Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV through ADSL

TV through ADSL
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 08:05 AM

Didn't know where to put this so I took a chance in the lounge.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with TV through ADSL. I've been offered(and accepted the offer) it free 'til the end of the summer and since I have no idea about the quality and pros and cons about it I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 08:22 AM

Pros: free till the end of summer
Cons: TV still sucks

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 08:23 AM

Still on the beach or are you back in the cold?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell

Still on the beach or are you back in the cold?
On the beach man!

Working on my tan. 31 degs and sun. Every day. Enjoy the cold!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 08:55 AM

F*CK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are you expected back?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 09:27 AM

Is that VDSL or normal ADSL ? Normal ADSL is a bit too slow. Belgacom (national telco) are upgrading all their lines to VDSL now to be able to offer BelgacomTV, digital interactive TV.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 09:32 AM

I think it's ADSL but their info isn't the best. From what I've gathered it seems like if you watch TV you get the full bandwidth your DSL line can handle and not the bandwidth you've paid for using the internet. And IIRC our ADSL lines handle up to 8Mb/s.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 09:41 AM

I read somewhere that when you use ADSL and you watch TV that you can't be on the internet anymore at the same time. You get dropped frames on TV and slow internet. Even if they tell you that you will get 8mbit, you probably won't. ADSL can indeed handle 8mbits technically but a lot of factors limit this, most important one being the distance between you and the switch (not a problem if you live in urban areas). I don't really know what bandwidth DVB uses exactly. It can't be far from DVD as it is the same resolution and MPEG2 compression. Maybe 5mbit max.

But hey, it's free, so why not try it ?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 09:46 AM

I believe mines through ADSL... I don't like the tv service much but it hasn't affected my internet.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I read somewhere that when you use ADSL and you watch TV that you can't be on the internet anymore at the same time. You get dropped frames on TV and slow internet. Even if they tell you that you will get 8mbit, you probably won't. ADSL can indeed handle 8mbits technically but a lot of factors limit this, most important one being the distance between you and the switch (not a problem if you live in urban areas). I don't really know what bandwidth DVB uses exactly. It can't be far from DVD as it is the same resolution and MPEG2 compression. Maybe 5mbit max.

But hey, it's free, so why not try it ?
The main switch for my neighbourhood is just two houses away so that shouldn't be a problem. But thanks for the info. I'm gonna see how I like this(there are other developments coming this winter that I might switch to)

Thanks again

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
I believe mines through ADSL... I don't like the tv service much but it hasn't affected my internet.
Is the quality worse than on regular(microwave antenna) TV? Or better?

Like you see I know absolutely nothing about this

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:10 AM

Oh it's certainly waaaaay better. DVD quality.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 10:23 AM

I've had it for about a year now through Free Telecom in France. I get a 20MB/s Internet connection, 80 television channels and free national telephone calls via the phone socket all for 30 Euros a month!

In the beginning the quality of the TV picture was a bit dodgy. There was a bit of pixellation and it sometimes froze but it's much better now. It hasn't frozen in months and it's very difficult to tell the difference between cable and the ADSL television. There is a difference though. The quality is not as good as through cable or satellite or the antenna.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Oh it's certainly waaaaay better. DVD quality.
Sounds good! That was one of the things I worried about.

Thanks

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
I've had it for about a year now through Free Telecom in France. I get a 20MB/s Internet connection, 80 television channels and free national telephone calls via the phone socket all for 30 Euros a month!

In the beginning the quality of the TV picture was a bit dodgy. There was a bit of pixellation and it sometimes froze but it's much better now. It hasn't frozen in months and it's very difficult to tell the difference between cable and the ADSL television. There is a difference though. The quality is not as good as through cable or satellite or the antenna.
That's what is coming here this winter(high-speed internet, a hell of a lot of channels etc etc) and that is what I'm thinking about switching to if this isn't good enough. And IIRC that will also bring HDTV with it so it will be interesting to see the price it'll be at.

But while I have this for free I might as well use it don't you think

Forum Links
Forum Rules