Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Call Notification Software...

Call Notification Software...
flabasha
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 03:53 AM

So I have a home office and a dialup connection (I know, but I can't afford DSL) and it's ridiculously frustrating that I don't get notified of an incoming call on OSX... cheap fifteen dollar phones have caller ID capability! Of course, there's the legendary System Preferences box "Notify me of incoming calls" which has never once worked for anyone I know. So for a real solution, these appear to be my options (and yes, I have a V92 modem)...

Buy Phone Valet hardware for $200. (too pricey)
Use AOL (I'd rather die. And does this feature work for Mac, anyone?)

And that's it, right? The hardware can do it, so why no shareware software, or Safari implementation? Am I missing something? It seems absurd in this day and age that a computer can't do what a fifteen-dollar phone can...

Thanks for any help or thoughts!

headbirth
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 08:29 AM

v92 works for me ... I think it requires you to have call waiting.

flabasha  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks for your response... I do have call waiting as well. In fact, I've switched phone companies, and on both services, both with call waiting, I've never once been notified of a call coming through...

Forum Links
Forum Rules