Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Optical Media + hangs system when ejected

Optical Media + hangs system when ejected
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 08:53 PM

Here's the problem....

I have a Sawtooth (1.4 Ghz 7455 G4, 896 Mb RAM, Pioneer DVR-110D, OS 10.4.3) and my system most of the time will hang for ~10 seconds or so when I try to eject a CD or DVD.

I don't think it's because my computer isn't powerful enough; it's hands down faster than my 800 Mhz G4 iBook, and the iBook doesn't have this problem. Additionally, sometimes my Powermac won't hang at all when a DVD is ejected.

I'm trying to pinpoint the source of the problem. Does this sound like a firmware problem for the DVD burner? I put one of the region free version 1.22 firmwares on the drive (forget the specific one)

Anyone have similar experience?
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 05:29 PM

Ok, I fixed it. It was a firmware issue as I expected. I flashed my drive with the 1.22 Firmware for a Pioneer DVR-110 and now optical media now immediately ejects. And now I have DVD-RAM burn support as well.

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2006, 12:15 PM

Actually, I never "solved" the problem. If I recently put in a CD or DVD, it will eject without problems. It's only when the optical media has been in the drive for a while that it will hang when trying to eject.

My only guess is that my dvd-rw drive is going to sleep and is taking a while to wake up. Is there a way to control the sleep settings just for the dvd drive without affect the entire system and hard drives?

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2006, 12:19 PM

I unchecked the "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" under energy saver in system preferences; some people said that will also disable the optical drives from going to sleep as well. How hard is it for the hard drives not to be put to sleep - is that option just to save power, or will it prevent the hard drive from wearing out faster?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules