Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 10)
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Indeed.

Also using lottery funding to directly fund education? Seems to me this engenders the idea that funding on education is in some way second class, non critical funding. Health and education funding should come from core funding sources. Maybe arts and other funding is more usefully funded by lottery money.

Well said.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:43 PM

Doc I'd like to add:

Especially when that money is coming from low-income school-kids parents anyways, with the government taking their 40% off the top.

It's like funding housing with gambling proceeds but only for those who are homeless because of gambling.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2017, 08:16 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2017, 10:32 PM

Trumps America?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2017, 12:23 AM

Feels bad, man.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2017, 06:21 AM

Normies are confused.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2017, 05:44 PM

Speaking of normies. The "okay" gesture is apparently now a White Power gang sign.

I have to admit, I saw this troll brewing on /pol/ but I didn't think the MSM would fall for this type of thing again. I guess there's no limit to the amount of times they can be humiliated. Pitiful.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2017, 08:53 PM

Now that it turns out it's a thing, I feel it's a bit in the "ha ha, joke's on you... I'm only pretending to be a white supremacist" vein.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 11:27 AM

Is it a thing, really? Next, the nazi's will co-opt the thumbs up gesture.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Is it a thing, really? Next, the nazi's will co-opt the thumbs up gesture.
It's a thing in the sense there appears to have been a concerted effort from /pol/ on 4chan to make it seem like a thing.

They named it Operation: O-KKK, which I'll admit, got a chuckle out of me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2017, 12:07 PM

I'm not entirely clear on this but the argument is they pulled one over on everyone when some altrighters made a concerted effort to use a hand sign to convince everyone they use the hand sign?

Isn't this like having sex with a guy to trick people into thinking you're gay?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 1, 2017, 12:18 PM

������������������

subego
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not entirely clear on this but the argument is they pulled one over on everyone when some altrighters made a concerted effort to use a hand sign to convince everyone they use the hand sign?

Isn't this like having sex with a guy to trick people into thinking you're gay?
Or as I said, a variation on the "I'm only pretending to be retarded" comic.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 12:35 PM

It's ridiculous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2017, 01:34 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2017, 02:43 PM

Word is Shine out at Fox News, which was overdue. Those Murdoch boys really cleaning house.

P
May 1, 2017, 03:39 PM

It appears that Hamas is all but officially recognizing Israel. They have accepted the -67 borders and no longer say that Israel should be destroyed. They will keep resisting Israel within the occupied territories, but claim that they will stay out of Israel proper.

This may not sound like much, but it is a huge step forward. It leaves a staring point to negotiate from. It would have been a lot nicer if it had happened with other people in charge in Washington and Tel Aviv, but hey, baby steps.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2017, 03:52 PM

Interesting. Sounds momentous.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 1, 2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It appears that Hamas is all but officially recognizing Israel. They have accepted the -67 borders and no longer say that Israel should be destroyed. They will keep resisting Israel within the occupied territories, but claim that they will stay out of Israel proper.
Good!

This may not sound like much, but it is a huge step forward. It leaves a staring point to negotiate from.
Agreed!

It would have been a lot nicer if it had happened with other people in charge in Washington and Tel Aviv, but hey, baby steps.
Well if those other people could win an election against donald trump you might have gotten your wish. They failed, as did their policies before them. What I am concerned with is why you vie success as a bad thing when it doesn't fit into your preferred ideology. In this case, am I finally seeing a leftist argue that the ends don't justify the means?

P
May 1, 2017, 11:39 PM

It isn't success in itself, and it is certainly not a bad thing. Success would be peace, and this is merely an indication that peace is now an option. We still won't get there with Netanyahu at the helm in Israel, but this opening means that peace might be an option somewhere down the line.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2017, 09:35 AM

Just realized Kellyann Conway fell off the face of the earth

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 04:13 PM

45/47

andi*pandi
May 2, 2017, 04:30 PM

homophobic? crude, most definitely.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 2, 2017, 04:38 PM

Is this the part where I'm supposed to ignore the article and instead complain about the horrible site you're getting your fake news from?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 04:46 PM

In his own (bleeped out) words.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
homophobic? crude, most definitely.
Substitute Dennis Miller for Stephan Colbert and Obama for Trump. There would be calls for his head on a silver platterâ„¢
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Is this the part where I'm supposed to ignore the article and instead complain about the horrible site you're getting your fake news from?

It was the link provide by "The King of Fake Newsâ„¢" Drudge Report.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2017, 04:56 PM

You always seem to respond to the accusations of biased articles with sarcasm almost bordering on self-awareness, but your continued use of those awful, heavily-biased news sources seems to discount your ability to figure out what's trustworthy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2017, 04:57 PM

Just skimmed on the subject. Sounds over the line to me, though not really homophobic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2017, 05:00 PM

Here's a fun challenge - Chongo, can you point out any other time you've been concerned about homophobia? It seems like you're taking up the cause simply because you don't like Colbert or you do like Trump. I haven't known you as one to jump to the defense of the LGBTQ community.

Or word policing.

Or hurt feelings.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 05:35 PM

Here's a fun challenge - Chongo, can you point out any other time you've been concerned about homophobia? It seems like you're taking up the cause simply because you don't like Colbert or you do like Trump. I haven't known you as one to jump to the defense of the LGBTQ community.

Or word policing.

Or hurt feelings.
I have not watched his, or any "late show" since Carson retired.
This is not about me being concerned about "X, Y, or Z", but being surprised CBS chose to air this monologue. Remember, his, and the other "late night shows" are actually recorded in the afternoon, giving them plenty of time to choose not to air his monologue.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2017, 07:14 PM

Just skimmed on the subject. Sounds over the line to me, though not really homophobic.
It's using being gay as a slur.

/SJW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It's using being gay as a slur.

/SJW
A holster seems non sexual to me. But I'll certainly listen to how the gay community perceives it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2017, 08:15 PM

Or as I said, a variation on the "I'm only pretending to be retarded" comic.
"We see people using the "a-ok" gesture, let's try to convince the media it's a new white supremacist hand signal, just for giggles." And of course, it worked... again. Geez.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post

Its not homophobic. Colbert isn't a homophobe for a start. You might see it as homophobic because for you being accused of participating in a homosexual act would be insulting because you are homophobic.
Its not insulting because its a homophobic act, though since we know Putin is a homophobe it would likely insult him, and I would wager it will probably insult Trump for the same reason, but the real insult is Trump's subordinacy to Putin. Therefore, not homophobic.

I'm pretty sure a few people said much worse about Obama without getting fired. No-one as high profile maybe, but of course Obama was a class act and most of the shit said about him was untrue so no-one took it very seriously.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2017, 02:55 AM

A holster seems non sexual to me.
Wat?

It's not just a holster.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2017, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its not homophobic. Colbert isn't a homophobe for a start. You might see it as homophobic because for you being accused of participating in a homosexual act would be insulting because you are homophobic.
Its not insulting because its a homophobic act, though since we know Putin is a homophobe it would likely insult him, and I would wager it will probably insult Trump for the same reason, but the real insult is Trump's subordinacy to Putin. Therefore, not homophobic.
Colbert isn't homophobic.

Insulting someone's subordinance by implying they're gay is using homosexuality as a slur. There's no really getting around that.

There's a reason the forum won't let me type **********.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2017, 10:51 AM

Its not homophobic. Colbert isn't a homophobe for a start.
I'm not a racist, but if I use the n-word to insult someone, it doesn't make the word any less racist.

You might see it as homophobic because for you being accused of participating in a homosexual act would be insulting because you are homophobic.
Take another step back.

It's clear that Colbert wanted to insult Trump.

Colbert chose to use a homosexual act to insult Trump.

It may not be "homophobic" in that Colbert is afraid of or looks down on gay people, but the use of the term certainly does nothing to advance the equal treatment of the LGBTQ community.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2017, 11:10 AM

I'm pretty sure a few people said much worse about Obama without getting fired. No-one as high profile maybe, but of course Obama was a class act and most of the shit said about him was untrue so no-one took it very seriously.
None of that makes any damned sense, by their own lexicon it's homophobic. Oh, and "other people have said worse", isn't a defense.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
None of that makes any damned sense, by their own lexicon it's homophobic. Oh, and "other people have said worse", isn't a defense.
It wasn't a defence genius, someone else claimed that if someone had said similar about Obama there would be uproar, heads rolling, horses eating each other, etc..
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2017, 05:47 PM

Colbert isn't homophobic.

Insulting someone's subordinance by implying they're gay is using homosexuality as a slur. There's no really getting around that.

There's a reason the forum won't let me type **********.
If a woman was referred to as being someone's ****holster would that be a heterosexual slur? I really don't think so. The only reason homosexuality is involved is because both the individuals in question are men. Its just mechanically appropriate.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2017, 06:02 PM

I'm not a racist, but if I use the n-word to insult someone, it doesn't make the word any less racist.
Thats not even vaguely appropriate as an analogy. The n-word is always a slur and any time you use it to refer to someone you are by definition using a racist slur and being racist. ****holster could just as easily be a crude slang term for vagina, as if we needed a new one. Maybe its actually a sexist term and he's calling Trump a girl?

Take another step back.

It's clear that Colbert wanted to insult Trump.

Colbert chose to use a homosexual act to insult Trump.

He chose a sexual act to imply the dominance of one over another. A sexual act between two men is homosexual by definition. The fact that both Trump and Putin are likely to take extra offence due to the homosexual element is just an added bonus.

It may not be "homophobic" in that Colbert is afraid of or looks down on gay people, but the use of the term certainly does nothing to advance the equal treatment of the LGBTQ community.
Or does it? Perhaps its a matter of perspective. It very clearly works without needing to be a homophobic slur so perhaps its helping to normalise references to gay sex?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that conservatives/Trump fans/Republicans are more likely to call this homophobic than gay people are. Or at least that the majority of gay people won't mind very much under the circumstances.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2017, 10:40 PM

It wasn't a defence genius
YES IT IS. That's what has been shoveled since Colbert said it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
YES IT IS. That's what has been shoveled since Colbert said it.
Not by me.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2017, 09:25 AM

Not by me.
Such BS.

I'm pretty sure a few people said much worse about Obama without getting fired.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2017, 02:46 PM

Thats not even vaguely appropriate as an analogy. The n-word is always a slur and any time you use it to refer to someone you are by definition using a racist slur and being racist. ****holster could just as easily be a crude slang term for vagina, as if we needed a new one. Maybe its actually a sexist term and he's calling Trump a girl?
Remember, he was talking about Trump's mouth.

He chose a sexual act to imply the dominance of one over another. A sexual act between two men is homosexual by definition. The fact that both Trump and Putin are likely to take extra offence due to the homosexual element is just an added bonus.
I started typing this before but deleted it. The insult has two parts.

1. Implied homosexuality.
2. Implied value.

The terms

imply that a person has no value other than as a receptacle. It doesn't need the homosexual connotations to be insulting, as you've pointed out. I wouldn't call the homosexual implication a bonus, though. If I were to call a white supremacist the n-word, it's not a bonus that they'd be extra offended by it, it reinforces the power the word has by using it in a negative manner and affirms that to be an n-word is to be a bad person.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that conservatives/Trump fans/Republicans are more likely to call this homophobic than gay people are. Or at least that the majority of gay people won't mind very much under the circumstances.
Yes, and people that hate Trump (gay or not) are more likely to give Colbert a pass on this. That doesn't make it okay. It boils down to two options:

1. Don't be an asshole.
- or -
2. It's perfectly okay to be an asshole if the other person is a big meanie head.

You're advocating for #2.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2017, 06:11 PM

I still don't see anything that necessitates the homosexual part as being an insult other than how we know Putin and likely Trump will take it. And thats on them.

Essentially Colbert is saying that Trump letting Putin take advantage of him. Its just a colourful way of saying it. If one of them were a girl, then there would be no homosexual aspect to the implication. Which is that Trump is allowing himself to get ****ed. Men and women have been doing that in every combination since time immemorial.

I'm afraid it might be you lot seeing the homosexual inference as insulting who are guilty of being homophobic in this case.

As for giving Colbert a pass, sure. I admit that freely and frankly I would give anyone a pass for insulting Trump in public with a big audience. Or in private on their own for that matter. The man has no redeeming features that I can find. The very sight of him disgusts me.

Anyway, luckily for Colbert, he lives in a country where he can say whatever the hell he wants. Since Trump has decided that option 1 above is not for him at any point in his life, everyone else can option 2 in his direction until the cows come home. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2017, 01:11 AM

Nope, it's on Colbert for saying, "Trump's so terrible that he sucks another man's dick". If you can't see how that's offensive to gay men, well, that's on you.

As for "saying whatever he wants", while it's true the gov't can't come after him for it, his network can drop him like a bad habit. What's good for Milo, a private company de-platforming him for being an ass, is good for Colbert. Just because you love the guy, despite the homophobic slur, changes nothing (except perhaps proving that you're less of a person for it).
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; May 5, 2017 at 01:12 PM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 5, 2017, 02:40 AM

I still don't see anything that necessitates the homosexual part as being an insult other than how we know Putin and likely Trump will take it. And thats on them.
Yes, because every time someone calls a gay person a faggot, it's on the gay person for how "we know they will likely take it".

You sound a lot like the type of people you're claiming to hate.

Essentially Colbert is saying that Trump letting Putin take advantage of him. Its just a colourful way of saying it.
No, colorful does not equal absurdly offense.
If one of them were a girl, then there would be no homosexual aspect to the implication. Which is that Trump is allowing himself to get ****ed.
Yes, because if he said that about a woman, that would be totally fine. Seriously dude, are you advocating for hate speech here?

Men and women have been doing that in every combination since time immemorial.
I thought we all decided that wasn't right?

I'm afraid it might be you lot seeing the homosexual inference as insulting who are guilty of being homophobic in this case.
Face palm.

As for giving Colbert a pass, sure. I admit that freely and frankly I would give anyone a pass for insulting Trump in public with a big audience.
And there we go, your admission you are partisan beyond a fault.

Or in private on their own for that matter. The man has no redeeming features that I can find. The very sight of him disgusts me.
Fair enough, but remember that being an asshole, even to an asshole, still makes you an asshole.

Anyway, luckily for Colbert, he lives in a country where he can say whatever the hell he wants.
And where we can say whatever we want about him.
Since Trump has decided that option 1 above is not for him at any point in his life, everyone else can option 2 in his direction until the cows come home. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Yes, lets all be like Trump! That'll show him!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2017, 03:07 AM

If a woman was referred to as being someone's ****holster would that be a heterosexual slur?
Yes, and he would have gotten in ten times the trouble for it.

That would be, like, insanely degrading in the context of several thousand years of men using women's sexuality as a weapon against them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules