Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, Tropical Stormy Enough For You?

So, Tropical Stormy Enough For You? (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2017, 11:51 AM

I have an acquaintance who lives in Key West and has clinical-grade agoraphobia.

He's ignored evacuation warnings before (and hid from emergency teams trying to evacuate stragglers). I'm a little worried about this one.

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2017, 11:56 AM

key west did not fare well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2017, 11:57 AM

Exactly.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2017, 11:32 AM

45/47

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2017, 08:51 PM

Puerto Rico is in real trouble. People I know aren't able to contact any of their family since this hit. There seems to be very little coverage of PR. All the racist fake news wants to fill our ears with is Russia hacking again as if it's somehow still a surprise foreign nations hack us everyday. If it were Florida that suffered so much damage we'd be hearing about it 24/7. No phones, no electricity for 6 months, no refrigeration... I cant imagine. My house is open to refugees but I haven't heard of anything being organized. Usually we'd hear about this locally right from the start.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2017, 11:35 PM

Racist?

Like, against borscht?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2017, 02:33 AM

It's not surprising. CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, et al, don't care about anything other than trying to dig up Russian dirt on Trump. I've seen very little on Puerto Rico in the news, despite them being a US territory (you'd never know it, going by our generally craptastic news sources), and a case can certainly be made that it's for no other reason than sheer apathy.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Sep 23, 2017, 09:12 AM

I have heard about PR, its been front page news, and the lack of power, and the death toll. I've also heard about the mexican earthquakes, the recent one has over 200 deaths.

front page news:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...R9J/story.html
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 23, 2017 at 09:24 AM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2017, 11:50 AM

There has been minimal coverage on the earthquake, even on the day it happened. We had to watch our local Univision station for continuous coverage.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Sep 23, 2017, 03:41 PM

Puerto Rico is one referendum away from becoming the 51st state. They should be getting more attention, and more help.

My usual news hangouts are tech-related and international news sites. But even when I check the Washington Post just now: Top billing to Trump fighting with athletes. There are four references to PR, all well down the page.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2017, 04:40 AM

I'm going to hazard a guess there are some logistical reasons PR isn't getting the PR. There's not a wide pipe going in and out right now, and I'm guessing news is low priority.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2017, 12:20 PM

If they become the 50th state, where are we going to put that extra star on the flag?

[EDIT] Nevermind...doesn't look bad...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2017, 03:33 PM

It will replace Ecotopia, AKA Calfofonia.
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Sep 26, 2017, 10:43 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:52 AM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Puerto Rico is one referendum away from becoming the 51st state. They should be getting more attention, and more help.

My usual news hangouts are tech-related and international news sites. But even when I check the Washington Post just now: Top billing to Trump fighting with athletes. There are four references to PR, all well down the page.
Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
There's been talk about PR as the 51st state for 20 years. It hasn't happened, and there's no need for it. Heck, there was talk 10 years ago about Canada being the 51st state. Didn't happen, and not about to happen.
PR had a non binding referendum in June. It favored statehood. That has to go through Congress.

There have been threats by the Maritime provinces to apply for statehood if Quebec voted for independence.
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Sep 26, 2017, 12:55 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:52 AM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 02:04 PM

Back to topic.
https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/
In summary, neither our model projections for the 21st century nor our analyses of trends in Atlantic hurricane and tropical storm counts over the past 120+ yr support the notion that greenhouse gas-induced warming leads to large increases in either tropical storm or overall hurricane numbers in the Atlantic. One modeling study projects a large (~100%) increase in Atlantic category 4-5 hurricanes over the 21st century, but we estimate that this increase may not be detectable until the latter half of the century.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
PR had a non binding referendum in June. It favored statehood. That has to go through Congress.
I wasn't aware it had been held finally. And the non-statehood parties boycotted the vote again.

Umm ... opinion polls beforehand showed 52% favor statehood. And while the other parties claim reasons for their boycott, I expect they actually did it because it was the only way to avoid losing. Lose the vote, PR becomes the 51st. Keep it ambiguous, and Congress may hold off. It worked in 2012.

Congress should act. Statehood has won twice now, and even the opposition thinks it would win an honest vote. Statehood would help immensely with hurricane relief, and give PR leverage in their debt negotiations.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2017, 02:42 PM

In my opinion a bare majority isn't enough to justify doing something as irrevocable as becoming a state.

Edit: Mods feel free to move this discussion into its own separate thread as to not over shadow those concerned about the current crisis in PR

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2017, 02:58 PM

^^ I agree with your edit.

It isn't just a majority. Statehood won by 61% in the 2012 vote, and 97% in 2017. If the non-voters wanted to express a different position, they had every chance to vote. We shouldn't have to use our psychic powers to suss out how they would have voted if they deigned to do so.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2017, 03:07 PM

60% is enough for me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 26, 2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Based on your prior dismissals of AGW I'll need a little context from you here. Are you acknowledging that the science points to AGW causing an increase in tropical storm activity over the next 80 years?

Or are you trying to highlight science that claims the current levels of AGW haven't been enough to affect tropical storm activity? If that's the case, why is this science worth pointing out? Why aren't we ignoring it because it's based on flawed, selective, counterfeit, fake data? Do we only acknowledge science if it provides the answers we want to hear?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2017, 04:40 PM

DNCNN, MSDNC, and other networks have been attributing the recent hurricanes to AGW, even after NOAA said otherwise.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 27, 2017, 10:16 AM

Okay, but like I asked, what's your takeaway - do you believe that AGW will be responsible for a 2-11% increase in hurricane activity like the link you posted suggested?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
60% is enough for me.
We left the Eu on a much slimmer majority. Yay referendums!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
We left the Eu on a much slimmer majority. Yay referendums!
I know. It's incredibly stupid. State constitutional amendment run on the same lunacy here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 12:15 PM

Seeing some of the reports I can't help but feel we're headed towards a Kanye moment on PR.

I also can't figure out if the Jones Act thing. If it's a big help and even if it isn't why they denied a waivers

P
Sep 27, 2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
^^ I agree with your edit.

It isn't just a majority. Statehood won by 61% in the 2012 vote, and 97% in 2017. If the non-voters wanted to express a different position, they had every chance to vote. We shouldn't have to use our psychic powers to suss out how they would have voted if they deigned to do so.
97% voted for statehood. The other 3% voted for independence, because the option of just leaving this as they are was not on the ballot. Participation was 27%. That is not a valid vote, in my opinion.

In 2012, there was a two-level vote: leave everything as it is, or change the status. In that vote, 54% said to change the status, and 61% said that if anything were to change, they wanted to become a state. That is better, but still weird, because they tried to rope in everyone who wanted some sort of change to its association with the first question.

PR has voted three times before this one whether to become a state, and the votes have ended inconclusively (very close to 50-50). The backers of statehood tried to force the issue with the wording on the fourth ballot, and this fifth one seems like a joke.

Personally I'd like to understand why about half of PR want to remain a territory. It seems like a bad deal to me, but likely they know something I don't.

EDIT: it turns out that the question in the 2017 referendum was changed at the last minute to add the option of remaining a territory, but the parties that had called for a boycott did not reverse their stance. I still think it was a silly vote if you didn't want to give people the option to vote for no change.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2017, 02:09 PM

When swedes school Americans at the politics of their own territory

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Personally I'd like to understand why about half of PR want to remain a territory. It seems like a bad deal to me, but likely they know something I don't.
Uneducated guess... they like not paying federal income tax.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Uneducated guess... they like not paying federal income tax.
In that case, is there any chance Louisiana can become a territory?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2017, 02:58 PM

How long can you tread water?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 03:04 PM

As long as an egg floating in a pot of gumbo.

Which is to say, until we're eaten by whatever happens to be nearby.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2017, 04:29 PM

Is there anything there that eats you other than alligators and maybe snakes accidentally?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 04:35 PM

Giant Catfish?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is there anything there that eats you other than alligators and maybe snakes accidentally?
We have alligators, panthers, snakes, and wild pigs that could seriously injure someone.

The only real fear would be alligators, I suppose, but we had a six or seven-foot alligator walk across the road in front of the church where I work just three weeks ago. He was headed to the Mexican restaurant (not a joke).

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Giant Catfish?
Maybe if the giant gar rumors are true.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2017, 07:39 PM

What about the odd extremist Voodoo practitioner?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Sep 28, 2017, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
When swedes school Americans at the politics of their own territory
Heh, sorry about that. Ended up in a Internet rabbit hole again, while stuck in a hotel with the wifi too poor for Netflix. I think I was trying to understand the independence movement in Catalonia at the time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2017, 09:29 AM

Nothing to apologize for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think I was trying to understand the independence movement in Catalonia at the time.
It's really strange to see people who see each other as rebels and oppressors in such a modern country.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
What about the odd extremist Voodoo practitioner?
You jest, but I've met a few in the French Quarter.

Aaaaand I'm pretty sure they're all just actors at this point.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's really strange to see people who see each other as rebels and oppressors in such a modern country.
Is it really?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2017, 02:27 PM

So, the cheat code for getting press after a natural disaster is to get in a slapfight with the president.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2017, 12:07 AM

I just want to know how the mayor got hold of those mass-produced protest shirts during such a huge disaster.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Oct 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2017, 12:08 AM

China.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2017, 11:08 AM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2017, 11:58 AM

Mayor complains about the lack of response, in front of pallets of response.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2017, 12:03 PM

My understanding is they have plenty of stuff, but not the means to distribute it.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 2, 2017, 12:35 PM

That's my impression too. The ships are arriving. But PR has lots of roads washed out or blocked with trees. With power and communications down to a majority of the island. They need helicopters and/or monster trucks, and probably more chain saws. If they don't get it, people are going to start dying from drinking unsanitary water and/or starving. The stray cat population will vanish, etc.

Definitely need to borrow some road repair crews for a few months.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2017, 12:54 PM

I remember when Katrina happened, Millennium suggested we need some type of hovercraft designed specifically for this situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules