Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canon, the Digital Rebel XT, and Product Lifecycles

Canon, the Digital Rebel XT, and Product Lifecycles
Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 05:59 PM

Ok, I hate it when people post questions like this about Macs, but hey, at least they have http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Bascially, I am interested in getting a DSLR, have done a lot of research, and have all but decided on the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I only have one qualm: the camera was released 11 months ago.

Yes, I know if I need the camera now I should get it, and I know that the camera is awesome and will serve me well whether or not Canon releases something new tomorrow. That aside, my question is: does anyone know anything about Canon's release cycle? How often do they release new cameras in this price range?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006, 06:44 PM

It is a valid question as 11 months is rather old. If I were you I would hold out although I have no idea what canons product cycle is.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 24, 2006, 08:36 PM

i doubt they'll release a followup to the XT until late this year. the more likely new camera from canon will be the 30D. i'd wager that this will be announced by early spring.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 PM

Im looking at getting a Nikon D50, do you think they'll be changed any time soon?
dSLRs seem to be all the rage eh?
we don't have time to stop for gas

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 09:52 PM

the D50 hasn't been out very long, and the D70 was out for 3 or 4 years before they made any change (and the D70s can barely be considered a change). While I kind of doubt they'll wait that long on a more consumer-end model, they're probably not going to do much, if anything, to it this year.

"I start fires!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2006, 10:24 PM

Uhh, the D70 shipped in early 2004 (not even two years ago) and the D70s (a point update, so to speak) was released last June.

DSLRs are cameras; the models stick around a lot longer than computer gear does.

tooki

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Uhh, the D70 shipped in early 2004 (not even two years ago) and the D70s (a point update, so to speak) was released last June.

DSLRs are cameras; the models stick around a lot longer than computer gear does.

tooki
was it really that recently? Sorry for the misinformation then, I could've sworn Nikon had a high-end camera that went for 3 or 4 years without an update. Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

"I start fires!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2006, 10:45 PM

The D70 was, until the D50, their lowest-end camera. The D100 (low-end-pro and high-end prosumer model) was around for some time (released in early '02) until the recent release of the D200. The D70 is better than the D100 in so many ways, though, that the D70 decimated D100 sales.

tooki

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 02:18 PM

The rumors say that Canon might release a lower-end DSLR to undercut the D50 at PMA (late February). People seem to think replacing the XT is unlikely. Hopefully the rumors are wrong, since at this point I think the D50 beats the XT handily, so the XT could use an update.

Since you've just missed the rebates, waiting a bit longer hopefully won't hurt.

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
i doubt they'll release a followup to the XT until late this year. the more likely new camera from canon will be the 30D. i'd wager that this will be announced by early spring.
Follow-up? My cousin had one a few years ago
(Well, it was a D30, or was it 30D, don't remember )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 25, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Follow-up? My cousin had one a few years ago
(Well, it was a D30, or was it 30D, don't remember )
The D30 was the older model. It's only a guess that a successor would be a 30D.

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
The D30 was the older model. It's only a guess that a successor would be a 30D.
Maybe you've missed the smileys, here are some more

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

The XT is an excellent value, and I don't expect it to be updated any time soon. Like the others, I think the next one to be updated will be the 20D.

I don't think it will be called a 30D though.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 04:19 PM

Yeah, DSLRs seem to have a long life cycle, not just relative to computers, but to other digicams, especially compact point-and-shooters (many of those are replaced pretty reliably every year).

http://dpreview.com is a generally excellent place to read up about digicams and the industry. There's a very comprehensive timeline that you can always get to from the site's navbar, so once you figure out naming schemes, you can determine trends for how often a camera gets replaced.

The forums are great, too, and have occasional discussions about rumored upcoming cameras. If the digicam world has its staple of well-trafficked rumor sites a lá the Mac-related ones we all know, I'm not familiar with them. But you should be able to get some good educated guesses out of dpreview's forums..

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2006, 04:24 PM

Steve's Digicam is also not bad.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 12:55 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for the replies.

memento
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 01:41 PM

Still, PMA is next month. I would at least hold off until then. It would be like buying a mac a few weeks before MWSF. See what will be announced.

As to the product cycle of Canon DSLR? I really don't know the product cycle, but the useful life of a DSLR is very long. I have an original Digital Rebel and it's nowhere near being considered old. It's fast and takes fabulous pictures. ISO from 100 to 1600. Any lens you can afford to put on it.

Steve's Digicams seems to have the best PMA coverage (IMHO) and I like their forums, too.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules