Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > OS9 - Slow As Molasses At Starting Up

OS9 - Slow As Molasses At Starting Up
Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 08:14 PM

I'm very confused. I installed OS 9.1 on my iBook (specs in sig), and it runs like an absolute dog. Granted, I'm not intending doing anything much with it, just playing a few games I found, but I'm still totally horrified by its perfomance: it takes longer than Tiger to start-up, and once it does it's hardly what I'd call "nippy". It randomly freezes whilst doing things, then eventually reawakens with no explanation of what it was doing (and no apparent task achieved).

Now, the last Classic Mac OS I used was one of the 7s on a Performa, back in my school days, and I don't remember it being this bad. Am I suffering from a borked install (very likely--I had to hatchet it using an iMac G3 restore CD), or is it just that OS 9.1 is a genuinely poor operating system? Because from what I've seen, I really cannot fathom the fanatical support it receives from some; OSX is not perfect by any means, but it's light-years ahead of OS 9...

Cold Warrior
Jan 6, 2008, 08:20 PM

It worked ok for me on my old PowerBook G3. It shipped with 8.x, but then I upgraded to OS 9 when I could. Random freezes from time to time, which back then would lock up the whole system.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 08:29 PM

maybe if you updated to 9.2.2 it would help solve some of the problems. I'd tend to agree that using the iMac G3 disc could be causing problems depending on which model iMac it was from. If it's from a model older than the 466 clamshell you could be missing some extensions or something...

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It worked ok for me on my old PowerBook G3. It shipped with 8.x, but then I upgraded to OS 9 when I could. Random freezes from time to time, which back then would lock up the whole system.
Yeah... The (very brief) use I got out of OS 9 that came on the Clamshell prior to reformatting to OSX was plagued by the same problems. The more reading I do, the more I begin to realise that OS 9 was a dead-end technologically--it was encumbered by way too much baggage and obsolete technology, and it really wasn't cut out to be a modern OS.

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
maybe if you updated to 9.2.2 it would help solve some of the problems. I'd tend to agree that using the iMac G3 disc could be causing problems depending on which model iMac it was from. If it's from a model older than the 466 clamshell you could be missing some extensions or something...
It was the restore disk from the iMac in my sig, which is roughly contemporaneous to the iBook. But I suspect that it's definitely a part of it. I'll get round to doing it sometime, but I don't plan on using it very much, to be honest...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 02:22 PM

The installers for the classic Mac OS were very machine-specific. I remember trying to do something like that once many years ago and having all kinds of weird problems until I clean-installed a retail copy of the OS over it. You're probably missing some System Enabler or something that you need for the OS to run properly on your machine.

I'd just go look for a retail OS 9 disc on eBay or something. I can't imagine they'd cost too much.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules