Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Your Mac Mini and You

Your Mac Mini and You
Applefreak01
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 05:42 PM

Hello everyone! I've been away from the Mac world for awhile now but I'm wanting to rejoin my lost brethren. So for those of you with the Mac Mini I am interested in hearing about what you think of them. My computing needs are simple. I use to be a gamer and still am, just on the consoles now. I mainly use my current computer for email, the web and chatting with my friends and family. I love Mac OS X and want to get back on a Mac asap. I don't need a big fancy Mac Pro or a laptop as I don't travel a lot. Please list what Mac Mini you have. I am currently leaning toward the 2.0 GHz with Superdrive. Thank you for your input.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 05:56 PM

I feel plenty of love for my mini. It rocks! It replaced my old G4 1GHz so it was a big step up in performance. It benefited from upping the RAM to 1.5GB (though 2GB would be better still).

When my new MBP went away for repairs (for nearly a month it turned out) it steped up to the plate running my CS3 apps perfectly well. It's pretty darn stable too.

All this in a tiny footprint.

Its only a 1.8 CD solo but it's fine. You'll love it.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2008, 07:12 PM

Have had my mini for about two months now, using it for the regular stuff (web/mail/school) and a bit of Garageband, has been perfect for me so far, except for the occasional beachball when I have lots of stuff going on. (The second my student budget can take it I'm getting a 2GB stick.)

I have a 1.83 C2D with combo drive; I'm using mostly external harddrives for storage, occasionally burning some stuff to CD. Got a FW audio interface and two externals hooked up to the only FW port, has worked well so far.

The quietness of it is a big plus since I have a pretty small room (student apartment); I have the desk right next to the bed with the Mac mini about a meter away from the head when I sleep; the room is almost completely silent after the externals have spun down.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'm pretty much sold on the Mini. I just wanted to know how some real people felt about it instead of reading some reviewer. I'm looking at getting the 1.8GHz Mini now. I have a brand new 320GB hard drive and DVD burner that I could get some USB/Firewire external enclosures for. My current computer was a nice gaming rig until I gave up on PC games and my video card died. I figured instead of putting up with Windows and getting another $500-$600 video card that I might as well get another Mac again. My last Mac was a iBook G3 and I loved it, it did everything I wanted and never let me down at all.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 09:24 PM

I think the mini would be great for you. However, if you really love chatting on the internet, maybe you should get a low end iMac so you can have iSight? Video chatting is pretty awesome, especially in Leopard. Just something you can think about.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Feb 14, 2008, 12:58 AM

I actually have an iSight web cam that I used when I had my iBook G3. Thanks for the input though.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2008, 04:52 PM

Minis are awesome. I've owned lots of different Macs, and have used them at work since '94. The Intel dual-core based mini would be perfect for you. I bought a 1.66 Core Duo for my mom and was impressed when the benchmarks embarrassed my old G5 tower.

I sold all my old LCD displays, so the mini was not as good a choice for me as the iMac was.... so I bought myself the 24".

Order 2 of the 2gig 5300 SODIMM RAM sticks at the same time, from whichever vendor you prefer. The real-world importance of maxing the RAM cannot be understated with the mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules