Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Command + Control + Power does it work on your new PB?

Command + Control + Power does it work on your new PB?
Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2005, 07:42 AM

Yeah i tried to force restart my brand new 15" PB the other day. Command + Control + Power did not seem to restart the machine as it does with my last Powerbook 1.5Ghz 15" rev 2

soooo Command + Control + Power does it work on your new PB?

chromos
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 01:34 PM

Works on my 15" DL PB. Have you tried resetting the PMU?

ibook_steve
Nov 18, 2005, 02:19 PM

You shouldn't even have to reset the PMU to make this work. The force reset is directly implemented in logic to the reset signal of the PMU. Can you still do a normal restart from the Apple menu? Does pushing the power button still bring up the sleep, shutdown, restart dialog box?

Steve

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 02:34 PM

sometimes you have to hit all three keys several times in succession, until they kick in.
(just mentioning...u probably knew that )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 02:35 PM

Haven't tried it; working right now.

Slightly OT: has anyone figured out if any of the OS 8 commands work in different ways; e.g. hard drive spin-down was cmd-opt-0, or maybe it was cmd-opt-shift-0, anyway, either of the two worked for that, and sleep. I think there was a screen off one too. Anyone? Sure would save the road warriors some battery power, albeit probably a negligible amount.

ibook_steve
Nov 18, 2005, 03:36 PM

iomatic: you should start a new thread.

fisherKing: I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but you shouldn't have to push the key combination more than once for it to work.

Steve

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
iomatic: you should start a new thread.

fisherKing: I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but you shouldn't have to push the key combination more than once for it to work.

Steve

not a joke at all...sometimes the first strike doesn't work, so you have to press the key combo again (sometimes several times), until the pb force finally responds...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ibook_steve
Nov 18, 2005, 06:08 PM

I've never had to push it more than once. As I said, the force reset key combo is implemented in actual logic gates directly into the PMU. This is because if the machine is completely frozen, you have to be able to reboot the machine. The only explanation for having to push it more than once would be if there was a problem with the keys on your keyboard or the power button connection.

Steve

kefkafloyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2005, 06:40 PM

If cmd-ctrl-power doesn't work, simply hold the power button down for a few seconds. The machine will shut itself off. Then you can turn it back on.

This works on all New World macs too, FWIW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules