Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook overheating?

12" Powerbook overheating?
Porco
Jan 9, 2003, 02:58 AM

I am with you guys that just ordered a 12"
powerbook. It will be the second powerbook in my household in two months... I am concerned about the overheating issue. If anyone reports from MWSF, it would be good to hear about this. I can always cancel my order and wait for the new revision... After all, this reminds me of buying a new car model...

Rob

palmberg
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Porco:
I am concerned about the overheating issue.
Me too. This could potentially be a deal breaker for me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2003, 11:02 AM

It is a little worrying, but I'm hoping that any reports of overheating are mostly due to the hot lighted tables they use at Macworlds, plus the fact that the machines were running non-stop all day, etc. I guess we will find out.

Porco  (op)
Jan 9, 2003, 04:47 PM

No thoughts on this yet? Craig said he played with both of them at MacWorld, but didn't report any issues... Someone help? I am thinking of canceling the order and waiting until a few people have it in hand to make my decision...

Rob

sledsbehave
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 02:25 AM

i would like to know as well. thinking of purchasing one at the end of the month. maybe they will be in store by then and i can try them out.

threadbump anyway
as ever,
sonny

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:17 AM

they're hot, very hot. but that's the same impression i was left with when the 15" was first shown here. whether or not the temps are damaging remains to be seen.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 04:25 AM

Keep in mind that the ones at Macworld are being used constantly all day, under hot lamps, and connected to external power.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 04:43 AM

I just came from MacWorld at SF and those 12" Powerbooks where running allday while being poked and prodded(and fondled heehee!) and I saw no overheat problems. I did not see one lock up or be replaced. They seemed okay to me.

PS(they where all constantly connected to an Airport Extreme Net and seemed ok!)

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:12 PM

I saw a feature here on MacNN saying they exhibited similar characteristics to a well used iBook -- namely, the left side of the keyboard and particularly the handrest heat up over the hard drive and other heat producing components. And overall the heating seems to be very similar to the iBook (I suppose the hotter G4/tighter case design and the better heat dissipation of aluminum than plastic kind of offset each other). If the keyboard is less bouncy than the iBook, however, I can't see this as too much of a problem, because if you touch type properly (which I can't on an iBook but can on a TiBook) your hands won't be constantly laying on the wrist rest anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules