Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Release Date

iPad Release Date
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2010, 08:20 AM

It's March, but still no official release date from Apple.
and now reports are surfacing that the iPad could be delayed due to production problems.

I wish Apple would just come out already and tell us what's going on.
I want one and i'll wait for it, but the not knowing is killin me.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 08:35 AM

Huh?

They already told you what's going on. They said they'd start shipping towards the end of March. And as we all know that could mean any date up to March 31.

My advice is to sit back and wait until March 31. If it hasn't started shipping by then, you'll have a valid reason to complain.

And for what it's worth, expect supply to be very constrained in the beginning. We've seen this before and it's bound to happen again. Just the way things are. Nothing to get up in arms about.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 2, 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo)

ibook_steve
Mar 2, 2010, 09:21 AM

Didn't Steve say 60 days for the Wifi version and 90 days for the 3g version? The announcement was January 27, so 60 days would be late March. I don't think this is an issue...yet.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2010, 10:09 AM

Most every article I've seen about the alleged delays also quote an Apple spokeswoman as saying there is no delay:

Update, 11 a.m. PDT: An Apple spokeswoman told Wired.com on the phone that the “iPad will be available in late March.”

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 5, 2010, 12:48 PM

Now its official: Pre-orders from March 12, and delivery from April 3rd - if you live in the us, that is. For the rest of us, we still have to wait...

iPad launches on April 3rd, pre-orders begin March 12th -- Engadget

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2010, 12:52 PM

April 3rd is not the end of March! When will Steve Jobs stop with all the lies!?!1

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

Steve will be announcing that March will now be 34 days, allowing the iPad to be released when promised. We didn't even know we wanted March to be 34 days... until now. Man its gonna be awesome!

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 11:13 PM

Will Jonathan Ive design the extra 3 days? If so, then we'll certainly get something we didn't even know we needed.

ibook_steve
Mar 7, 2010, 02:14 AM

Well, you know that February is only 28 days, so take the first three days of April and add it on to February, making February a 31 day month (as naturally it should be), and you technically have it coming out at the end of March!

There's some Apple logic for ya!

Steve

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2010, 09:54 AM

If you just get the Wifiiiii version and you're not in hot spot, that means you are screwed.
I feel like everyone is going to have to get the 3G.

If you can't take this thing everywhere, why get it?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

ibook_steve
Mar 7, 2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
If you just get the Wifiiiii version and you're not in hot spot, that means you are screwed.
I feel like everyone is going to have to get the 3G.

If you can't take this thing everywhere, why get it?
For the same reason I bring my iPod Touch everywhere: so I can use the apps, and when I'm lucky enough to find a hotspot, to use wifi apps.

Steve

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 05:59 AM

IMHO hunting for that free open wifi hotspot has become really old. It used to be a bit of a game, but now it's just a drag. I'd get something like a Boingo plan if international rates were reasonable.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 8, 2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
For the same reason I bring my iPod Touch everywhere: so I can use the apps, and when I'm lucky enough to find a hotspot, to use wifi apps.
The network-reliant apps, however, add so much value to the iPhone/touch platform that I really wouldn't want to deal with not being able to use them on the road.

Of course, it helps that my iPhone contract is actually *cheaper* than what I was paying before…and that free public Wi-Fi is pretty much a no-go here, as the owner of the access point can be legally held responsible for any and all nefarious activity perpetrated via his connection.

YMMV, naturally.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Banninated Sig Spammer
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
April 3rd is not the end of March! When will Steve Jobs stop with all the lies!?!1
I agree with you when will he become a professional person which gives true commitment to his clients. The iPad will release on 3rd April but now we have to wait for the iPad accessories for around a month. I was thinking we"ll get iPad + it's accessories on the 3rd March when final announcement had been made. But hoe can anyone expect honesty and unhidden fact from Steve??
Apple always said the accessories wouldn't be available until April.

Quote added for context, since I banninated the crap out of the sig spammer. Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:14 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules