Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FedEx lost my G5 :-(

FedEx lost my G5 :-(
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 01:32 AM

Well ... I was supposed to have my reburb 2.0 Ghz G5 on Friday. Then when it didn't show I called them and they said it would be here today. I called about 3 separate times today and they said "Yeah ... it'll be there. Don't worry ... it's on the truck. It'll be there late probably."

Then ... nothing.

I call now and nobody even knows where it went, but they are not open until Tuesday. At that time I can "put a trace on it ... it I want". (Why would I not want to?)

I guess I'll also call Apple tomorrow. I don't know what they can do.

When the heck did Apple stop using Airborne? The *ONLY* carriers I've ever had consistent trouble with were: FedEx & UPS. I absolutely HATE when I see a tracking number from one of these two organizations. I was hoping that FedEx might restore my faith this time.

The bad part is that the 2.0 refurbs are sold out. Unless this one turns up I'll be sticking with my old Cube for another year or so.
( Last edited by driven; Jun 20, 2004 at 09:32 PM. )

johnnydr87
Jun 20, 2004, 02:19 AM

that sucks so hard. i really hope you get it back man. i would go ballistic if they lost it and i didn't get a refund (sort of...)

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2004, 02:31 AM

Lost, I doubt it. It was most likely stolen off the truck by either by the loaders or drivers, or sometimes in between. Bottem line, it won't be found. FedEX will buy you a new one. If your really pissed about it, they might get you extra ram or something.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by oscar:
Lost, I doubt it. It was most likely stolen off the truck by either by the loaders or drivers, or sometimes in between. Bottem line, it won't be found. FedEX will buy you a new one. If your really pissed about it, they might get you extra ram or something.
They are VERY indifferent about it on the phone. They come just short of saying "Don't bother us with this stuff."

It's VERY frustrating.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 04:10 AM

I hate fedex.

The usual UPS guy is one we know.. nice guy..

The usual airborne guy is funny. He normally listens to loud rock music in his van lol.... it's how we know when we're getting something (nobody else here really gets stuff shipped airborne)

The thing I HATE about UPS and fedex ground is they don't deliver until 8pm here.. airborne? NO MATTER WHAT at around noon. I LOOOOVE how they're so much quicker.

Thus I hate UPS -- and their tracking is shitty sometimes -- but nothing's worse than fedex...

As for airborne well.. ^_^ airborne is awesome for some things
Aloha

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 05:33 AM

Go. Ballistic.

If FedEx don't find it, DEMAND that they buy you a replacement and compensate you.

Take nothing less.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Go. Ballistic.

If FedEx don't find it, DEMAND that they buy you a replacement and compensate you.

Take nothing less.
we don't have time to stop for gas

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Go. Ballistic.

Take nothing less.
Yes, do that.
When UPS had lost my 12" 500 MHz CD-RW iBook, I got a 14" 600 MHz Combo-Drive iBook, in terms of money $1000 in additional value (I'm not counting that my machine was `old' ...).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 08:51 AM

I'll let you know how it goes.

Apparently FedEx home is closed until Tuesday.
I'll contact Apple today and give them a heads up.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 10:40 AM

Two questions:

1) What does "When the heck did FedEx stop using Airborne?" mean? Fedex and Airborne are two separate companies.

2) You have the tracking number. Where does their website say it is?

Chris

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by driven:
I'll let you know how it goes.

Apparently FedEx home is closed until Tuesday.
I'll contact Apple today and give them a heads up.
Tell them you need to work with it. You don't have a computer to work with now and you have deadlines. Works rather well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 20, 2004, 11:30 AM

FedEx is absolutely correct in not much caring that you complain: reimbursements go to the shipper, not the recipient. FedEx will not pay you back if they determine they lost your computer, they will pay Apple, who is responsible for shipping you a new one.

tooki

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
FedEx is absolutely correct in not much caring that you complain: reimbursements go to the shipper, not the recipient. FedEx will not pay you back if they determine they lost your computer, they will pay Apple, who is responsible for shipping you a new one.

tooki

They should care. I do tend to avoid vendors who use unreliable shipping companies. There is never an advantage in blowing off the person who is receiving your package. If I get annoyed enough to cancel my order (and I might) do you think Apple will be pleased?

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Two questions:

1) What does "When the heck did FedEx stop using Airborne?" mean? Fedex and Airborne are two separate companies.

2) You have the tracking number. Where does their website say it is?

Chris
1) I meant when the heck did Apple stop using Airborne. (Thanks for the correction.)

2) The last update for the tracking was that it was UNLOADED from the delivery truck (after being "out for delivery" and put back in the terminal.) The next time I checked it the tracking file got corrupted. (It had it in San Diego at one hour, Atlanta the next hour and then back to San Diego, etc.etc.)
Odd

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 12:43 PM

1) OK. I thought you meant that.

2) That is odd.

My experiences with Fedex and UPS have always been positive while I absolutely hate Airborne. I guess we just have to realize that no shipper is perfect. Packages do get misplaced or lost despite the best technology. And even though you won't get the machine as soon as you'd hoped, you will get it.

Chris

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 12:43 PM

Ok, I just spoke with Apple. A few tid-bits:

- They can't do anything until Tuesday either. FedEx Home closes until then.

- FedEx Home is a sub-contractor for FedEx. Once FedEx turns a package over to them there is no more tracking information until the actual delivery takes place.

- Apple sees the same corrupted tracking file that I do. Translation: All tracking information is useless for this package.

- He mentioned that they are having a TON Of problems with FedEx for home delivery. (If anyone else orders something you should specify a different carrier until they get this worked out.) They no longer use Airborne, but DHL is an option. (I've never used them.)

- If the computer does not show up by Tuesday then Apple will initiate a tracer on it. If they can't find it (however long that takes) then Apple will replace the unit. If they are out of Refurbs then I'll get a new unit. (Apple's customer servic is outstanding as always.)

So for now I'll be patient and see what next week brings.

Until then ...

delete
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 01:57 PM

Just out of curiosity did anyone say why Fedex Home is closed on Monday?

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by delete:
Just out of curiosity did anyone say why Fedex Home is closed on Monday?
It's so they can deliver on Saturday's when more people are home.
They operate Tuesday through Saturday.
(This is actually a very good idea.)

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 20, 2004, 02:48 PM

Apple will take care of it. When fedex or ups have not delivered in the past b/c they lost an item or it wound up on the other side of the country sitting in some middle-of-nowhere warehouse, Apple's response has been, 'We're shipping you a replacement; we'll take care of UPS.'

Call Apple ASAP.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

superfula
Senior User
Jun 20, 2004, 04:41 PM

1) I meant when the heck did Apple stop using Airborne. (Thanks for the correction.)
Almost all large companies don't like having all their eggs in one basket, so they use multiple shipping services. I know Apple uses UPS for most of their corporate shipping needs. IE...shipping software and hardware to Apple stores.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2004, 04:53 PM

They no longer use Airborne, but DHL is an option. (I've never used them.)
DHL bought airborne.

And, I can't really speak for DHL, but I know their computer operations can take a nuclear war in one area, a major storm in another, and just keep going.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

superfula
Senior User
Jun 20, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
Not always. All damages/lost products are taken care of on a case by case basis. One may go through the shipper, another might go straight to the recipient.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 05:51 PM

This happened to me a couple of years ago, i purchased a apple ibook, used fed ex ground shipping.... waited... waited.... waited.... it 2 extra weeks to get here, not to mention i had cancelled the apple order and wen to a local re-seller to pick one up. But thats just an experiance, wait it out im sure it will show up.

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 09:09 PM

I have a couple of friends & family members at the Fed Ex Corporate office in Memphis, I sent them this thread to give them a sense of how they are currently being perceived by a few people.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 09:39 PM

Call Apple. Ask THEM to find your computer. Tell them you are desparate for it because your old Apple computer died. Tell them you are thinking of buying a dell.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2004, 11:08 PM

You know, its not a good idea to do that unless its your last resort. If you cry wolf that you're going to buy a Dell and basically go desperate on them when its completely unnecessary because Apple will do the right thing anyhow 99% of the time - you're just making it easier for them to laught at you and harder for the person who truly is desperate to be taken seriously.

Always treat others with respect at first. Only if they disrespect you later do you decide if that's the right course of action.

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
You know, its not a good idea to do that unless its your last resort. If you cry wolf that you're going to buy a Dell and basically go desperate on them when its completely unnecessary because Apple will do the right thing anyhow 99% of the time - you're just making it easier for them to laught at you and harder for the person who truly is desperate to be taken seriously.

Always treat others with respect at first. Only if they disrespect you later do you decide if that's the right course of action.
Yes, don't overdo it.
I just had to point out that I depend on the computer in a very `normal' manner twice and I was granted this generous `upgrade'. Don't hope for too much, though. They could upgrade you to a `new' Dual 2 GHz with the same (or better) specs for no extra price.

The policy in Europe is that you are upgraded to the next-best machine in most cases. You don't have to ridicule yourself.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:16 AM

One of my switcher buddies ordered the dual 2.0 when they were annnounced. When it finally arrived via Fedex, the driver left the box for the computer, the 20" display, and the other little stuff on his doorstep without a signature. It started raining and by the time he got home, the boxes were soaking wet. Luckily the equipment was not damaged. Amazing they could leave $7000 of stuff in the rain.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 11:13 AM

Update: I've received a call from Apple, and subsequently a call from FedEx. Same deal: They can't do much until someone shows up on Tuesday. All parties agree that what's transpired up until now is "odd" at best. They've been able to retrieve most of the tracking information and they suspect that this will all be resolved by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apple, for it's part has been *OUTSTANDING*. They have reassured me that I'll have *some* machine at least as good as the one I ordered or better without additional cost to me. They've made me happy that I continue to do business with them. (Heck, just the fact that I didn't have to ask for a follow-up ... they just did it on my first inqury is impressive.)
( Last edited by driven; Jun 21, 2004 at 11:57 AM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
One of my switcher buddies ordered the dual 2.0 when they were annnounced. When it finally arrived via Fedex, the driver left the box for the computer, the 20" display, and the other little stuff on his doorstep without a signature. It started raining and by the time he got home, the boxes were soaking wet. Luckily the equipment was not damaged. Amazing they could leave $7000 of stuff in the rain.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

Update: I've received a call from Apple, and subsequently a call from FedEx. Same deal: They can't do much until someone shows up on Tuesday. All parties agree that what's transpired up until now is "odd" at best. They've been able to retrieve most of the tracking information and they suspect that this will all be resolved by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apple, for it's part has been *OUTSTANDING*. They have reassured me that I'll have *some* machine at least as good as the one I ordered or better without additional cost to me. They've made me happy that I continue to do business with them. (Heck, just the fact that I didn't have to ask for a follow-up ... they just did it on my first inqury is impressive.
Same for me. It's covered by an insurance and the girl from Apple service told me that the insurance is quite `generous', i. e. equivalent or better of the current line-up.

My best friend once sent in his Pismo (AppleCare, broken headphones jack) and the display broke. So he could chose: either they would replace the display or 1500 Euro! The machine was almost three years old!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 01:12 PM

Heheh. This thread has been worth the read, providing a hearty chuckle.

To make a long story short: FedEx Home didn't meet an estimated delivery date. Annoying for sure, but to be expected when you pay for a less expidited delivery method like FedEx Home.

FedEx recently aquired a shipping company, (sorry, forgot which one) and rebranded it FedEx home. I would be willing to bet that there are legacy and redundent databases being bridged until a more integrated system is ready, if ever.

FedEx Home deliveries are handled by nearly independent drivers, operating largely on their own schedules. If you live in a remote area, deliveries will likely be delayed. Drivers will wait a day or two and accumulate packages from certain regions before delivering the whole lot.

One time, I even had the status of "On Truck for Delivery" three days in a row. Finally I called and arranged to pick it up at the distribution center.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Amazing they could leave $7000 of stuff in the rain.
A friend of mine had a computer delivered by UPS; or at least they said they delivered it. They had no signature and it was nowhere to be found. He was on the phone with them for a WEEK trying to trace the package, but UPS just kept saying "Well, the driver says it was delivered." Finally he thought he'd go to his nearest neighbors to see if they had taken delivery.

Next door, UNDER THE PORCH, was his computer. It had been sitting outside, in plain view of the street, for a week. In Minnesota. In January.

I personally refuse to use UPS anyway, because their drivers CANNOT find my house. They deliver my packages to the house on the right, and to the house on the left, but they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to my house. It's very bizarre.

shiff
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 03:05 PM

I had this happen a year ago when I bought my first apple computer. What will happen is you will contact Apple and tell them the Fedex has said they lost it. I think fedex will give you a claim number.

Apple and Fedex will sort it out and send you out another computer. The only bad thing is sometimes you have to wait for Apple and Fedex to sort it all out which took a week when they did it for me.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

Well ... today went bad to worse.

I got a call this morning that said they found the machine and it will be delivered today. I reshuffle my schedule so I can work from home today. (Re-route my calls, notify folks I'm supposed to meet with, etc.) This is the 3rd day I've done this now.

8PM tonight ... still nothing.

A call to FedEx reveals that the driver couldn't find my house so he wrote "incorrect address" on the box. The girl on the phone verified my address as correct.

I then told her that I'll be out of town starting tomorrow for about a week. I asked her what my options are. (For example: Can I pick it up at the terminal?) She said home deliveries are not permitted to be picked up.

She then went on to say that 2 delivery attempts have been made. (To someone else's house I presume?) When/if they show up next time it will be a 3rd attempt and they will send the package back to Apple.

At this point I got Apple back on the phone. They managed to correct the FedEx folks about the # of delivery attempts and that 3 attempts *will* be tried. This still doesn't help me as nobody will be home for a week. (This package has been floating around the system for like 10 days now .. I gave it enough time to arrive before I had to leave).

I asked if Apple would allow them to redirect the package to a neighbor's house. They won't.

So:
- It's coming (maybe) tomorrow.
- I won't be home for a week.
- I can't pick it up at the terminal.
- I can't redirect it to a neighbor's house.

So ... the package will be shipped back to Apple.

Apple cheerfully says that they will be happy to ship it someplace else when they get it back. <GROAN>

I'm ready to just cancel the order. I'm getting buyer's remorse anyway and I've already lost too many days of my life waiting for this thing to just start over. <SIGH>

Buy retail or don't buy at all apparently.

(Sorry ... I'm just frustrated and dejected ... I don't blame Apple so much as I blame FedEx)

misc
Jun 22, 2004, 11:54 PM

Well ... today went bad to worse.

<SNIP>

(Sorry ... I'm just frustrated and dejected ... I don't blame Apple so much as I blame FedEx)
Sorry man.. I feel for you. When I got my iMac it was floating around the country for two weeks. I complained enough to Apple and they promised me a free gift. It showed up in an hour. I wonder what the gift would have been.... Oh well.

Not sure I see what Apple did wrong here. They seem to be helping out in every way possible?

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by superfula:
Not always. All damages/lost products are taken care of on a case by case basis. One may go through the shipper, another might go straight to the recipient.
My experience has been that the carrier will not deal with a claim unless the shipper initiates the claims process. If they do end up cutting a check (remember - none of them like to do that!), the check will be made payable to the shipper, not the receipient. The shipper is the one who initiated the relationship with the carrier, the one who paid the insurance, and the one who must file a claim.

Have you had a different experience with one of the major carriers? Please share the details with us so we know how to leverage the carriers in the event of future problems.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by misc:
Sorry man.. I feel for you. When I got my iMac it was floating around the country for two weeks. I complained enough to Apple and they promised me a free gift. It showed up in an hour. I wonder what the gift would have been.... Oh well.

Not sure I see what Apple did wrong here. They seem to be helping out in every way possible?
Apple didn't do anything wrong except:

- I wanted them to call FedEx and have it shipped to my neighbor's house. (FedEx said they would do that if the shipper made the request.)
- I told Apple that without such a change that the computer would be coming back to them and in that event I'd probably cancel my order. (I was VERY polite about it, this wasn't a threat.) They were like "Ok, we'll make sure you get a prompt refund if that's what you decide."

They did nothing wrong, but I really didn't feel like they were trying to help me much either.

I think I'm just used to them going so far above and beyond that when they act like a "normal" business it doesn't feel right. <GRIN>

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 02:28 AM

**** fedex. They ****ed me last year out of the wind tunnel power supply exchange. I lost a few bucks, way more in time. I will never use them again. Over a few bucks. They would rather blow off the customer.

UPS has never let me down, every year we even give the driver a christmas present.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2004, 08:25 AM

I agree about FedEx Home Delivery (ground). They are structured in a way that results in poor service. They are a completely seperate business unit and have a drastically different quality of service than the original FedEx company.

FedEx Home has always missed estimated deliveries to my home and office. Most of the time, a package will be on the truck for delivery for a few days before the first attempt is made.

Luckily I've been able to strong arm them into letting me pick packages up at a local distribution center when delivery was completely botched for over 10 days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules