Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Question: Dual Streaming and Source Playback

Airport Express Question: Dual Streaming and Source Playback
macndave
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 12:38 AM

I have one primary question concerning Airport Express (APX) and Airtunes: Can one can listen to music on the source computer and the powered speakers at the same time.

My stereo is on the back-end first floor (as is my original graphite Airport Basestation and cable modem). My PowerBook and USB Printer are in a front-end second floor office. The PowerBook is connected to USB Soundsticks. I had planned to purchase two APXs, one to replace the graphite Airport (which would go to a friend's house). This one would be connected to the cable modem. The other APX would go into the office (to extend the network and to connect to the printer for wireless printing).

I would like to listen to music on my PowerBook as connected to the Soundsticks, while my roommate listens to streamed music downstairs via the APX connected to the stereo. This would also give me a seamless music experience as I moved from one floor to another (for breaks, drinks, snacks, etc.)

Is it possible to simultaneously listen to music on the Powerbook upstairs, while streaming music to the downstairs?

My questions about networking the two devices have been answered from other topical posts.

Thanks.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 08:52 PM

As far as I know. No.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:24 PM

Even more specific: No.

Sorry.

The choice of speakers is a simple drop-down box. No multiple selections allowed. One computer may either play to its own internal speakers OR stream to one Airport Extreme at any one time.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:39 PM

As others have said, no, but if you have two computers, one computer can stream to your stereo while also sharing music with another.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 11:33 PM

Why this limitation???? CPU system use related maybe? Why couldn't a software patch allow for both mac audio out and AE audio?

Seems a natural.....?

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 06:49 PM

No replies...I thought someone could venture an educated guess.

I used to drive 2 receivers with my Power Mac 7600. It had 1/8" mini stereo out and two stereo phono (RCA) plugs audio out. So I was able to drive 8 speakers (4 from each receiver) AT THE SAME TIME from my mac audio out, not JUST iTunes audio which was nice.

I was hoping the AE would give me the same abilities as my 7600 (ie. drive 2 receivers at the same time. The AE receiver and another via mac line out. Oh well, I'll still buy it cause it's audio capability is cool, and I have a PB 15" with an extreme card and I don't own a wireless router, so I'm sold still, despite the shortcomings of Airport Express with AirTunes.

BTW, sorry I started that Quad G5 rumor because of my MacNN name. I just want one, that's all. ;-)

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 08:56 AM

I imagine it's because of the delay involved in recompressing and streaming the audio. They could compensate for this in software, but that's another step which they may or may not take.

gomariners
Jul 20, 2004, 01:46 PM

I have no idea if this will work, but you might try this:

I know that if I have two user accounts open simultaneously, both itunes can be playing simultaneously, but of course I never do this because it sounds lousy to have two songs playing simultaneously (skilled DJs notwithstanding). Anyway, why not create a user account and stream from that one, and listen on your computer from your own account. This won't be sync'ed, but you may as well try..

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 01:56 PM

Panther doesn't allow two instances of iTunes to be open in two different accounts.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

gomariners
Jul 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by jld:
Panther doesn't allow two instances of iTunes to be open in two different accounts.
I'm a computing genius then, because I'm running panther and I have two different instances of itunes running in two different accounts and Liz Phair sounds bad over Van Morrisson.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by jld:
That's incorrect. I don't know which version of iTunes brought us this functionality, but iTunes can stay open and playing to my Airport Express while I open and play iTunes in another user.

I have not tried to play them both through the internal speakers but since that other poster says he has done it, I have no reason to think otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules