Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Transfer music from cassettes

Transfer music from cassettes
americanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 10:48 AM

I have some custom cassettes of groups I recorded over 30 years ago. I'd like to transfer them to a CD. My cassette player has the standard red/white jacks for left and right and an earphone plug. I'm using an eMac to accomplish the transfer.

Can someone help me with the connections/cables needed to plug my cassette player into my eMac, then what software would be best to record and burn the music.

Thanks

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2007, 12:32 PM

I have done exactly this, using the Griffin iMic. The hardware works fine, and it comes with a program called "Final Vinyl", which will let you record and perform minimal editing. And when you're done with your tapes, you can transfer records, too.

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2007, 09:39 PM

If these cassettes were recorded in mono or have minimal stereo seperation, you will want to consider using only one side (right or left) of the cassette deck output to avoid phasing errors. Phasing is that "swishing" sound that you sometimes hear, which is actually phase cancellation. Most cassette decks are/were out of alignment, so cassettes recorded on one may play back out of phase on another. Listen to these tapes in mono through your stereo and you may hear the swishing. If they play back fine, you can go ahead and use the stereo output. Otherwise you may want to choose the right or left side and run it into a y-cord and then into your iMic, if you are using one. Some macs can take a direct line level input. I also am a fan of Felt Tip Software's Sound Studio for recording. It's expensive to register, but can be used as freeware.

Val

Forum Links
Forum Rules