Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > File System Question

File System Question
tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 11:44 PM

There may very well not be an easy answer to what I want, but I was hoping some people here might be able to give me some pointers. My internal hard drive on my MacBook Pro is partitioned into two volumes, one HFS+for OS X, and the other NTFS for WIndows Vista. I use OS X for almost all of my day-to-day work, but I boot into Vista for two reasons: gaming and streaming media to my Xbox 360.

Of course, an internal hard drive, especially one that's partitioned, is hardly useful for storing a media library. So I invested in a 500 GB WD MyBook, which, so far, has worked wonderfully. It was formatted FAT32 out of the box, though, which has an architectural 4 GB file size limit.

Obviously, I would prefer a file system that was readable and writable by both OSes, but, of course, if such a system existed that supported files >4 GB, then it would be the "default" formatting state.

So I was wondering, is there is any file system that is read/write enabled for OS X and at least readable for Windows without the file size limit? That way, I could handle most of the legwork of organizing the files OS X-side, then have Windows just pull the data off as needed.

All of my research has landed me without a solid answer, so I'm assuming the worst.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 12:05 AM

Macfuse + NTFS-3G (both free) adds NTFS read/write support to OSX.

MacDrive/MacOpener/about a half dozen other products (all payware) add HFS+ read/write support to Windows.

Why not just use Connect360 for your Xbox in OSX?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:07 AM

I hadn't heard of it before, but you may want to check this out: macfuse - Google Code

edit: mduell beat me to it. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:07 AM

[...]

tmelcher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Macfuse + NTFS-3G (both free) adds NTFS read/write support to OSX.

MacDrive/MacOpener/about a half dozen other products (all payware) add HFS+ read/write support to Windows.

Why not just use Connect360 for your Xbox in OSX?
Thanks for the tip about the NTFS program.

As for Connect360, I hadn't realized that it had updated to support .mp4 and .mov. Still no .avi support, though, but fortunately most of my library is my own rips done in H.264 through Handbrake.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

Forum Links
Forum Rules