Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Startup disc/new drive question...

Startup disc/new drive question...
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2010, 10:52 PM

I have an early '09 MacPro eight core running 10.5.8. I have three drives occupying three bays. One of my drives just died so I bought a new 500GB WD to match the other two WD (one is 500GB, the original startup is 300GB).

My thought is to put the new drive in bay three and start from scratch and install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on it. I'll add Pro Tools and my other apps and drag over only essential files.

I should be able to select which drive I want to boot from by selecting Startup disc from the system preferences correct? Or will having two different drives with two different OS's but possibly the same files and apps conflict somehow?

If everything runs smoothly on the new SL drive I will eventually wipe the original startup drive and use it for a media drive. Sound Logical?
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2010, 01:52 AM

Macs are very adept at having multiple OSs installed. I have computers with more than 5 versions of MacOS installed simultaneously (and this is one on HD).

Forum Links
Forum Rules