Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > NES Style Font?

NES Style Font?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2014, 02:37 PM

I bought a new house and it needed a new mailbox. So I got one, and now I need to apply my name and number to it. So I'm going to make a stencil and paint it on. But what font, what font?

I was wondering this while I was playing the original Metroid on OpenEmu. Then it hit me, NES font!
So I found one called "Emulogic" and it's OK but, it's full blocky. Now I'm fully aware that NES and it's probably 240p resolution was blocky, and it just 'seemed' smooth due to the poor TV quality.

So does anyone have any thoughts on how I might smooth out this font, so it doesn't look blocky, but still looks like the NES font we all know and love? This will be primarily for my mailbox but I might also put my name on my screen doors or something.

Emulogic font | UrbanFonts.com

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2014, 02:44 PM

I would say the blockiness is part of the "charm". The larger point size you use, the more the blockiness will be evident.

You can search for other pixel fonts and find some that are smoother, but may not seem as NES-ish.

8 bit wonder seems nice:

Bitmap, pixel, screen fonts, small fonts, userbar | dafont.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 11:42 AM

Speaking of vintage, you could also go with Motter Tektura.

P
Jul 15, 2014, 05:29 PM

The blurriness you remember comes from the poor cables used to transmit the signal from NES to TV. Some emulators have filters to replicate that effect, with different settings for RF modulator (blurriest), composite, S-video and component (essentially sharp).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules