Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 300 (Movie)

300 (Movie)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 06:35 PM

Holy friggon crap...this movie looks like it's going to be awesome. it's definately a movie you want to goto the movies for.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 08:14 PM

I thought the trailer looked horrible, tho I can't really put my finger on why I disliked it so much. The camera shots looked as if they were comic book panels maybe (no small wonder this). Not much of an epic feel to it in scope. The color palette of the trailer bugged me as well. Dunno. It may be a cool movie, but I'll pass on it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 08:19 PM

Looks awsome! This one I'll see for sure. No more Alexander homoerotic crap. Some real stuff!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 08:20 PM

I liked the trailer. But I think its one of those movies that could go either way easily. I'm hoping its good, because it has great potential (based on the trailer).

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 08:24 PM

Yeah, posted this trailer link up a while ago.

Definitely looks true to Frank Miller's work. Looking forward to it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Yeah, posted this trailer link up a while ago.

Definitely looks true to Frank Miller's work. Looking forward to it.
Now that I agree with, and maybe that's why I'm not so sold on it. I wasn't really thrilled with 300 as a comic, so I'm probably going into this with a bias. Speaking of Frank Miller: Angelina Jolie in Sin City 2. Jessica Alba in Sin City 2. What else can a fella need?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
I thought the trailer looked horrible, tho I can't really put my finger on why I disliked it so much. The camera shots looked as if they were comic book panels maybe (no small wonder this). Not much of an epic feel to it in scope. The color palette of the trailer bugged me as well. Dunno. It may be a cool movie, but I'll pass on it.
Everything you disliked about this I loved. Man, this definitely looks epic to me.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 01:58 AM

Thats what i was about to say Rev-O, everything you disliked, i liked as well. i especially loved the colors.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 08:26 PM

Man… I just saw the trailers today - wow! I am so anticipating this movie. I'm looking foreward to it with very high expectations (usually not a good thing to do…) and I am full of hope that it won't be let down… We'll see.

Favorite quote: "This. Is. Sparta!" So intense!
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Feb 2, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo)

Lava Lamp Freak
Jan 20, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
Man… I just saw the trailers today - wow! I am so anticipating this movie. I'm looking foreward to it with very high expectations (usually not a good thing to do…) and I am full of hope that I won't be let down… We'll see.

Favorite quote: "This. Is. Sparta!" So intense!
My favorite quote: "Then when will fight in the shade."

I watch the trailer at least once a day.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 20, 2007, 09:39 PM

If it's just gory for gores sake, which is what the myspace ads looked like, I'll pass. Any movie that tries to sell on gore instead of story is freakin' stupid.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 09:49 PM

wow.

that is all.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 11:09 PM

Gladiator meets the Orcs from Lord of the Rings.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2007, 11:54 PM

Looks like a thrill ride.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
My favorite quote: "Then when will fight in the shade."

I watch the trailer at least once a day.

Yep, that is one fine line, too. In fact, I like it even better than my quote, but I didn't think of it…

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Everything you disliked about this I loved. Man, this definitely looks epic to me.
Ditto. Jaw-dropping cinematography and simply beautiful color tone! Couldn't get any more epic than that.

If the movie do suck in some way, I don't care. It's a true work of art and I applaud the team behind it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 01:38 PM

I love the source material, but I'm not so sure what the finished product is going to be like. I can't decide if I like or dislike the trailer. I WANT to like it, but I dunno. I'll wait for all of you guys to watch it and listen to your "reviews."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
If it's just gory for gores sake, which is what the myspace ads looked like, I'll pass. Any movie that tries to sell on gore instead of story is freakin' stupid.
I agree in most cases except this one. A movie about a bloody battle better have a good deal of gore. I cannot stand these sterilized ancient battle scenes.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 12:59 AM

Invisible.... but that's been done. Again and again and again. Gladiator. Troy. Augustus. Braveheart. Patriot. Blah, blah, blah.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 06:02 AM

Invisible.... but that's been done. Again and again and again. Gladiator. Troy. Augustus. Braveheart. Patriot. Blah, blah, blah.
If you'd have read the comic, or the collected harbound graphic novel (I have both- I got the series when it was first released), you would know that

#1. This movie is based off of true events (which is partly why its so awesome).
#2. This movie is <i>nothing like Braveheart, Troy, Gladiator etc. Its a story about the Spartans and their way of life more than it is about the battle. The battle is just the vehicle that is used to illustrate what a Spartan is.

As for Rev-O's complaints, there are shots directly lifted from Frank Miller's "camera work" in the comic book. Miller's a master, and I think his work translates well on the screen.

Last of all, I want to praise Lynn Varley, since her colors are the least praised piece of the 300 story- which is a shame since her work is so integral to the overall production. I'm glad they were able to capture the heart and essence of her work on the big screen. Whether or not people like the story, just from seeing the trailer this movie has already proved to be an incredible piece of art.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 06:36 AM

looks awesome
we don't have time to stop for gas

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 09:06 AM

As someone who has spent a semester getting Greek History beaten into his head... I'm dubious in the extreme vis the movie's historical accuracy... looks fun, but don't take it as pure history...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 06:07 PM

Just recieved the book

Before I see a movie that is based on a book, I usually read it. This time I am even more expectant, since it's like waiting for the pictures coming to life on the big screen…

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 07:28 AM

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I just recieved a call from a friend, telling me that he has tickets for the world premier of 300. It's going to be shown at the Berlinale (in Berlin, of course). Well, if one has to live in Germany, it has to be Berlin… :-)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 09:41 AM

Where did you get the book from? It looks really good.
I can't wait for this movie.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
No more Alexander homoerotic crap.

Around the same age (13), a boy was expected to find himself an older (male) lover. Pederasty, a social practice common throughout most of Greece, was especially so in Sparta, where the ephors fined any eligible man who did not love a boy.[3] However, Spartan pederasty, in contrast to the prevalent form of the practice, was of a chaste nature despite being inspired by erotic desire. Cicero asserts that, "The Lacedaemonians, while they permit all things except outrage (hubris, referring here to homosexual coitus) in the love of youths, certainly distinguish the forbidden by a thin wall of partition from the sanctioned, for they allow embraces and a common couch to lovers.' (De Rep., iv. 4)
The Spartans believed that encouraging the older, accomplished men of the city to have loving relations with adolescents was conducive to their education and the good of the city. Consequently, the title of the older lover was eispnelas, "inspirer," and for the younger beloved, aitas, "hearer." Male-to-male relationships served as a way to reinforce the masculine education of the Spartan boys.
Just sayin'

And:

Bisexual relations were commonplace among Spartan women, and it was often considered acceptable for married Spartan women to have affairs with unmarried women in their prime. This, by modern standards, would be considered adultery, but the Spartans did not consider it as such. There is one exception to the normal rule regarding marriages in Sparta. Women were more independent than in other Greek societies, and were able to negotiate with their husbands to bring their lovers into their homes. According to Plutarch in his work Life of Lycurgus, men both allowed and encouraged their wives to bear the children of other men, due to the general communal ethos which made it more important to bear many progeny for the good of the city, than to be jealously concerned with one's own family unit. However, some historians argue that this 'wife sharing' was only reserved for elder males who had not yet produced an heir. For this reason, Plutarch claims that the concept of "adultery" was alien to the Spartans, and relates that one ancient Spartan had said that it was as possible to find a bull with a neck long enough to stand on a mountain top and drink from a river below, as to find an adulterer in Sparta.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 11:05 AM

I cant wait to see the movie, even if in the back of my head I see the king as a skinny Bluto when he yells 'This is Sparta!'

Then the persian he kicked in the well goes 'ug ug ug ug ug'

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 11:07 AM

Looks great..

I LOVE historical movies.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I LOVE historical movies.
Me too but not movies like Pearl Harbor ugh.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 01:20 PM

I didn't mind Pearl Harbor. But then again I saw it right after getting back from a ER visit after someone wrecked into my car, and was pretty messed up on Demerol. Soo...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 01:31 PM

i saw this trailer when i went to see departed on its opening night and was immediately got sucked in and have been anxiously waiting to see this movie.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Where did you get the book from? It looks really good.
I can't wait for this movie.
I ordered from Amazon. It's not that I am now a fan of graphic novels, but the book looks very cool.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 01:54 PM

I saw the preview for the movie in the theater the other day. I don't know much about the movie, but what I saw seemed really bizarre. The actual story of the Spartans' defense of Thermopylae and the Greek/Persian war is pretty inspiring on its own. Having the Persians ride what appeared to be dinosaurs into battle, hurl cave trolls at the defenders, etc., just seems to cheapen the story for me. Funny thing is, without the historical parallel, I'd probably be fine with it. I guess I'm just put off by our need to take a pretty amazing and true story and "improve" it in this way. What's next, the Persians ride to battle in monster trucks with confederate flags flying in the back, but are stopped at the last minute by Jesus and the Swedish bikini team in Rambo gear?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid View Post
What's next, the Persians ride to battle in monster trucks with confederate flags flying in the back, but are stopped at the last minute by Jesus and the Swedish bikini team in Rambo gear?
I would actually LOVE to see a movie like that. It'd be awesome, especially while stoned.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 02:05 PM

I saw the preview for the movie in the theater the other day. I don't know much about the movie, but what I saw seemed really bizarre. The actual story of the Spartans' defense of Thermopylae and the Greek/Persian war is pretty inspiring on its own. Having the Persians ride what appeared to be dinosaurs into battle, hurl cave trolls at the defenders, etc., just seems to cheapen the story for me. Funny thing is, without the historical parallel, I'd probably be fine with it. I guess I'm just put off by our need to take a pretty amazing and true story and "improve" it in this way. What's next, the Persians ride to battle in monster trucks with confederate flags flying in the back, but are stopped at the last minute by Jesus and the Swedish bikini team in Rambo gear?
I'm not sure if that's the case here. If you've seen Sin City, you'll know Frank Miller's style is to exaggerate and expound on real life...that's the point of a graphic novel. You would have a point with a movie like Titanic or Pearl Harbor where they have to add a love story to make the movie popular.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:05 PM

I would actually LOVE to see a movie like that. It'd be awesome, especially while stoned.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 02:22 PM

Next Rob NN thread title

So I decided to roll a huge joint....

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I'm not sure if that's the case here. If you've seen Sin City, you'll know Frank Miller's style is to exaggerate and expound on real life...that's the point of a graphic novel. You would have a point with a movie like Titanic or Pearl Harbor where they have to add a love story to make the movie popular.
Yeah, I understand that this is a graphic novel thing. I certainly understand that my tastes aren't the only ones out there. :-)

With Titanic and Pearl Harbor, I was actually OK with the additions because they didn't change the fundamental facts of the story. In these cases, they just added personal story elements. If the Japanese had been accompanied by alien warships in Pearl Harbor, or if the Titanic had been boarded by leather-clad space pirates in search of booty, I think I'd have the same reaction I did to 300.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:13 PM

If the Japanese had been accompanied by alien warships in Pearl Harbor, or if the Titanic had been boarded by leather-clad space pirates in search of booty, I think I'd have the same reaction I did to 300.
If those leather-clad space pirates were chicks, I'd love Titanic!

flyordiedays
Feb 2, 2007, 03:31 PM

andreas, that book does look quite interesting, and I've never been a big fan of graphic novels either. Man, I hope this movie doesn't disappoint.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by flyordiedays View Post
andreas, that book does look quite interesting, and I've never been a big fan of graphic novels either. Man, I hope this movie doesn't disappoint.
I can tell you after February 15th…

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 01:39 PM

I just came back from the premier. It's a great movie in terms of cinematography, a great style. The story is as comic like as the book, although there are some minor differences to Frank Miller's book. It's so easy to follow that you probably get the gist even when not listening, but they have some very funny sequences and lines, if one doesn't mind a very great deal of pathos. I liked it very much and I will see it again when it hits theatres officially.

If you want to see it, don't miss to watch it on the big screen!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 01:50 PM

When is this movie going to be released nationwide?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 01:59 PM

March 5th

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 02:03 PM

Woot!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 03:46 PM

if the Titanic had been boarded by leather-clad space pirates in search of booty
That would have made the movie at least *somewhat* worthwhile, though.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 10:57 PM

If you think about how the Greeks retold this story to their children, it would probably have turned out something like the movie. Epic battles. Horrible monsters. Foreign warriors.

Plus all the actors in it had to work out, a lot, as they were required to have natural muscle in all the shots. (I respect that)

Should be a fun watch.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
I just came back from the premier. It's a great movie in terms of cinematography, a great style. The story is as comic like as the book, although there are some minor differences to Frank Miller's book. It's so easy to follow that you probably get the gist even when not listening, but they have some very funny sequences and lines, if one doesn't mind a very great deal of pathos. I liked it very much and I will see it again when it hits theatres officially.

If you want to see it, don't miss to watch it on the big screen!
Any comment on the actor performances while not fighting, and the general allure of the story as told by this director?

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 12:24 PM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 01:56 PM

Thats one darn good review there Albert. Makes me want to see it even more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules