Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine Recovery of file from a 2nd machine

Time Machine Recovery of file from a 2nd machine
NDBounce
Senior User
Oct 7, 2008, 10:45 PM

Okay I did something rather foolish.

I sent in my MacBook Pro for repairs. However, earlier this morning I recorded a time sensitive podcast in Garage Band. But I forgot to move this file to my flash drive prior to sending the computer to Apple.

So there are two copies of the file that I need in existence. 1 is on a DHL truck/airplane. The other is on my hard drive that has my Time Machine backups.

As I am in school, I have other friends who have Macs and said I could use their machine to edit/post the podcast. The bad news is I don't know how (or if it is even possible) to access the file from the Time Machine back up form a different computer. Can someone tell me if this is even possible.

I connected the Time Machine drive to a computer and saw a file with a .sparsebundle extension, which I assume has all my Time Machine files in it. Is there a way I can open this? If I boot my friend's machine from a Leopard DVD can I restore only the one file (which is sitting on the desktop in my user account)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

O
B unce!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2008, 11:13 PM

From Time Machine's menu extra (right side of the menubar, near the date and Spotlight's magnifying glass),
hold the option key... and the "Enter Time Machine" item will change to "Browse Other Time Machine Disks".

[if its menu extra isn't there... then enable it (show "status") from System Prefs->Time Machine.]
-HI-

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2008, 12:12 AM

Unfortunately this did not work. I think that is only to open other time machine backups from of the same machine.

I guess on the one hand I should be happy that my backups are secure. But on the other hand, it would be nice to not have to re-record the podcast.

Oh well...

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2008, 12:41 AM

I figured this out, and it was much simpler than I thought. I will post the solution in case someone else needs it in the future.

Using a machine that is running OS 10.5, simply double click the .sparsebundle file to mount it as a disk image. This can take several minutes to mount (my sparsebundle was 206GB and took about 20 minutes to mount).

Then all the files will be in directories by date. Woo-hoo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules