Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upon startup, Apple logo distorts...why?

Upon startup, Apple logo distorts...why?
Plomo
Banned
Apr 11, 2006, 11:09 PM

I have an iMac from late 2004. It is a 1.8 Ghz machine running OS X 10.3.9.
When I start it up, the apple logo appears as normal for a second or two, then appears distorted, as if the file is being processed with the wrong pixel X pixel setting? The iMac will arrive at the desktop normally, at the usual speed (no slowdown).

Also, perhaps related...

My iMac has been running well, but recently, I occasionally get a lockup (can't force quit, arrow is frozen), and the fans start roaring, and I am forced to shut down manually by holding the power button. The iMac will start up fine, at normal speed, afterwards. t sure if this is related to the apple logo thing.

Any thoughts about whats going on here. Is this a warning of impending failure?
Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 02:16 AM

It could be hardware... it could be software. Start by running the hardware test that came with the machine. There could be any number of things going on.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2006, 09:24 AM

Hard to say without seeing it in person. But I think i'd say hardware. I had very similar issues with my G5 iMac 1.8ghz (Rev a) and it needed a new mobo under warranty.
I also had an eMac a while ago, that I overclocked, and that too used to have similar symptoms, until I clocked it to more realistic levels. But obviously in this case, it was my own poking about that caused the problem, but still, clearly it was a hardware issue.

Are there any other graphical anomalies? Flickering? Scrambled icons on the desktop?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Plomo  (op)
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your replies. Well, my iMac displays no other problems, such as power problems or other distortions on the screen..everything looks perfect otherwise. I just figured out however that this iMac has a serial number that is included in the repair program for early iMACs that have problems with power and video. Maybe I should just get it checked out, or call the apple people. I will run the hardware test though. Thanks for your help!

kick52
Baninated
Apr 16, 2006, 12:56 PM

i could be a hardware problem, with the graphics card. if so, next time you open a finder window, BANG. your iMac will violently explode right into your face causing blood to splatter around the room etc.

oh, sorry. i like going off in random tangents.

have you used BootX? that replaces the apple logo on startup.
try repairing the hard drive and permissions because the BootX file might be corrupted, or your system folder might, also causing crashes.

have you tried reseting pram and such?

also, do you have access to a digital camera? can we have some pics of the apple logo?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:01 PM

I say a virus. Yeah, definitely a virus.

primaldivine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 01:00 AM

Any luck solving this?
I have identical problem. G4 450 dual processor running Panther 10.3.9
No slowdown on start-up.
It started at some point, perhaps after I installed software called Screenography (screen capture software that records Quicktime movies of the screen)
I am wondering if it could be connected to Quicktime issues?
Anyone got any ideas?
I have used Disk Uitility & Tiger Cache cleaner and done all the usual fix-it steps, and can't find a cause or solution.
thanks

http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/bang.gif

kick52
Baninated
Jul 25, 2006, 04:09 PM

try starting up in single user mode ( Apple + S ) and when you get to the UNIX prompt, type fsck -y -f a couple of times until it says there is no damage.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
I say a virus. Yeah, definitely a virus.
evidence ???
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2006, 10:31 PM

It's just a joke response people make. Kind of like "because you touch yourself at night." Because there aren't any Mac viruses, see.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:42 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 26, 2006, 10:52 PM

Plomo, can you take a picture of the logo at startup?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 11:45 PM

ive seen this a ton of times and blame it on the displays...but you say youre on an imac, which strikes me as odd.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules