Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PC Laptop Recommendations?

PC Laptop Recommendations?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2011, 07:17 PM

I'm starting to want to upgrade from my Dell e1505 to a newer PC laptop. My Dell has served me well, but it's not sleeping properly and I also want a newer laptop with at least DVI so that I can hook up a modern display when I'm using it as a desktop. There's also a family member of mine who is interested in getting a new laptop soon. I just can't justify paying the Apple premium, as much as I'd like to. Anyone have recommendations? I'm wondering if HP laptops are starting to sell at a discount because of HP's implosion. I'm not looking for premium hardware - somewhere between $500-$900 is probably the sweet spot for what I'm looking for right now. I'd also prefer dedicated graphics, but if not that I'd probably want an AMD Fusion product.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Aug 23, 2011, 03:29 AM

All I can say is that you should try to test the machine out in person a little bit before buying. The build quality can be more than a little shoddy, especially at the lower end of that scale.

AMD Fusion A6 models are selling for around $500 at fairly large sizes. I know Toshiba has a few models, but they're fairly rare still.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2011, 05:50 AM

ThinkPad.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2011, 06:43 AM

HP laptops are selling at a discount because they're... Um..... discountable. Despite Dell's ups and downs, they continue to make laptops that run well and for a while, evidenced by your still having an e1505. The current crop of Inspiron laptops is pretty darn useful in the PC laptop category, and some are quite affordable. I concur with P that you should check out the model you're interested in personally, because you might be less impressed by some of the case work, or more impressed by the keyboard, etc... A ThinkPad is a great idea, except that Lenovo is now starting to look like they're going cheap with some aspects of their builds (I've heard of case issues, for one thing), and they're more expensive than Dells.

One option I have here in San Antonio that not everyone has is a store that sells Dell refurbs direct. They are often "new" but returned for one reason or other, and the ones that are "definitely used" are quite a bargain. It's a great option for a "second laptop" purchase.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 23, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
ThinkPad.
+1 on that. The keyboards alone make them worth considering.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 03:43 PM

When reviewers say that AMD Fushion laptops are fine for ultra-portable notebooks but don't seem to offer performance up to one's expectations for a larger notebook especially in areas like multitasking, what baseline are they using for a comparison? Would a top of the line Fushion laptop with a 15" screen not perform substantially better in all respects than my 2006 Dell e1505 for a Core Duo and ATI X1300 graphics? Or are they comparing the performance of said Fushion laptop to other 15" laptops with beefier Core i hardware? What attracted me to Fushion is it's supposedly far superior GPU performance over even Sandy Bridge IGP.Are they claims I've seen about that exaggerated?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules