Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony Ericsson T637, AT&T, and mMode

Sony Ericsson T637, AT&T, and mMode
Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:18 AM

I just got an AT&T wireless plan with an SE T637. I like it, except for the fact that there are two buttons that automatically connect you to the internet. Even if you cancel right away after accidentally pushing one of those buttons, you still send a few bytes worth of data, costing money.

So, I have two questions:

1) Is there any way to completely disable mMode, Instant Messaging, and the internet on this phone? I don't want to be charged over and over for accidentally hitting a button or two.

2) I've heard rumors of a firmware mod that changes the top right button from an mMode button to something else. Is there anyone out there who has tried it out and would recommend it? Plus, how would I go about installing this firmware mod on my phone?

Many thanks.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:24 AM

You can get the phone flashed with a generic firmware.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
You can get the phone flashed with a generic firmware.
I assume I need a special connector to attach my computer to my phone, right? Are there stores that will do this for me for free?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 27, 2004, 01:59 PM

I got that phone in July, and ran into exactly that problem. Here's what I found out:

-it is possible to disable mMode by borking the GPRS and WAP profiles, so that they fail to connect. PITA, though.

-It's only the AT&T firmware that has this mad mMode crap everywhere. Getting the phone flashed with the generic Sony-Ericsson firmware ("de-branding") restores the standard "More" button that belongs there. That button brings up the shortcuts menu, where you can place your commonly-used features. There seem to be plenty of places on the west coast that do this, but I've found no nearby service center to do it. I haven't done it yet because I can't live without a phone for a week.

-You can get the phone unlocked (so that it will work with any carrier) in addition to de-branding.

-Flashing the firmware yourself is possible, but requires a special data cable (the retail one will NOT work), a PC with both USB and parallel ports, Windows, and special software. All of that (not including the Windows PC) can be had online for about $50. Oh yeah, and one false move and your phone becomes a brick. Probably not worth the hassle.

tooki

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
I assume I need a special connector to attach my computer to my phone, right? Are there stores that will do this for me for free?
Lots of stores should be able to do it for you for about $50. You can even mail it to them if you need to.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 12:50 AM

I just got this phone 2 days ago for just $29.99 (what a steal).. I did play with m-Mode on the first day, but it's not what I expected. However, those buttons don't bother me at all. On my Mac side, I bought Salling Clicker, right away.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the pointers, tooki and SWG.

If the >> Online button on the side is bothering anyone, I found something to (somewhat) disable it as I was searching the web, yesterday.

If you change your homepage to "mailto:" from the WAP Profile section, pushing the button will now open up an e-mail composition screen instead of trying to connect to the internet.

mbryda
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 11:37 AM

www.terminatordongle.com has them + instructions (need Windows PC) for $30.

If you do it once, you can sell on eBay and make most of your $30 back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules