Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help with launchd and flexget

help with launchd and flexget
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2011, 01:38 PM

flexget is a commandline RSS downloader and I am trying to get it to run at an interval.

I went through the instructions of how to install here from this site: InstallWizard/OSX – FlexGet

the binary is called "flexget" and located in /usr/local/bin/

I want to use launchd to execute flexget every 10minutes. normally, I can go into terminal and just type "flexget" and it will run successfully. however, the instructions on the site have me creating a plist in my LaunchAgents folder called com.flexget.plist which points to /usr/local/bin/flexget.py --cron

is this right? the file that is located in /usr/local/bin/ is simply called flexget with no extension, so do I need to take out that .py?

I am pretty sure, using Lingon, that I have setup the plist in LaunchAgents correctly to RunAtLoad and to run every 600seconds, I am just not super sure it is pointing to the correct binary. right now com.flexget.plist in LaunchAgents looks like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Label</key> <string>com.flexget</string> <key>LowPriorityIO</key> <true/> <key>Nice</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>ProgramArguments</key> <array> <string>/usr/local/bin/flexget</string> <string>--cron</string> </array> <key>RunAtLoad</key> <true/> <key>StartInterval</key> <integer>600</integer> </dict> </plist>
so, to sum this up and reiterate what I am asking for:

I know that when in terminal, all I have to do is type "flexget" and it will run and parse the RSS feed correctly. I want to run that every 10minutes, so I created that com.flexget.plist in LaunchAgents. is it pointing to the right binary? another way of asking this: when I type flexget in terminal, is it executing the binary in /usr/local/bin/ ?

also, with RunAtLoad, it will execute after every restart and I won't have to worry about typing a command or whatever to get it going after a reboot or logout?

And one more thing: how can I check to see/make sure it is successfully running every 10minutes? it does not seem to have any logs in Console...

Forum Links
Forum Rules