Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems with the new 15'' ?

Problems with the new 15'' ?
aliscafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 09:19 PM

I have read on the forum of SpyMac that many people got trouble with their light sensor and their motherboard on the new 15''. Does anybody have troubles of this sort in here so far?

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 10:28 PM

i opened my 15" 1.5 powerbook today
i'm using it in low light conditions right now, and there are absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.

the screen is perfect, the backlit keyboard is solid and i couldn't be happier!!!

MrCaN
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 01:40 AM

I have no problem with the dimming screen and lightup keyboard, which i am using now, but the problem is I'll put it to sleep, then tommorow when I wake it up in the light, the screen stays dim and hard to read.
Mr. CaN

spamsk8r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 01:52 AM

The only problem I've been having is the hinge is really creaky and stiff. I know I could get some lube, but it doesn't really bother me and its such a minor detail that its easily overlooked. Other than that it's been perfect.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 01:55 AM

I've had no problems with the keyboard, which is illuminated right now as I type this.

bighead
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by spamsk8r:
The only problem I've been having is the hinge is really creaky and stiff. I know I could get some lube, but it doesn't really bother me and its such a minor detail that its easily overlooked. Other than that it's been perfect.
You do know that you could have the hinges replaced under warranty if they make even the slightest bit of noise/creaking, right? I mean, jeez, people talk about doing all of these things to their unit when at the same time NOBODY mentions that Apple will repair creaking hinges under warranty and AppleCare.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 11:07 AM

Well that sounds all well & good but I've read reports from some of those who sent there 15" Powerbooks in for the white spot repair only to get their Powerbook back with other problems like scratches, dings and other problems.
Who wants to send their brand new $2500 Powerbook in for repair unless it's absolutely necessary?

bighead
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
Well that sounds all well & good but I've read reports from some of those who sent there 15" Powerbooks in for the white spot repair only to get their Powerbook back with other problems like scratches, dings and other problems.
Who wants to send their brand new $2500 Powerbook in for repair unless it's absolutely necessary?
I've also sent in PowerBooks (all of mine, actually) for service before and none of them have come back from repairs with problems they weren't sent in with. Most of the mail-ins were through Apple Retail Stores. As an Apple desktop AND portable certified technician, I would consider using your own lubrication on the hinge to be toying with the warranty, especially when the issue the lubrication is "fixing" is completely covered under warranty.

On rare occasions, I've seen iBook hinges get so tight that the screen has snapped right off. I've not seen any AlBook hinges do it, but I've seen them get creaky and stiff like the iBooks. It's covered under warranty, and if you take it to an Apple retail store you can even ask them to replace the hinge assembly in-store, since all of the Geniuses are supposed to be certified for the work.

It's like having a head gasket leak in your engine. Sure, it's not leaking MUCH, and you know it's covered under warranty. You don't take it in, because you're not confident in the shop's ability to fix the engine. Your head finally rattles loose and your engine blows because of your not wanting to take it in until it "really needs it." Your computer really needs it.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules