Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe CS3 Released.....Thoughts?

Adobe CS3 Released.....Thoughts?
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 04:44 AM

Adobe Announces CS3 Product Line

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/A...80047-580.html

Adobe Systems has announced the Adobe Creative Suite 3 (CS3) product line.

The company says the new CS3 line-up unites the best of Adobe and Macromedia product innovation to provide designers and developers with a broad spectrum of creative options for all facets of print, web, mobile, interactive, film, and video production.

There are six all-new configurations of Adobe CS3, which include Adobe CS3 Design Premium and Design Standard editions; Adobe CS3 Web Premium and Web Standard editions; and Adobe CS3 Production Premium. Rounding out the product line is Adobe CS3 Master Collection, which combines 12 of Adobe's new design and development applications in a single box.

To begin with, Adobe CS3 Design Premium delivers an essential toolkit for print, web, interactive and mobile design while Adobe CS3 Design Standard focuses on professional print design and production. The Adobe CS3 Web Premium combines the leading web design and development tools while Adobe CS3 Web Standard serves the professional web developer. The Adobe CS3 Production Premium, meanwhile, is a complete post-production solution for video professionals.

And lastly, Adobe CS3 Master Collection combines 12 new creative applications in one box, enabling customers to design across all media, including print, web, interactive, mobile, video and film.

The majority of Adobe CS 3 editions will be available as Universal applications for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs and support Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista. Customers will experience increased levels of performance and speed running CS3 natively on Intel-based Macintosh systems and the latest Windows hardware.

Speaking on the occasion, Bruce Chizen, Chief Executive Officer, Adobe, said, "This release reflects the powerful integration between Adobe and Macromedia and how our products bridge the gap between designers and developers. With new workflows that streamline collaboration and impact the development of rich content, designers and developers now have the creative license to engage audiences across virtually every medium."

According to Adobe, customers can choose from six all-new suites or compelling full version upgrades of 13 stand-alone applications, including Photoshop CS3, Photoshop CS3 Extended, InDesign CS3, Illustrator CS3, Flash CS3 Professional, Dreamweaver CS3, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and After Effects CS3.

While Adobe CS3 Design Premium and Standard, and Adobe CS3 Web Premium and Standard will begin shipping next month, Adobe CS3 Production Premium and Adobe CS3 Master Collection for Mac OS X on Intel-based systems and for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista platforms will begin shipping worldwide in the third quarter of this year.

The pricing are - Adobe CS3 Design Premium for $1799 (Rs 77,716 approx); Adobe CS3 Web Premium for $1599 (Rs 69,076 approx); Adobe CS3 Production Premium for $1699 (Rs 73,396 approx); and Adobe CS3 Master Collection for $2499 (Rs 1,07,956 approx).

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 06:12 AM

So I guess GoLive is dead?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 09:39 AM

As dead as Freehand though… kind of collateral damage.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 09:47 AM

So, does Photoshop Extended benefit from a fast GPU with lots of memory?

Film, video, and multimedia professionals and graphic and web designers using 3D and motion have long relied on Adobe® Photoshop® software to help them create and enhance visual content for output to many media. Now, with new Photoshop CS3 Extended software, you can leverage the power of the Photoshop image-editing toolset and paint engine when editing 3D and motion-based content.

New features include the ability to paint and clone over multiple video frames, apply effects nondestructively, and perform 3D compositing and texture editing, so you can enjoy a more efficient image-editing workflow as you develop your creative ideas. Find out more about Photoshop CS3 Extended.

Support for common 3D interchange formats means you can import 3D models, edit their textures, and easily composite them with 2D and 3D content for presentations, product brochures, and manuals. You can set the scale of an image, take measurements, and export data to a spreadsheet program — and even take measurements in perspective with the enhanced Vanishing Point. And you can easily turn CAD images into animations for presentations, interactive assembly instructions, and more. Find out more about Photoshop CS3 Extended.

There is no mention of a good GPU being beneficial in the System Requirements.

It sounds like this may all be CPU based but I'm not sure.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 03:49 PM

I'm exceptionally excited about this release. Unfortunately though there seems to be no package specifically designed for people who need web design and print but not necessarily Premier Pro. Though I imagine that's part of what they're going for. I imagine they'll manage to take some market share away from FCP simply by having those all around Pros who need both Desktop Publishing and Web Design apps also having Premier Pro in their back pocket. I confess I'd be less inclined to pick up FCP. Especially if I can get Premier Pro to work with iDVD and if it's "Good Enough." I mean any video work I'll be doing probably won't quite need FCP.
Either way, I need to find out what the non-profit religious organization prices are going to be for these, and then go from there, I am very excited though.

Sage
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 04:29 PM

Goodbye, Fireworks. I’ll miss you.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Goodbye, Fireworks. I’ll miss you.
umm... why? Theres a Fireworks CS3.

Adobe - Fireworks CS3, Vector Graphics Editor, Vector Image Editor

Sage
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 04:50 PM

Oh, wow, I feel like a dope. When MacWorld broke the news yesterday, I couldn’t find any reference to it, nor could I find reference to it in the above article, so I assumed they killed it off in favor of PS.

Good, good.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 05:03 PM

Yah it looks like Fireworks is still alive which makes me so happy. Apparently the only killed off apps appear to be GoLive and FreeHand, both of which were under developed anyway.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 06:27 PM

I'm assuming ImageReady is gone too.

What went wrong with their webcast?

"On March 27, 2007, at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time, Adobe Systems will host a webcast of the official launch of Adobe® Creative Suite® 3, live from New York City. To participate, bookmark this page and join us back here on March 27."

There must be a few red faces at Adobe given that they're announcing a Web delivery package, but then a lot of their own web work is pretty awful!

Chris

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 10:26 PM

Yea ImageReady is gone.

Its funny about the webcast, the page they had everyone bookmark didn't change and a new one was created and linked to from the home page.
Adobe : CS3 Launch event webcast

chirpy22
Mar 27, 2007, 11:24 PM

I don't know how anyone can think GoLive was under developed? It had more features than Dreamweaver, it's just that it wasn't popular on the Windows platform.
I want to know why Fireworks isn't in the Design Premium package? Dreamweaver and Flash both are, but not Fireworks!
I have a feeling that because of that decision, Fireworks will slowly fade into non-existence. Most designers that work in both print and web will get the Design Premium edition. They will just use Photoshop for all their web design work and not even bother upgrading Fireworks. Slowly it will disappear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules