Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Almost cooked my MBP

Almost cooked my MBP
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 12:39 PM

So I was on vacation this past week in New Hampshire, this morning I started packing for the trip home and I put my MBP to sleep by closing the cover like a thousand other times and put it in my carrying case.

About an hour later I decided to check on some things on the net before I head on out and I noticed the little light was and not glowing. I picked up the MBP and man it was HOT. After forcing it off and then on the temp was around 85c. I think I got to it before it was too late, the fans were not going either. First time that has happened and I usually wait till I see the glowing light before I put it in the carrying case. I'll have to be double careful next time.

I've had PCs spontaniously wakeup from sleep or fail to fully go to sleep which is why I typically make sure the machine is sleeping before putting it its carrying case.

Whew I dodged a bullet this time.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2007, 03:20 PM

mine is having the random wakeup by itself thing going on as well. the thing that helps me out is to put the wake up from sleep or screensaver password on and after a few seconds of not putting in my password, it goes back to sleep and then comes back on another time then sleeps again, then no more wake up. might help you out?

Alex

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks,

This was the first time it occurred on me. I'm very relieved that I decided to check some things out on the net before heading home.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 04:31 PM

"almost cooked your MBP"?
"really dodged the bullet"?
Holy exaggeration batman... there's no overheating danger to your MBP or any other modern laptop. They'll throttle and even shutdown to keep the temperatures within the hardware limitations.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 04:41 PM

Sorry mduell but those statements are not exaggerations. The puppy was cooking away with no fans on. If the fans failed to start up how can I be sure the cpu would shut down.

If you disagree fine, but I'm not about to bet my very expensive laptop would shut down at 100c because mduell said so. Besides, at 100c who knows what other components would fail or their lives shortened dramatically because of the high heat.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Sep 29, 2007 at 06:48 PM. )

JimWG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
mine is having the random wakeup by itself thing going on as well. the thing that helps me out is to put the wake up from sleep or screensaver password on and after a few seconds of not putting in my password, it goes back to sleep and then comes back on another time then sleeps again, then no more wake up. might help you out?

Alex
This is happening to my G3 900mHz iBook, since around my update to 10.4.10 I think. Even closed and supposedly fully asleep, once every 50 minutes or so I hear the CD drive thunk and the snoring light stops pulsating and after 30 seconds the snore light goes on for another period. Happily far far too short a time to generate any heat while closed, but it is disturbing. I'm beginining to suspect the update.

James Greenidge

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Sorry mduell but those statements are not exaggerations. The puppy was cooking away with no fans on. If the fans failed to start up how can I be sure the cpu would shut down.

If you disagree fine, but I'm not about to bet my very expensive laptop would shut down at 100c because mduell said so. Besides, at 100c who knows what other components would fail or their lives shortened dramatically because of the high heat.
If it fried itself instead of shutting down, you have defective hardware covered under warranty.

It's not just mduell saying so, it's Intel saying so.

hemant
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2007, 07:38 PM

I had mine do the same thing. Apple had to replace the top casing and the problem went away.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If it fried itself instead of shutting down, you have defective hardware covered under warranty.

It's not just mduell saying so, it's Intel saying so.
I'm aware of the the CPUs shutting down at 100c, I'm just not willing to take a chance if the computer is in some weird quasi locked state. Also have I've stated while the cpus may shut down there's no telling what those high temps would do to the other components.

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 08:41 AM

Exactly. Better turn it off and be safe rather than risk the computer kicking in it's own safety measures. Surely any computer at temperatures like that can't do to well with it's parts. Glad everything worked out

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 09:41 AM

I'm aware of the the CPUs shutting down at 100c, I'm just not willing to take a chance if the computer is in some weird quasi locked state. Also have I've stated while the cpus may shut down there's no telling what those high temps would do to the other components.
That 'weird quasi locked state' is how your MBP was keeping itself cool. Please read the documents I linked to about Intel's thermal management. It's not like the rest of the components (except perhaps the GPU, which has similar tolerances to the CPU) were nearly as hot. The hard drives would shut themselves down passing 60C and are good for higher temperatures when not operating. The rest is pretty much solid state components or not heat generating (optical drive).
I really don't see anything you had to worry about, except the nasty surprise of a dead battery if it had been on for a few hours.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 09:48 AM

That's a weird way to keep it cool. That baby was cooking away and the temps were only going up not down. with no fans running it was only getting hotter.

I don't need to read the documents I was experiencing the problem and it was way too hot.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2007, 12:14 PM

That's a weird way to keep it cool. That baby was cooking away and the temps were only going up not down. with no fans running it was only getting hotter.
And you know this how? Did you place a temperature monitor, and leave it in the bag to see if the temperature was still climbing? A laptop with fans blocked, in a laptop case, would hit 85C within minutes, you said it was about an hour after you placed the laptop in the case. Most likely, the processors had been throttling themselves down for much of that hour so as not to exceed whatever the cutoff limit was (and thus keeping the temperature at a very survivable 85c). Had the processor throttling not been enough, your laptop wouldn't have been on when you took it out of the case- it would have shut itself down. mduell is right here- the temperature protection systems kicked in, throttled down your proc, and kept your laptop within a safe range. Isn't technology great?

I don't need to read the documents I was experiencing the problem and it was way too hot.
I guess you're right. Your hunch, vs. thousands (millions?) of man-hours of research and development by Intel. I guess I'll go with your hunch...

You are correct in that your laptop should have gone to sleep properly. That being said, because it didn't, the hardware protected itself as it was designed to. Nothing to be "OMG!!!111!! I almost lost my laptop" dramatic about. Figure out why your laptop didn't go to sleep in the first place, fix that problem, and move on.

Thraxes
Oct 2, 2007, 09:28 PM

Weird, had a similar occurence just 2 weeks ago. Also checked one hour after putting my rev A MBP in its bag and had a baking Laptop on my hands.

Had to completely turn off the machine (as in taking out the battery) and upon restart 10 minutes later had to reinstall Fan Control (helps keep the Temps at bay).

I think it was Parallels that went beserk, it was acting strangely and not respoding on my first try which led me to just take out the battery. I was running my KUbuntu Linux development environment at the time.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

newsushi
Oct 2, 2007, 10:26 PM

I baked my Powerbook on a stone deck at 487*F for 25 minutes with 20 seconds of steam, just like the perfect artisan french baguette.

voila!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 10:20 PM

hey all, there is a battery firmware update for us mbp users. could help us out. btw, since doing the update my mbp has been running in the mid 130f -145f under moderate use when before it would stay around 150f idle

alex

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 04:32 AM

Hmm... I'm running around 60 C on my processor surfing... and another 60 C on my GPU... even with my laptop on a stand...

I should install that update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules