Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Powermac died!

G4 Powermac died!
Thread Tools
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2005, 08:31 AM
 
My sisters G4 466 Powermac's fuse has blown, is it easy to replace the fuse or does a whole new power lead need to be bought? (is it sealed?). Please let me know asap as i need to get this fixed today, thanks!
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"
     
villalobos
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2005, 09:14 PM
 
Originally posted by pantalaimon:
My sisters G4 466 Powermac's fuse has blown, is it easy to replace the fuse or does a whole new power lead need to be bought? (is it sealed?). Please let me know asap as i need to get this fixed today, thanks!
What makes you think its the fuse?
     
Detrius
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Asheville, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2005, 11:17 PM
 
There is no fuse to replace (even if there was, you wouldn't want to).

Step one: try a PMU reset.
Step two: check the voltage from the power supply.
Step three: If there is nothing, order a replacement power supply and wait for it to come in.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3
     
villalobos
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2005, 06:59 PM
 
Originally posted by Detrius:
There is no fuse to replace (even if there was, you wouldn't want to).

Step one: try a PMU reset.
Step two: check the voltage from the power supply.
Step three: If there is nothing, order a replacement power supply and wait for it to come in.

Also,IIRC a dead battery on the motherboard will prevent the Powermac from starting alltogether, hence looking like the power supply is dead. You may wanna check that.
     
Detrius
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Asheville, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2005, 09:19 PM
 
Originally posted by villalobos:
Also,IIRC a dead battery on the motherboard will prevent the Powermac from starting alltogether, hence looking like the power supply is dead. You may wanna check that.
This is related to the PMU reset. Pulling the power cord and waiting a few seconds before you plug it in can fix this.

I have seen a few very odd issues on some older machines, though. On the original TiBook, a bad battery really can make a machine look like it has serious problems with the logic board. On the 6500, I saw one with a bad battery that was keeping the clock from even running. In general, though, it's a small issue.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3
     
nerd
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2005, 12:35 AM
 
There is a fuse in the power supply. You will have to open it up to replace it. Are you sure that is what it is? Search around and you'll find a document that will tell you how to check for the trickle supply voltage off the power supply. This will tell you if the supply is good or not. Try http://xlr8yourmac.com . Look under the section of case mods for the G4.

I blew the fuse in my Dual 533 once but it was because I shorted out the mains when I had the power supply cover off while replacing the fan.

Brad
     
Detrius
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Asheville, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2005, 08:42 PM
 
Originally posted by nerd:
There is a fuse in the power supply. You will have to open it up to replace it. Are you sure that is what it is? Search around and you'll find a document that will tell you how to check for the trickle supply voltage off the power supply. This will tell you if the supply is good or not. Try http://xlr8yourmac.com . Look under the section of case mods for the G4.

I blew the fuse in my Dual 533 once but it was because I shorted out the mains when I had the power supply cover off while replacing the fan.

Brad
The power supply, like the Power/Analog/Video board of the iMac and eMac, is something that you should not open up unless you know what you are doing, as they can both kill you. Replacing a fuse inside of here is not advisable. If you have a voltmeter, you can check for the trickle voltage on the pins of the power supply. Only one pin should have any voltage when nothing is connected to the power supply.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,