Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Transfering iPod contents to new Mac/Hackintosh

Transfering iPod contents to new Mac/Hackintosh
roders
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2008, 08:57 AM

I'm going to build a new Hackintosh based on a Shuttle SD32G2, and I want transfer my music library (currently on my Core Duo MacMini) ideally AFTER I've sold the MacMini, so can I simply plug in my iPod into the my Hackintosh (or other Mac) and transfer it's contents to it? Or will it be wiped when I try and synch/use it with iTunes on a new Mac?

P.S Guess I should de-authorize (in ITunes) my current Mac before I sell/ship it off!
( Last edited by roders; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:55 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 09:07 AM

No, you cannot transfer the songs back via the iPod. At least not easily.

What you should do is copy the actual files to your Shuttle and then deauthorize the Mac mini. Import the files with iTunes on your Shuttle. Authorize there. Done.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2008, 09:16 AM

You're going to want to try software like iPodRip or Senuti, which can import songs from an iPod into an empty iTunes library.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the tips guys

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2008, 10:19 PM

I've transfered my entire iTunes library just by copying my entire iTunes folder (ie /home/music/iTunes/) to the other computer. If I then connect my iPod to the new computer, it syncs just as if it were syncing with the original computer. I would just boot the mini in firewire mode (holding T while booting) and then connect it to your new computer with a firewire cable. Your mini will appear as a firewire hard drive and then just copy your iTunes folder. Just make sure to deauthorize your mini before you sell it.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 12:36 AM

Is the iPod one that can be used as an external hard drive? If so, and if you have enough space on it, you can simply copy your iTunes Library on it like any other external drive and then copy it back over to the new computer.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules