get the best price!

With WoW, at this time, you'd have to be playing the game to sell any items and you have to "shout" these items through the chat channels. The other major bummer here is you actually have to "meet" the buyer in-game in order to trade the items/money. This of course means the seller could be a nice long walk from where you currently are... Ugh.

Everything is not bad in WoW though. The quest system is very well done. I love actually gaining experience from the quests as well as items/money. FFXI only gives money/items and "fame" which is really just a hidden total of how many quests you've done before more open up. The lack of getting experience from quests in FFXI make them rather boring. Most people just cheat anyway in order to get higher fame by completing the same repeatable type quests over and over.
MacBook Pro

-Q-
Apr 26, 2004, 05:20 PM

Excellent! Some Mac beta friends would be nice. Would make the game more fun to play for me.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why don't you just rub it in? Or maybe poke me in the eye with a sharp stick? It'd be less painful than sitting here reading how much you and maroma love this game.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why don't you just rub it in? Or maybe poke me in the eye with a sharp stick? It'd be less painful than sitting here reading how much you and maroma love this game.
Tell me about it...

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2004, 06:28 PM

Excellent! Some Mac beta friends would be nice. Would make the game more fun to play for me. Since I've been playing FFXI non-stop since PS2 launch, playing with other people is critical to your success in that game and I'm sure at some point in WoW that will be true as well.

As for the issues, I don't mind the techincal issues. I'm confident those will be ironed out. I'm more interested in being able to actually help shape the game world/playability through beta testing.

One example is the "trading" system, which I know Blizzard has stated is temporary. However, it's plain horrible. Having to listen into a chat channel for an item you may want to buy or want to sell is just insane to me. Way too much chatter to read through.

FFXI has an awesome in-game eBay type auction system that is very easy to use and adds to the game experience. Sometimes I log in just to check my auctions and/or add more things to sell! You can visit an Auction House in any major city and buy/sell to your hearts content without having to deal directly with player sellers. Also, since each town has it's own Auction House, some items may sell for more in one town than another. A good reason to make sure you visit each town and get the best price!

With WoW, at this time, you'd have to be playing the game to sell any items and you have to "shout" these items through the chat channels. The other major bummer here is you actually have to "meet" the buyer in-game in order to trade the items/money. This of course means the seller could be a nice long walk from where you currently are... Ugh.

Everything is not bad in WoW though. The quest system is very well done. I love actually gaining experience from the quests as well as items/money. FFXI only gives money/items and "fame" which is really just a hidden total of how many quests you've done before more open up. The lack of getting experience from quests in FFXI make them rather boring. Most people just cheat anyway in order to get higher fame by completing the same repeatable type quests over and over.
I agree that the trading/auctioning in WoW could use an overhaul. But to it's defense, I like the realism it has. Like having to actually meet the seller in order to trade, it's more like "real life". But yes, it gets very very tedious and boring sitting in a town and waiting for an item to come up you are interested in. I think its because of this tedium that I've stayed away from buying/selling items. And I usually keep the trade channel off unless I intend on using it. I just sell items to venders (very cheaply) and occasionally buy an item from a player. Be sure to /suggest all your ideas to Blizzard.

I love the quest system. Especially since they've tweaked the exp and skill points from the last push. It makes questing that much more relevant and fun to do.

This is my first MMORPG, so I have nothing to compare WoW to. I think that's a good thing, since there will surely be plenty of MMORPG virgins who buy WoW.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 12:31 PM

Hey rob!

Simple question I saw asked on the blizzard.com/wow/ boards...

Will the Collectors Edition be Hybrid? I would assume so, though I just wanna make sure

-Owl

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 05:59 PM

Be sure to /suggest all your ideas to Blizzard.
Oh yes, /suggest & /bug are my best friends. To be quite honest, I don't really "play" the game much as I do compare it to other MMO's I've played. I'm currently playing WoW from a pure tester standpoint and not really getting into the storyline/background like other MMO's.

Maybe this is why I don't feel so attached to WoW right now (I don't crave to play), I'm still playing FFXI far more than WoW. Heck, my Druid is still lvl 8 although I started a Warlock that is now lvl 6.
MacBook Pro

JB72
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 03:45 PM

W00t! I'm in. Downloading now.

redJag
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
W00t! I'm in. Downloading now.
yay me too
Travis Sanderson

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 11:18 PM

dang, must not have made it this "round"

-Owl

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
dang, must not have made it this "round"
Me too

Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
yay me too
Cool! More Mac users! Us Mac users should form a guild or something. We gotsta stick together.

-Q-
May 6, 2004, 02:48 PM

Count me into that guild! The download is finally done and I"ll be playing tonight!

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 04:08 PM

Me too. I have to give Blizzard a collective pat on the back for busting out an OSX client. All you mac beta testers put me on your buddy list as 'Evilyn' & 'BoomZilla'

I found out the hard way that you can walk right off of the tree/island in Teledrassil. Quite a long way down to the sea!

Ok have to relate a story of my gullibility:

I'm on a mission to kill 6 tree monster type thingies to get a certain treasure item. I am just barely beating them due to my priest's levels/ability, or lack of. A rogue comes up and is like, 'hey! we should group so we can divvy the treasure up!'. I am all over this, as its easier to kill as a team than solo. Also, I have only one left for my quota so I am like, "hey I only have one more but I'll stay with you until you get all of yours". It is all good. We are busting some tree monster type thingies to the curb. Then I am like "hey, all I need is one more and I'll stay with you till you get yours". "sure, i've got mine" he says, and then I see him sit down and fade away (logged off the game). I was promptly turned into tree food.

What a punk!

ARK
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 05:52 PM

So what are the system requirements?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ARK:
So what are the system requirements?
As seen at http://www.blizzard.com/wow/faq/faq_beta.shtml

What are the system requirements for the World of Warcraft� beta?
NOTE: World of Warcraft has NOT yet been optimized for many hardware configurations. The system requirements are expected to be lower for the final shipping version of the game, specifically in regards to processor speed and video card memory requirements. The system specifications listed below are for the World of Warcraft� beta only. The World of Warcraft� Beta test has the following requirements:

A 56K or higher modem with an internet connection.

Windows� System/OS:

* 800 Mhz or higher CPU.
* 256 Megabytes or more of RAM.
* Geforce 2 Graphics Card or better.
* 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
* DirectX� 9.0 or above.

Mac� System/OS:

* 1.0 GHz or higher, G4 or G5 processor.
* 512 Megabytes RAM or higher. DDR RAM recommended.
* ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 64 MB VRAM or more.
* 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
* MacOS X 10.3 ("Panther") or better

ARK
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 06:19 PM

Ah, cool thanks for your help. Im guessing that will be the requirements for the retail version too.
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

redJag
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 07:49 PM

FYI, game runs pretty poorly on 733Mhz G4 with a 64MB Radeon 8500, which is to be expected. I am playing it on my PC and will report back once I get my new powerbook
Travis Sanderson

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2004, 09:04 PM

Yeah, I have heard it runs well at minimum requirements on default settings.

-Oowl

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 06:11 AM

Hey all, I got my key a few days ago, and just started an undead warlock. I'll be adding the names of the people from the 2nd page of the thread to my friends list today, so if you happen to get a message from "Lindyan" or "Lelyen" you'll know it's me. I think a mac guild would be awesome!

cs.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Hey all, I got my key a few days ago, and just started an undead warlock. I'll be adding the names of the people from the 2nd page of the thread to my friends list today, so if you happen to get a message from "Lindyan" or "Lelyen" you'll know it's me. I think a mac guild would be awesome!

cs.
Csurfr, add me. My account is "Illidan", and I'm a total newbie Just tried it for about an hour yesterday, and found it a bit less than intuitive, but getting the hang of it. The battle system just seems not satisifying, cause it's so automated! I liked Diablo II's click and hold better hehe. But anyhow, it seems pretty cool. I'm actually going to start a Tauren character, a NE druid was not for me. But add me to your friends list!

Btw, what machine are you running on? I was doing it on a school dual 1.3ghz quicksilver wtih a 64mb Radeon card, but the game start up and window minimize/maximize was pretty slow.. though I suspect part of it had to do with having a CRT monitor. The game itself runs pretty well though.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 08:10 AM

I, too, got my key a few days ago, and started myself a Dwarven Paladin

Game runs great for me. Max settings (FarClip down one notch), 1280x1024, 4xFSAA, 4xAF, produces framerates that never drop below 20 and tend to stick around 35. Loading lag when I first enter the game world is pretty bad, but it clears up after 60 seconds or so.

G5 DP 1.8, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.3.3.

One irritating bit, though, is that the chat box nonsensically flashes white fairy frequently... I've submitted that to Blizzard, of course
Be happy.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Csurfr, add me. My account is "Illidan", and I'm a total newbie Just tried it for about an hour yesterday, and found it a bit less than intuitive, but getting the hang of it. The battle system just seems not satisifying, cause it's so automated! I liked Diablo II's click and hold better hehe. But anyhow, it seems pretty cool. I'm actually going to start a Tauren character, a NE druid was not for me. But add me to your friends list!

Btw, what machine are you running on? I was doing it on a school dual 1.3ghz quicksilver wtih a 64mb Radeon card, but the game start up and window minimize/maximize was pretty slow.. though I suspect part of it had to do with having a CRT monitor. The game itself runs pretty well though.
Howdy, i'm running WoW on a 1.25mdd with the 64mb radeon 9000. I've only got 512mb ram right now, but with the details i would say medium @ 1280x1024 I don't have any slowdown at all. I'll add you today (as soon as the world server comes back up).

cs.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 10:13 AM

I've got the white chat box but as well. And /bugged it as well.

What did you do to show the fps? /stat fps?

Originally posted by mac freak:
I, too, got my key a few days ago, and started myself a Dwarven Paladin

Game runs great for me. Max settings (FarClip down one notch), 1280x1024, 4xFSAA, 4xAF, produces framerates that never drop below 20 and tend to stick around 35. Loading lag when I first enter the game world is pretty bad, but it clears up after 60 seconds or so.

G5 DP 1.8, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.3.3.

One irritating bit, though, is that the chat box nonsensically flashes white fairy frequently... I've submitted that to Blizzard, of course

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 01:55 PM

ctrl-r while in game will display your current framerate.

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 04:56 PM

To get rid of the chat box flashing white, you just need to show FPS (Control-R, as someone else stated). This is a new bug in this latest push (Mac only), and has been reported many times to Blizz.

Also, one thing to note is if we all want to get a guild going, we all need to be either Alliance or Horde. Right now I am Alliance (lvl 28 Warrior), and will be Alliance throughout most of the Beta, if not all. Horde and Alliance players cannot speak to one another, and cannot form guilds together. It's pretty cool when you happen to run into someone from the other side.. when they try to say something to you, it comes out as gibberish since you don't speak their language. I'm almost positive that in the release (or future versions of beta) you will be able to learn other languages.

If we want to get a guild going, we'll need some cash. I forget exactly how much it is to start a guild, but just to get your own guild tabard is 1 gold (which is a lot). So save that cash! Any ideas on a name for the guild? If we all decide on something here, I can get the guild started and invite whoever wants in. I have some cash saved, and could pay for the initial opening of the guild.

So post here ideas for a guild name and decide on a character you'd like in the guild (Alliance).

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 05:02 PM

To get rid of the chat box flashing white, you just need to show FPS (Control-R, as someone else stated). This is a new bug in this latest push (Mac only), and has been reported many times to Blizz.

Also, one thing to note is if we all want to get a guild going, we all need to be either Alliance or Horde. Right now I am Alliance (lvl 28 Warrior), and will be Alliance throughout most of the Beta, if not all. Horde and Alliance players cannot speak to one another, and cannot form guilds together. It's pretty cool when you happen to run into someone from the other side.. when they try to say something to you, it comes out as gibberish since you don't speak their language. I'm almost positive that in the release (or future versions of beta) you will be able to learn other languages.

If we want to get a guild going, we'll need some cash. I forget exactly how much it is to start a guild, but just to get your own guild tabard is 1 gold (which is a lot). So save that cash! Any ideas on a name for the guild? If we all decide on something here, I can get the guild started and invite whoever wants in. I have some cash saved, and could pay for the initial opening of the guild.

So post here ideas for a guild name and decide on a character you'd like in the guild (Alliance).

I'd be all up for joining a Mac-only clan.

As for a name, we could go simple with Clan Apple [APL] or [AAPL]. That's just off the top of my head. I'll try to think of something more clever.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 05:09 PM

Yummy! Count me in on the guild. I think my Warlock would be the best choice for guild play, so Keoke is her name.

I've also started a Duff PLD but I'll keep that one for solo play unless you want to add him too Guff

doh! Forgot to mention, /congrats to all you new Mac testers! I noticed the server had 1900+ users on a few nights back, starting to get up there.
MacBook Pro

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 05:15 PM

What about using an Apple product code name? Guild Bondi? El Capitans? Kangas?

OOh! The Pippins.

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 08:11 PM

Cool.. I like the names so far. Unfortunately, I have a damned press check tonight, which is supposed to last all night long. So I probably won't be able to get the guild going tonight. I'll get it going ASAP though. Keep those names coming. Maybe we can have a vote.

P.S. - I hate work.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 09:43 PM

Ohhhh! I want in so bad!

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 04:03 PM

I also like "Think Different" for a guild name.

For those of you out there who want to party, I'm a human paladin lvl 9ish.
Name = Thalduin

Stick me on your friend list!

-Q-
May 9, 2004, 11:48 PM

Count me in on the guild when it gets going (and if anyone wants to do some killing in the meantime, drop me a line). The character is GaretJax, a lvl9 warrior.

Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 12:00 PM

OK, so I kinda figured out how starting a guild works now. First we need at least 10 people to be in the guild. Then we need to decide on a name. I'll buy a Guild Charter, and then get at least 10 to "sign" it. Then I turn it in and start the guild, then get to pick the icon that will be on our Tabards.

So first step is getting at least 10 characters to join. I don't know if multiple characters from the same person count. I guess we could find out.

After I get off work today, I will go through this thread and pull out names of those who said they were interested. I'll list them here, and then we'll go from there.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 09:52 PM

WOOOO - HA!

I am in!

Off to download!

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 12:25 AM

Damn, -Q-, you signed off too fast! I was just on my way down your way to complete a quest and then help you kill the pig when you vanished. Next time say bye before dying and running!

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 01:05 AM

I wish i'm in Beta but for sure i would like to join any Mac guild when the game is on sale. I know this is lack of originality but here are two names for mac guildes...

1. Light of Mac'Alliance
2. Shadow of Mac'Hordes

Cheesy but it sounds ok...hehe... think bout it.

Cipher13
May 11, 2004, 03:44 AM

Count me in on the guild - got my e-mail this morning.

Will post username/character when I sort out these BT issues

-Q-
May 11, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Damn, -Q-, you signed off too fast! I was just on my way down your way to complete a quest and then help you kill the pig when you vanished. Next time say bye before dying and running!
My apologies. But I'll definitely die more slowly next time. Stupid pig.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:01 AM

OK

THIS IS THE COOLEST GAME EVER, IT SUPPORTS COPY PASTE

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
OK

THIS IS THE COOLEST GAME EVER, IT SUPPORTS COPY PASTE

-Owl
You wanna know what's even cooler about the UI? It's pretty much all customizable. You can script new toolbars, windows, and pretty much anything you already see in the interface.

After I play a little longer and get a better feel for the game, I think I'm going to try my hand at a UI mod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules