Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Soundsticks and PowerBook G3 (Pismo)

Soundsticks and PowerBook G3 (Pismo)
macndave
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 03:45 PM

Okay, Okay. I went to the Apple Store, Tysons Corner to look at the new PowerBooks and the Cinema Display adapters (which is very nice). I had all the intentions of purchasing an 800mhz/40gig HDD and the DVI-to-ADC adapter, but I am still trying to decide not to buy the BTO with the 60gig HDD from Apple Online.

While walking around the store (trying to make a PowerBook decision), I stopped by to check out the Soundsticks. Needless to say, I was impressed. They were attached to a 667mhz TiBook (non-DVI) and the sound was very rich. Plus, the Soundsticks iSub was not crackling under OS 10.1.4. I have an iSub and Apple digital speakers attached to a Dual 533 G4 tower and can't use the iSub because of the crackling noises. But these were playing very well.

So, $208 dollars later, I am typing this message on my Pismo (the computer which refuses to be replaced) while listening to sweet sounding MP3s with iTunes.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2002, 05:39 AM

Yes, I have the SoundSticks in my Pismo 500 since last summer, one of the better purchases I have made. I can remember the first DVD movie I saw in my Pismo with the SoundSticks, The sixth day, (Arnold Schwarzenegger...), and the sound was amazing. In my SoundSticks�s instructions booklet, the Mac showed is a nice Pismo, and in your?

macndave  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 07:14 AM

In all honesty, I didn't even open the instructions booklet. I did notice that the PowerBook pictured on the side of the box is either a Lombard or a Pismo (only bronze keyboard PowerBooks with native USB ports).

I have a 500mhz Pismo (with 1 Gig of RAM) which is perfect for 80% of what I do, but the other 20% (VPC with Win2000 for Access development and VPN; Final Cut Pro) takes alittle longer to process than I would sometimes like). If I can ever convince myself to spend $4200+ dollars, I will get the 800mhz TiBook, Apple Care and the ADC adapter.

One thing I have noticed about the Soundsticks is that I don't care for the blue light diode all that much. I tend to play iTunes during the night, at low volume for ambient sound (kind of childish, but there are many more silly things a 40 year old could do). Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the blue light. I like night sound, not a night light.

I could probably cover the iSub or get a wife and then listen to her breathe (snore) at night

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 08:57 PM

I don't think the soundsticks provide decent sound, especially when playing DVD's. I would prefer something with a bit more power... Any ideas?
CHRIS SMITH

Forum Links
Forum Rules