Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCal to get name change?

iCal to get name change?
CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 09:44 PM

On the just-released iPod 1.2 Update on VersionTracker, Apple lists the following point:
  • Calendar -- display industry standard iCalendar appointments and alarms
Are they referring to some standard behind iCal called iCalendar? Or do they refer to industry standard XML calendars generated by a future app called iCalendar?

Hmm...

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 10:05 PM

Let's hope Apple changes the name to iCalendar, iCal is seriously one of the worst names I've heard in a while.

Ben Rigas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by CreamyAcorn:
On the just-released iPod 1.2 Update on VersionTracker, Apple lists the following point:
  • Calendar -- display industry standard iCalendar appointments and alarms
Are they referring to some standard behind iCal called iCalendar? Or do they refer to industry standard XML calendars generated by a future app called iCalendar?

Hmm...
I am pretty sure they are just referring to the XML calendar format called iCalendar. Here's a page on w3c.org explaining it: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/foo

-Ben

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 10:51 PM

Every time I hear/read "iCal" I keep thinking of Alex from Clockwork Orange; his term for sht was "cal."

I kinda hope they change it too.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

CreamyAcorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 10:52 PM

Well that sucks. In terms of nomenclature that is... why couldn't the creator of the iCalendar standard call it XMLCal or something, at least apple would of have had options

No hope of iCal ever being renamed I guess.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 10:55 PM

iCal makes me think of a calculator rather than a calendar

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2002, 11:55 PM

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple changed iCal's name. There are already several calendar products named iCal, and I don't think Apple's going to be able to win a trademark dispute with some of them. Better, then, to simply change the name.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 12:02 AM

iCal sounds like an application that people attending Weight Watchers consult before every meal...
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

mattmarshall
Senior User
Aug 9, 2002, 01:03 AM

for those that already have access to Jaguar and "iCal," make a calendar, publish it to .Mac, and try to visit the page you've published. supposedly, it tries to go to icalendar.mac.com/yourcalendar (or /something).

more evidence of the change. i hope this is the case.

iCal is the worst name yet.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by graffix:
iCal sounds like an application that people attending Weight Watchers consult before every meal...
Actually, that'd be something more like iFlubber.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2002, 02:44 AM

iCalender is much better IMHO, and it's a nice app.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2002, 10:56 AM

iCal (the name) is just 100% foolish.

From a marketing standpoint, you have iMovie for creating and editing home MOVIES, iPhoto for editing and organizing your photo collection, iTunes for organizing and playing your music...

iCal just doesn't say anything to me... It does sound like a weight watchers program or some type of calibration software... iCalendar is SO much better!

Personally, I'm sick of all of the "i" applications and just with that they would start naming things as what they are. Keep the old names, but just name iCal Calendar or Internet Calendar... The whole "i" thing is lost because it once stood for Internet. Unfortunately... EVERYTHING today has to do with the internet...

Oh well... I think they keep the whole iApp thing so that all of those programs fall together in an alphabetical listing of programs.

-Q-
Aug 11, 2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
iCal (the name) is just 100% foolish.

From a marketing standpoint, you have iMovie for creating and editing home MOVIES, iPhoto for editing and organizing your photo collection, iTunes for organizing and playing your music...

iCal just doesn't say anything to me... It does sound like a weight watchers program or some type of calibration software... iCalendar is SO much better!

Personally, I'm sick of all of the "i" applications and just with that they would start naming things as what they are. Keep the old names, but just name iCal Calendar or Internet Calendar... The whole "i" thing is lost because it once stood for Internet. Unfortunately... EVERYTHING today has to do with the internet...

Oh well... I think they keep the whole iApp thing so that all of those programs fall together in an alphabetical listing of programs.
I have to agree: the whole 'i" app thing is getting a bit overdone. But I have to say that, in this case, iCal makes better sense to me than, say, iDVD. One of the key features of iCal is that you can share you calendar over the internet w/your family and friends. Where, exactly, am I sharing a DVD via the internet?

It seems that the "i" apps, like the iMac, have been used as a stand-in for the term "consumer", ignoring the fact that the 'i" may or may not fit with the application.

Forum Links
Forum Rules