Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Having trouble running LAN games in Mac OSX

Having trouble running LAN games in Mac OSX
Helmling
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2015, 07:59 PM

The Minecraft forums were useless, but I've always found this community can help solve like, any problem I ever have.

So here's the deal. My kids and I used to run LAN games of Minecraft on our home network all the time. Then, after a hiatus, we tried to start one up and for some reason, no matter what combination of host and server we try, we can't detect any LAN games.

I don't have any firewall running, but I'm thinking it might have something to do with a Java update. But I can't figure it out. Anyone had a similar problem?

P
Mar 8, 2015, 05:45 AM

New router maybe? My newest (Netgear) is much more limiting than the old one, and refuses to let the AppleTV wake the iMac, for instamce. There is usually a way to reconfigure them in the router interface, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
New router maybe? My newest (Netgear) is much more limiting than the old one, and refuses to let the AppleTV wake the iMac, for instamce. There is usually a way to reconfigure them in the router interface, though.
Nope. Nothing's changed in terms of hardware. That's why I suspected it was because of some java update that I installed at some point in the intervening months between playing our last successful game and trying again recently.

P
Mar 11, 2015, 06:30 PM

I don't run Java on anything anymore, but sure, they could easily have added a security feature that blocks it. Anything in the control panel (System Preferences)? I seem to remember adding something to the security exceptions list to make an application at work execute, because a recent Java update killed all unsigned applications.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2015, 01:27 PM

Are you running a mix of laptops on wifi, with desktops on ethernet? All macs, or some PCs?

We would have issues with this. You may need to add the 5 digit number to the end of your hosting IP computer : 168.00.01.128:25565 or similar.

This post is kind of what I'm remembering:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...lem-mac-and-pc

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Are you running a mix of laptops on wifi, with desktops on ethernet? All macs, or some PCs?

We would have issues with this. You may need to add the 5 digit number to the end of your hosting IP computer : 168.00.01.128:25565 or similar.

This post is kind of what I'm remembering:
1.3.2 Lan Multiplayer Problem - Mac and PC - Unmodified Minecraft Client Support - Support - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum
Nope. All MacBooks.

When you say add the 5 digit number, you mean the port number Minecraft gives me? Is that trying direct connect? Because I tried that, but the connection times out. I reinstalled Java from the 2014-001 link, but that does nothing. My firewall is just plain off on all the computers.

I just don't get it. We used to be able to do this no problem. Then all of a sudden, it won't work.

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2015, 02:53 PM

Direct connect with the whole number, IP : port?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules