Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Latch problem

Latch problem
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 08:28 PM

I know I've read somewhere about Powerbook 15" latch problem that it doesn't hold it well enough. It just gets disconnected easily. I remember reading that a guy did it himself fixing the latch problem.. Something like that..

I couldn't find the thread back then. So I got to created my new thread and have someone to help me out.

Anyone who did fixed their latch on the powerbook?? Thanks!!!!

:-D

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 10:49 PM

When I saw the process explained, I kept it so when I get my PB 15" this week, I'll be able to fix.

So, here it is:
=============================================
I've been working with Apple over the last several days to solve my latch issue. They also offered to replace the unit, or have me ship it to them for repair. However, because I'm leaving the country on Wednesday the time does not allow for either of these options... SO, my Apple rep. talked to engineering and they agreed to (for the sake of time) walk me through the process of repairing my PowerBook on the phone. Here's what they said:
With the PowerBook open, depress the latch button and notice how it move a small piece of metal inwards (toward the keyboard) to open the latch. When the latch is no longer secured by this piece of metal, it pops open. Obviously, if the latch itself was slightly bent towards the front of the PowerBook, it could easily pop open.

So, close the PowerBook to the point that the latch is drawn out and catch it with your finger. Hold onto the latch and raise the lid. Now, using gentle pressure, push downwards (toward the keyboard) on the latch. Only do it slightly. You are bending the latch downwards. Now close the PowerBook and see if it helps. If it is not quite where it needs to be, continue the process.

Be careful, because too much pressure could break the latch, or damage the unit. Do it in small increments until it works better.

The Apple rep told me this is what the repair tech would do...

I did this and my PowerBook works great now!

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Bonhomme7heures:
When I saw the process explained, I kept it so when I get my PB 15" this week, I'll be able to fix.

So, here it is:
=============================================
I've been working with Apple over the last several days to solve my latch issue. They also offered to replace the unit, or have me ship it to them for repair. However, because I'm leaving the country on Wednesday the time does not allow for either of these options... SO, my Apple rep. talked to engineering and they agreed to (for the sake of time) walk me through the process of repairing my PowerBook on the phone. Here's what they said:
With the PowerBook open, depress the latch button and notice how it move a small piece of metal inwards (toward the keyboard) to open the latch. When the latch is no longer secured by this piece of metal, it pops open. Obviously, if the latch itself was slightly bent towards the front of the PowerBook, it could easily pop open.

So, close the PowerBook to the point that the latch is drawn out and catch it with your finger. Hold onto the latch and raise the lid. Now, using gentle pressure, push downwards (toward the keyboard) on the latch. Only do it slightly. You are bending the latch downwards. Now close the PowerBook and see if it helps. If it is not quite where it needs to be, continue the process.

Be careful, because too much pressure could break the latch, or damage the unit. Do it in small increments until it works better.

The Apple rep told me this is what the repair tech would do...

I did this and my PowerBook works great now!
YESSSSSSSSSS THAT ONE!!!!! THANKSSSSSS!!!!!!!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:30 PM

Man, i couldn't fix it out.. I followed the instruction A to Z-- detailed.. but now my latch wont lock at all. I have to push the latch with paper clip in order to make it completely locked?!

Any suggestion, anyone??

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:53 PM

I'm looking for someone who had the same problem as this.... Or could have help me out, Thanks.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 08:16 AM

There is a second type of latch problem in which the latch doesn't extend far enough to the right to go fully under the metal bar. The not-so-much-of-a-solution for this is to close the lid faster, and the accelleration pushes the latch all the way closed.

I discovered this solution on my own, and also read it somewhere online (no link, sorry). It's been working for me, although I don't like being so rough with my 'book. The technique I've come up with is to gently close the lid until it's about 1" from being closed, and then quickly and firmly push it down the final inch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules