Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Way to disable secondary display without physically detaching it?

Way to disable secondary display without physically detaching it?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 05:14 PM

I just got a mini DVI to S-video/composite adaptor for my iMac core duo. I don't always need to use the secondary display (which happens to be my TV), and it is often off. I wondered if there is a way to disable the display without unplugging the mini DVI adaptor from its socket, because I just don't like the way things like dashboard and other little things behave with 2 monitors enabled for everyday use.

Another quick question; the largest display size my iMac will let me set the TV to is 1024 x 768. Is there a way to increase this? Its not the actual TV telling the iMac thats as big a res as it can handle, because I can unplug my TV from the adaptor, and I still get the same options.

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I just got a mini DVI to S-video/composite adaptor for my iMac core duo. I don't always need to use the secondary display (which happens to be my TV), and it is often off. I wondered if there is a way to disable the display without unplugging the mini DVI adaptor from its socket, because I just don't like the way things like dashboard and other little things behave with 2 monitors enabled for everyday use.

Another quick question; the largest display size my iMac will let me set the TV to is 1024 x 768. Is there a way to increase this? Its not the actual TV telling the iMac thats as big a res as it can handle, because I can unplug my TV from the adaptor, and I still get the same options.

Cheers

1024x768 is almost useless on a normal TV over S-Video. A normal TV's actual resolution is hardly even 640x480. With an S-Video switch, you may be able to trick the iMac into thinking the TV is disconnected.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 04:57 AM

Can't you just switch over to mirroring, rather than spanning, when you don't want to use the external display ? That way, the external screen will still be being used, but it won't actually make a difference to the way you're working. You can turn this on and off with a function-key shortcut, or using the displays menu-extra.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 05:03 AM

No. because the max res for the external display is only 1024 x 768 for some reason, if i switch to mirroring, my iMacs display also switches to 1024 x 768, and needless to say it looks awful
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
1024x768 is almost useless on a normal TV over S-Video. A normal TV's actual resolution is hardly even 640x480.
Actually, at 1024 x 768, the display on the LCD TV is very readable, with the standard size text in itunes etc. Anyway, the main reason for me using my TV as a display is so that I can watch DVDs on it etc

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 05:52 AM

Detrius was probably referring to older CRT SDTVs which indeed are 640x480 (usually only interlaced, too). Your LCD TV surely supports higher resolutions (seemingly up to 1024x768).

With a VGA connected monitor, usually turning it off and then telling the Mac to "Detect Displays" would cause it to stop recognizing that monitor. I don't know if you tried that. It might be different with S-Video and/or DVI.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 06:03 AM

Im guessing it different with S-video, because even when I leave the S-vid adaptor plugged into my iMac, and disconnect the cable from the adaptor to my TV, the res options stay the same, and the mac still thinks the display is connected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules