Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buying and selling stock online

Buying and selling stock online
Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 12:06 PM

I'm interesting in signing up with an online broker, but I don't do a lot of trading. Basically, I get stock options at work and buy and sell a little Apple when I get the urge.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a broker I should use? The cheaper, the better, especially since I don't do a ton of trading. I probably only make 3-5 transactions a year.

A coworker recommended Ameritrade, but I'd like some more opinions. Does anyone here have any experience with them or with anyone else?

Thanks!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2004, 12:25 PM

If I were going to gamble on stocks, I would prefer to deal with a legitimate broker in person.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2004, 12:26 PM

I also recommend Ameritrade, I think they have the lowest commissions of the major internet brokers. I used to be with E*Trade and while I like their site design, the low frequency of trades that I do isn't worth the 19.99 commissions they charge. E*Trade has more research tools also, but I do all my research on other free sites.

I did hear about one alarming incident, although not first-hand. Someone I know at work apparantly was swindled out of tens of thousands of dollars from his Ameritrade account. From what I gather it was an inside job, not just an account password hack. I really want to talk to the guy in person to find out more about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules