Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Getting a new PS4 game - which to buy?

Getting a new PS4 game - which to buy?
HamSandwich
Mar 20, 2016, 09:53 AM

Hey,

I'm looking into buying a new PS4 game. Look, I want something really recent, not something from the beginning of PS4. Any cool games?

I didn't like Assassin's Creed as I just didn't get going, after lots of gaming I was at only 10%, so I sold this again. I liked GTA V and Destiny and I am playing Need for Speed at the moment.

What's the current highlight? What would you personally recommend? Can we discuss a little?

Greetings,
PeterParker

P
Mar 20, 2016, 06:14 PM

Last year's Game of the Year was Fallout 4 on most lists. Ever played Fallout?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

HamSandwich
Mar 21, 2016, 08:49 AM

Yes, Fallout... I know. I can read about it for a while. I thought that Fallout was not so great. Should I really get it? I didn't ever play it. I noticed it, though. Anything else? What's hip, what's cool?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2016, 03:45 PM

If you liked Destiny the new hotness would be Tom Clancy's: The Division.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 06:41 PM

Sek is correct. Half of my friends list is filled with people playing The Division. (That's OK, I'll just wait for them to return when Bungie releases the April update of Destiny.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

HamSandwich
Mar 22, 2016, 06:54 AM

Is The Division a bit like The Last of Us? That was a good game, I thought, I liked that pretty much, did leave an impression, it did...

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2016, 07:47 AM

I'd recommend "Batman: Arkham Knight" and/or "Far Cry 4", or is that already too old for you?

I recently bought "Beyond: Two Souls" for PS4 because I never played it on the PS3 and it didn't feel like an old game!
Unfortunately the Playstation Store now doesn't allow me to buy "Heavy Rain" because I already bought "Beyond"!!
#PSStoreBug

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2016, 08:59 AM

Witcher 3

Awesome, open world. Lots to do. Has expansion (Hearts of Stone) with a new expansion coming soon (Of Blood and Wine).

Cool little mini card game (Gwent) that you can collect/buy cards for in game.

I'm on my NG+ playthrough on hardest difficulty for trophy and it's a blast even the second time through.

P
Mar 22, 2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Is The Division a bit like The Last of Us? That was a good game, I thought, I liked that pretty much, did leave an impression, it did...
No. Really not. Brothers:A Tale of Two Sons might be worth a look, but it isn't AAA by any means.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
I don't have the game myself but from watching some footage on Twitch, the Division looks similar to Gears of War in game play.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

HamSandwich
Mar 24, 2016, 04:36 PM

I looked around and I liked Far Cry for PS 4. The graphics seem to be very recent. That's one of the weird things about Fallout 4, that it just doesn't seem to look like a very new game, but somewhat from yesterday. How about anything else? I found out there is a new part of Metal Gear Solid, V, which seems to be pretty cool. Many people mention Fallout - and The Witcher 3, which seems to have been a small hit on the PS 4. Other than that? I found a few new games were released soon and notes are already out, but I want something I can buy immediately, without thinking too hard. Gears of War is not a new PS 4 title, I don't know that...

I like the idea of getting Beyond: Two Souls, actually. I just fear it's too much of an interactive movie, not really a great game to play through. I think the idea of having 23 endings is great, too. But is that really good, does this work? It's not just a game you move through, enjoying the story without really being so nice to play. I dunno...

Is Batman worth a look? I have a superhero faible. I know some older superhero games, though, like the Spiderman games - and they were no good. They were easy and forseeable and not very original. Just a game for a movie, without thinking so much of building an original game - although it's an entirely different platform.

I also looked for a normal racing game for two players (two on the same TV screen) and NFS doesn't work like this these days, any other games? Even if it was water racing, no problem, but it doesn't seem to exist on PS 4, there is only NFS. Or ist there Gran Turismo, is that any good?

I might go with FarCry 4, that's my current state. I'm going to look around more this time, and read a while, but FarCry 4 seems to have great graphics on PS 4, looking really cool and beautiful and I'm all curious about this. The game seems to be really nice, offering some fun and some new ideas, so...

Anything else?
Greetings and thanks,
PeterParker

P
Mar 24, 2016, 07:03 PM

Latest Far Cry is called Primal, but IMO they all play the same way. I think 4 got pretty decent reviews.

I think the Batman games are good, but the last (Arkham Knight) had the worst launch of any game in recent memory. Shadows of Mordor plays essentially the same, take a look at that.

ibook_steve
Mar 28, 2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Latest Far Cry is called Primal, but IMO they all play the same way. I think 4 got pretty decent reviews.

I think the Batman games are good, but the last (Arkham Knight) had the worst launch of any game in recent memory. Shadows of Mordor plays essentially the same, take a look at that.
The poor launch for Arkham Knight was on PC, not PS4 where it's worked perfectly from day 1. +1 for Arkham Knight for me. I bought my PS4 last year with Arkham Knight and was very happy with it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules