Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iran Bars CNN Over Translation of Remarks

Iran Bars CNN Over Translation of Remarks
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 03:14 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4617754.stm

So, what do you think? Did the CNN reporter just make an honest mistake or is it the same old same old?

I have to say this isn't the least surprising to me and something I've been waiting for to happen.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4617754.stm

So, what do you think? Did the CNN reporter just make an honest mistake or is it the same old same old?

I have to say this isn't the least surprising to me and something I've been waiting for to happen.
it was an honest mistake when i wrote 'weapons' instead of 'technology' in a post the other day concerning iran. no body seemed to pick up on it, though... i guess people judge translators by a higher standard.

i understand the need to be very accurate with translations (esp. live translations) but when the issues are so closely-tied it's bound to happen. the important thing is that it was noticed and it is being corrected.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 04:02 PM

Iran Bars CNN Over Translation of Remarks
Iran Bars CNN From Working in Country Over Network's Mistranslation of Words in President's Speech

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad delivers his budget bill to the parliament, in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Jan. 15, 2006. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
By NASSER KARIMI Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran Jan 16, 2006 — Iran said Monday it is barring CNN from working in Iran "until further notice" due to its mistranslation of comments made by the president in a recent news conference about the country's nuclear research.

In a speech Saturday, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad defended Iran's right to continue nuclear research. State media have complained since the speech that CNN used the translation "nuclear weapons" instead of "nuclear technology."

The ban by the Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry was read in a statement on state-run television.

Nuclear Tension
"Due to mistranslation of the words of Ahmadinejad during his press conference, activities of the American CNN in Tehran are banned until further notice," the statement said.

CNN acknowledged the mistake.

"CNN quoted Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as saying that Iran has the right to build nuclear weapons," the network said in its report of the ban. "In fact he said that Iran has the right to nuclear energy. He added that, quote, a nation that has civilization does not need nuclear weapons and our nation does not need them. CNN has clarified what the Iranian president said and apologized here on the air to the Iranians directly, as well as on the air."
Hmmm, maybe the Bush administration should take a cue from iran and ban CNN, also!
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 16, 2006, 08:36 PM

Already a thread on this...although tour title is more clear.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=282182

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 16, 2006, 08:39 PM

The translator fekked up.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2006, 11:18 PM

The two threads have been merged for convenience.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 11:35 PM

How similar are the two words when pronounced? Is this a case of homonymy or of a translator's unconscious bias slipping into his/her work?

Anyone know the words for weapons and technology in Farsi and their syntax for number (e.g.: pluralization)?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 04:21 AM

( Last edited by yakkiebah; Jan 17, 2006 at 04:35 AM. )

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 04:25 AM

My first thought was that it was a simple brain fart. The way some of us were accidentally interchanging the names bin Laden and Saddam when talking about the perpetrator of 9/11 it wasn't intentional, but when you are dealing with the two names, both dealing (at least on some level) with the same subject, the brain is concentrating on concepts and ideas and the exact choice of words may not always be a priority.

Although understandable, this kind of slip up by the translator is the essence of choking during an important 'game.' If they have been dismissed I would not be surprised nor do I think the translator would have blamed them for doing so.

Tsk tsk. Maybe CNN will rededicate themselves to accuracy in every facet of their reporting.

EDIT: It took me a few minutes to compose and so yakkiebah's post appeared after I submitted mine.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 08:21 AM

well, the words "slam-dunk" started the other war so.........

words are powerful in the hands of the right propagandist.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
well, the words "slam-dunk" started the other war so.........

words are powerful in the hands of the right propagandist.
Oh? Please enlighten me. I have heard nothing of this.

EDIT: Ahhh! I just Googled it. Hyperbole, Nicko.

Forum Links
Forum Rules